Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hurghada?
13 Posts
Hi Jay

I've been to Sharm 4 times and Hurghada 11 times in the last 6 years. Sharm and Hurghada feel very different and reading this forum over the years it appears that many people who like one place dislike the other! I like both (am going to Iberotel Palace, Sharm in March and probably back to Grand Resort, Hurghada in the summer) but on balance probably prefer Hurghada.

In my opinion the main differences are:

- Fewer Brits in Hurghada though numbers are increasing

- Beaches in Sharm offer much better off beach snorkelling - normally organised boat trip to Giftun or similar required from Hurghada

- Hurghada has more of an Egyptian feel than the sanitised version that is Sharm and has a thriving local community

- Some parts of Hurghada are distinctly shabby with abandoned or half built buildings

Like Sharm, Hurghada has distinct areas. We normally stay in the Village Road area as we like being able to step straight out of the hotel and access choice of shops, restaurants etc

Whereabouts are you thinking of staying? We have stayed at the Marriott, Grand and Grand Resort.

If I can help with any questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Caro
Hi Caro,Because we will be at our daughters near Gatwick we thought we would try Hurghada as we cant fly there from our local airport.
Whilst I was looking through Thomson and Thomas Cook website last night I saw this hotel advertised in Hurghada at an incredible price(£355 each) for 2 weeks AI on December 3rd.
I looked at the reviews on TA and the recent ones are very good.It the Sindbad Aqua club resort.
Its one of 3 hotels that you can use and has 11 restaurants and lots of different areas with a water park and other pools.
I know it wont be 5 star and the only complaints seem to be about the small shower cubicle and the Ru*****s!
It will be our 4th holiday this year and we are hoping to go away in January so price was a big deciding factor.
Its situated near the new shopping mall in Village road and Giften island is just off shore from the hotel.The street outside is called the Boulevard.
I did fancy the Sunrise Makadi bay hotel but was put off by it being quite a way from the resort.
We just want 2 weeks warmth on our bones before winter sets in so we went to see if Thomas Cook would match the web price this morning,and they DID so we booked it!
I remember answering your posts when you were going to the Conrad a couple of years ago.
I fancy going back there when in reopens but as its now £1300+ each it is definitely out of our budget. :rofl PS,I went straight to Holland and Barrett to buy some ultra strength Acidophilus :rofl
Hi Jay Trip,

We have been to Sharm and Makadi Bay several times. To compare both resorts, I would say that Sharm is commericalised and purpose built whereas Hurghada is more of an Egyptian city and rough round the edges in places.

Have been to the Sunrise Royal Makadi Bay Hotel twice, and it is without a doubt, the best hotel that we have stayed at in Egypt, and find the hotels in this area to be of a higher standard than ones we have seen in Hurghada and been to in Sharm. The fact that the hotel is outside Hurghada isn't a problem, as it is only 20 mins by taxi into Hurghada. The hotel is situated directly on it''s own beach from where you can pick up a boat trip to Giftun Island.

Regards,
Pat
Hi Jay,
Wow what a price, who could resist a deal like that! Am totally jealous, could do with some 'warmth on the bones' too. Having only been away twice this year I seem to be having withdrawal symptons and the end of March is a long time to wait.

Suggested things to do over your 2 weeks are:

boat trip to Giftun (not exactly 'just offshore') for snorkelling

visit new marina

sit in the cafe (Mermaid cafe?) near the Mermaid roundabout next to the Marina at evening rush hour and watch the traffic chaos - priceless, totally entertaining

visit old area of Dahar- not for the feint hearted or hygeine freaks

travel on a local bus (white mini bus, 1LE per person. If there are others on board it is a bus, otherwise it is a taxi)

Hard Rock Cafe is on Village Rd about 5 minutes walk from Grand Resort

Jay, I do remember you helping out with information about the Conrad, thank you. Would you believe it is more than 3 years ago now? I loved the beach there and the view from the balcony was the best of any Egyptian hotel I've ever stayed in!

Regards, Caro
Thanks Pat and Caro,
I will go to the places you mentioned as I love wandering around areas that are off the tourist trail.
After a couple of days I get cabin fever and have to get of the hotel and get out and about!
When I said "off shore" I meant that on Google earth Giften Island was directly to the east of the hotel(if that makes sense?)
Can we walk to the new Marina or is it too far from the hotel?
Are the Taxis as bad as those in Sharm? :yikes
I have just got next years brochure and Thomas Cook are starting to fly to Hurghada from my local airport :tup Jay.
Hi Jay Trip,

If your hotel is near the Hard Rock Cafe as Caro has suggested then it would be a taxi ride away, although I'm not sure what the situation is with the local buses around that area, also there are many shops and cafes within that area.

On previous visits we have visited the Hard Rock Cafe 4 times. The food was always very good and very reasonably price, although drinks can be on the pricey side. Seven of us went August 09 and if I recall correctly we paid about £130 including drinks (a lot cheaper than what we would have paid back home!)

Can also recommend the White Elephant Restaurant at the Marina. Three of us ate there, 3 starters, 3 mains 1 desert with drinks and it came to about £40.

Pat
Hi Pat,Hard Rock Cafe is not a place my hubby would want to visit in Egypt as he prefers local restaurants.
I chose the hotel based on price mainly but as there are 11 restaurants to choose from(we can use the other 2 Sindbad hotels)I think if we do eat out it will be because he wants a steak!
He ate steak 13 nights out of 14 on our holiday in October in Turkey and this caused many arguments. :rofl
When we were in Sharm we ate in Dananeer restaurant which if there was a similar one in Hurghada,I am sure we would eat there.
Ive been reading about the local buses and they appeal to me as I had an awful experience in a taxi in Sharm :yikes
I am looking forward to a new holiday experience and a bit of sunshine and intend to visit the Dahar area :sun2
Hi Jay,
You mentioned bad experience in taxi in Sharm. Beware of the taxi drivers in Hurghada - i still use them, even by myself sometimes, but be aware that some (it seems an increasing number) will try to swindle you. For example, use sleight of hand to switch the note you gave them for a smaller one etc. I have also been indecently assaulted though I was so stunned by the unexpected grope that I failed to take the taxi number and did not alert the hotel security guards. I now make a point of looking at the taxi number on the side of the cab and reading it out aloud so the driver knows I've noted it!

However, not all of the drivers are rogues - have had some really enjoyable taxi rides. Just have to keep wits about you!
Regards, Caro
Hi Caro,What an awful experience for you!
We like to use the transport the locals use wherever we go and only found out about the mini buses in Sharm after we got back.
We have been on some strange transport over the years but we are really mainly going for a relaxing time,but I know after a couple of days I usually leave my hubby in the hotel and go off exploring :yikes
The hotel also has a shuttle bus to the marina and other parts of the city.
I noticed they also have free bike hire so I will wait until I get there to see what state they are in. :yikes
I have read about them changing the notes to smaller notes so its best to be fore warned.
I am really looking forward to the holiday now,especially as the review posted today on TA is excellent :sun2
Jay, Can't pretend to have been traumatised by the experience but am annoyed at myself for not causing a fuss and contacting the tourist police! People who do that do no favours to the honest taxi drivers.

If your hotel is where I think it is, its in the pedestrianised area which operates a one way system allowing only taxis not buses. If you don't want to miss out on the bus experience try taking a cab to Dahar and get a bus back asking to be dropped off near the marina.

There are lots of local cafes in the area - its lovely to sit out late evening and watch the world go by.

Have a wonderful time. Hope you get to love the place as much as I do!

Regards, Caro
Hi Caro,I have discovered the hotel is next door to the Promenade Mall and the Siva Grand hotel.
I only booked the holiday on Wednesday and got the tickets this morning :tup
Would it be best to take $30 for the visa or just pay in sterling?
Can we walk to the Marina from the hotel?
We are used to walking from Icmeler to Marmaris(about 8km)?
We also set off to walk to the Conrad when we were staying at the Holiday Village in Nabq bay,but after an hour or so we came to a crossroads and werent sure which way to go.When we got back to the hotel and asked the staff which way we should have gone they thought we were mad :rofl :rofl
I cant wait to get away from the manic run up to Christmas. :sun2
Hi Jay,
Use sterling to pay for the visa - the visa clerks made it very diifficult for a couple in front of me last time when they tried to pay in dollars (despite $15 on visa itself). Its normally £13 but I always have £15 (10 note and 5 pound coins) ready just in case.

Regarding walking to the new marina I wouldn't venture it but it sounds as though you might be able to! I don't know whether your hotel is beach or desert side of the promenade. If it is beachside turn right as you exit the hotel. Carry on till you get to the end of the prom and then follow the road right towards the Marriott Hotel. Just think of it as following the line of the coast! The land past the Marriott is a bit barren for a while then you will reach the Sunrise, other hotels and the more lively district of Sekala. Continue along the street of shops and cafes till you come to the roundabout with the mermaid in the middle then turn right at the cafe on the corner. I think you then turn left - the access to the marina is a bit dark and shabby next to a coach/car park.

Good luck with your walk - let me know how you get on!

Have a good holiday, Caro
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.