Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Hurricane Sandy
5 Posts
I saw the devastation caused by Katrina on New Orleans. This year, we had the hurricane warnings in Mexico and I felt safe in the hotel and was a bit excited if truth be told about experiencing one. then I came to my senses with the realisation that not everyone was in a safe place. And that I didn't have to worry about my home being destroyed.
Do you think that enough is being done to protect people? Have they all get safe shelters they can go to?
I think that enough is done in Cuba in that they have very efficient evacuation procedures and it is hard to see what more they can do. Everybody, and I do mean everybody, in the expected path of a hurricane is evacuated. The army trucks turn up, you are allowed one case to take with you and whole towns are trucked off to army camps out of the path of the hurricane. Hence their usually low casualty figures. When I asked my landlady in 2005 wasn't she worried about her home being looted while she was away from it she looked at me really strangely and said 'No, who is around to do it?'

During the hurricane season, there is always spare hotel capacity kept ready so that tourists can be moved to other resorts in areas out of the path of the hurricane. You might not be in the hotel you booked but you will be safe. The reason I now try and avoid going in our summer months is because of the humidity, not because of the hurricane risk.

I have no experience of the situation in the US but I hope that they have learnt from the disaster that Katrina was (in all senses of the word). Yes, they warn people that they should leave the area but seem to leave it to everybody to find their own transport etc and I am not aware of them having proper hurricane shelters that people can go to knowing that they will find food and shelter etc. Cuban friends were shocked that in 2005 in New Orleans the only shelter for so many people was an open air sports stadium. It was literally unthinkable to them that this would happen in a country far richer than Cuba.

SM
They did have buses to evacuate but not nearly enough. It was horrific viewing the thousands of houses, a lot with the sign that said how many had died there. There wasn't enough done to get folks to a safe place in New orleans. Also, they couldn't force folks to leave their homes anyway. There were horrific stories about care homes. Cuba has it right- get them all out, regardless .
the photos tell the story of what they had to face after. Even with the best laid plans, there is heartbreak.
We were in Cuba when hurricane Sandy struck. We were very lucky though as we were up north in Varadero and there was no damage.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.