General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
lukee0705 wrote:
For our son to go on holiday we have been asked by the tour operator for all us parents to write a letter of permission for our children to travel, we just all very confused on what we need to write on this letter!

It all seems very daft because if its only a letter then they could easily forge one!! :think

Why would they forge one ? Presumably you are using a reputable travel agent who's reputation would be on the line if they deal in forgeries and could then end up in court (probably being sued by you or other parents if something went wrong).

If this is a teenage child travelling on their own who is betweent the age of 16 and 18 they may need some form of legal permission to travel from the parents.

Or is it for your own son to go on holiday with you ?

You might need to give more detail for people to help properly ?

I dont see why you have a problem with supplying this ?
i assume they are travelling without you, if so we had this recently when i took my daughters friend on holiday with us. the mother had to write a letter for me to take to check in, saying she gave us consent for and put the daughters name in full to go out of the country and put our name in full, she included all her contact numbers, home, mobile work etc, she also put a note saying if anything was to happen with her daughter regarding accident ,illness etc i was given permission to deal with this. we were even asked at check in either side, but you do need it incase
They have booked with olympic holidays,

Thanks ellie meg that helped but they wont be travelling with any parent however It will most likely be the same kind of letter wont it?

They will all be 17 at the time and olympic holidays have asked for permission letters just were not sure what to write on them

Thanks! :)
As Olympic Holidays want the letter, they should offer you some advice about what the letter should cover.
Why would they forge one ? Presumably you are using a reputable travel agent who's reputation would be on the line if they deal in forgeries and could then end up in court (probably being sued by you or other parents if something went wrong).

I think luke probably meant if it was written letter the kids could have easily forged one for themselves.
Speaking as someone who frequently takes other people's children on trips and holiday. If you are pasing your child into the care of a third party then you need to give them written permision to be in loco parentis. They need your permission to act in your stead as the parent of your child.

Think of the letters you have read (hopefully) and signed for your kid's schools. The person taking care of your child needs permission to make decsions regarding the care and treatment of said child. However I would want in black and white the terms and conditions that your child is being cared under, such as who the person(s) are supervising your child and their position within the company, any relevent qualifications etc. With a school trip this is a given but otherwise who knows? Presumably anyone put in charge of a child will have a CRB check?
If I'm reading the op's comments correctly I think she's saying that her son's going with a party of his friends who are all under 18. If this is the case it's normal practice for he TO to ask for a letter from the parents stating that they are booking a holiday and travelling with their parents consent.

I'm glad you're sorted with Angie's recommended letter.
That's the way I read it Shirley.

And another reason they want it is that if there is any legal dispute the Agent or Tour Operator will be able to sue the person who signed the letter! This has cropped up in other posts, a group of 17 year olds book a holiday but then fall out, someone doesn't want to go and hasn't paid the full amount (or lands the others with an under-occupancy charge for an appartment) - argument breaks out and parent who thought she was only giving permission to travel ends up with the bill.
I think TO have to cover all areas now where children are concerned especially after the Madeleine McCann incident. My friend from works parents were taking her child (their grandchild) on holiday but were stopped at check in as they had no documents with permission for travel. They had to phone my friend at work and she had to go home pick up birth certificates and her passport then go to the airport and confirm her consent.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.