Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
I am Maltese
23 Posts
hmmm let me think.

whats the status with the bus network? still got the 40's style bus active?

where abouts in malta do you live?

and..

do emirates still operate in, what a/c do they use normally 777 or a330
At the present, the government is receiving tenders for a new bus service and new, less polluting buses, possibly electric cars !
I live in the center of Malta, next to San Anton Gardens
Emitates still operates here , but not sure about the kind of carrier. Will have to check
ive visted malta a good 8 or 9 times in my life, im only 22. Love it there. Family were stationed there with the raf (before i was born) cant remember exactly where they lived but my grandad used to work on code breaking and the like underground.

is there still a malta airshow?
I am 60 , and remember well the British Forces. We owe a lot to the British, who gave us our second official language.
Yes probably your father used to work at Lascaris, underneath the Valletaa Bastions, were there is still the war rooms. In fact now many sites used during the war have been turned into a museum.
Incidentally, I am an ex Radio Officer ( operator & technician) and know quite well what you mean by codes ! I am still active as an amateur (ham) operator.

Just a few weeks ago, we had this year's airshow. Yes still going strong an better every year !
This year I remained at my summer residence at Qawra, St Paul's Bay and still am here, the weather has been superb these last few weeks ! I normally live at Attard.
must be a weird feeling to see so many british and german tourists walking around after all thats happened. Yes i think thats the place he worked, i have visted it myself numerous occasions. I had to laugh at a travel agent trying to sell me a holiday to malta other week, didnt know how to say Qawra, with that said im sure she wasnt the only one. my last visit to Malta was at the Qawra Palace, its not what it used to be in my opinion.

I remember the vulcan crashing at malta many years ago, horrific.

i love the history of malta, find it so interesting. What happened to the train line once used in malta, was that closed before WW2?
Yes I know the Qawra Palace. One of the finest site to stay at Qawra. It is a pitty thou that many tourists complain that there is no beach. Actually they tried to make a man made beach, but the sand got carried away during winter time . So this year , at the end of September, they moved all the sand in into a heap !
I cannot even remember the railway. It used to run to where I live at Attard.It was'nt economically viable and did not last long I do remember however the Lift,which used to run from Upper Barraca Gardens, near Castille down to the port. It was very near Lascaris Wharf. . I do not know when it was your last visit to Malta, but since 2008, we are using the euro currency, a bit of a drawback to you, with the Sterling
it doesnt take long to find a beach, malta is a massive island, so that cant be a good enough excuse not to go to the Qawra Palace to be honest, Sand has a tendancy to move about (think the technical term is Longshore drift)

I am very fond of the views from Barraca Gardens, lots of memories of chasing birds around the place and watching the ships move around, shame the Royal Navy dont have much of a presence there no more, but the harbour is very beautiful.

Money has a big say in where people visit at the moment with the economy the way it is, i am not sure there are too many places at the moment that you can get a good deal from.

One question just popped into my head; Where do you go for your holidays, do you travel abroad somewhere or do you just do domestic breaks?

cheers
rich
whats happened/happening to the Old Jerma Palace in Marsascala? i remember staying there once many years ago and thought it was very nice, when i do visit we usually end up at the Mellieha Bay Hotel, New Dolmon or the Preluna
If I am in the mood for a sunny holiday, I stay at Qara/Bugibba. There are no places like it not even popular Spain. I challenge every med resort. there is no night like a Maltese night in summer.Anyway Its not WHERE it happens but WHAT happens. Malta is not a popular island that makes headline news, but must admit .,very few places on earth are like it for weather, culture, history etc etc etc . Many so called important cities are merely rhetoric and have nothing to offer.

The Germa Palce Hotel has been dismantled and is for sale !
do you visit Gozo quite often?
Yes. occasionally I go to Gozo for a break. It is much more tranquil than Malta in Winter time
I love Gozo..we stay there more than Malta. We have friends who have property in Xaghra. We stay generally in either Xlendi or Marselforn.
Hi Richard, you say I
am very fond of the views from Barraca Gardens, lots of memories of chasing birds around
;)

Do you mean pigeons or crumpet ?, if crumpet I can'y blame you mate, Maltese birds are generall absolutely gorgeous, btw best not mention this to Mrs Sliema2 you know how funny women can get about things like this :rofl
Hello Sliema2, you of all people should no there are no pigeons in Malta as they have shot them all, along with all the seagulls and anything else that flys :(

Dave.
malti..we will be over to Malta in May next year as my other half will be taking some sort of scuab diving qualification that will enable him to dive really deep to the wrecks around Malta/Gozo ( beyond the recreational depths of 40m) but we are unsure which part of Malta is the best place to stay in as we generally stay in Gozo. Do you have any recommendations?

I think one of the wrecks he will be diving is the Blenheim Bomber so i guess we will need to be over on that side.

Many thanks.
Malti

I hope your kind offer to ask you a question is still open.

I note with interest that you live in Attard and have a summer residence as well in Qawra.

I have been coming to your lovely island since at least 1969 and have clocked up over 25 visits (lost count), my daughter is 13 and has been to Malta 10 times, we return again in August. She has a friend Martina who lives in Attard and her parents also have a summer residence, but I cannot for the life of me remember where it is. My cousin lives in Msida and her youngest daughter has just got engaged to Martina' older brother.

In the past we have always stayed at Mellieha Bay and know that area fairly well, in 2008 we stayed at the Radisson at Golden Bay and we are returning there this August with my brother and his family. We will be 8 of us and are looking for a cheap but good restaurant for our first night, hopefully not too far away. We do not mind driving to St Pauls, but do not want to go too far as we will not reach the hotel until 6pm and I am planning to drive to the supermarket in Mellieha before it closes at 7pm.

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Chris

:wave:
Hi, I my name is Phil and I am when in the island 9H3PM my UK call is G1LKJ can we make a contact, are your details on http://www.qrz.com?

Phil.
I don't think this member is coming back.
Okay thanks for the reply Glynis.

Phil.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.