Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
i think the standard in all the HTOP hotels has gone down this year -maybe not the amaika. they seem to be on a very strict cost cutting exercise.
they have changed the AI drinks policy so that you only get 1 drink per card, with a maximum of 2 cards being used by 1 person, which can be a bit of a pain.
the quality of the food also has gone down, with less choices and a lot cheaper cuts of meat in evidence.
you should be able to use the other hotels, the royal star in lloret has a indoor pool, but i am not sure if the free bus between resorts will be running.
access to the amaika has been severely restricted since 3 years ago, check out their website for more details.
Just had a phone call to say the Olympic is closing early so we can't go there for xmas. Anyone else booked in there for xmas? We are now going to the Calella Palace. I have read so many conflicting reviews I don't know who to believe :que Perhaps someone can explain the 1drink per card rule to me. Is this your card you get when you check in, that last time we had to produce to get a drink.? Does this mean my OH can only get his drink and not mine?
thanks
the calella palace is just round the corner from the olympic and is a 4* hotel, so in theory you have got a result.
if you are AI then you get your photocard when you check in that you use to get drinks. in the past you could get 2 drinks per card, so a couple could go to the bar and get 4 drinks at a time.
now you only get 1 drink per card, but 1 person can go to the bar with 2 cards (that is the max they allow) ie yours and your hubbies, and get 2 drinks.
this was introduced to cut down the amount people could get at one time, and the net effect is that if you do want to have a good drink then you spend more time queueing than you do sat down drinking.
returned from calella palace on 27th dec. I have written a review. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Food ok, we learnt to pay 1.10 euro and upgrade our brandy to soberano!!! Very good measures :cheers One bad fault, no comfortable chairs anywhere. The noise in the bar was horrendous and we looked for a lounge without success :que They seemed to have a job lot of chairs suitable for a canteen.Apart from that Calella old town is still pleasant.
PS they reopened the Olympic couple of days before we came home, lots of French I understand.

fraggle aka majorcagirl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.