Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Maltese Liquers
24 Posts
Bajtra is a Maltese prickly pear liqueur, based on a recipe developed by the Knights. not my cup of tea though.
Quite like the unique taste of Bajtra Liqueur though the delicate taste does seem to deteriorate with age when opened,

Trev
Annisette is really lovely, we always bring back a few bottles of Black Eagle, it keeps really well and the aniseed flavour never seems to weaken no matter how long you keep the bottle for.

Regards
Sliema2
Yep Sliema2 annisette is also an excellent liqueur. As it happens the first time I tasted it was when Sue my wife, brought it back recently. Unfortunately she only brought back the half size bottle! Honey liqueur is also one of our favourites,

Trev
Thank you for all the replies, I do drink an Anisette in Spain so I expect it is similar.
I looked at the Madalien website and contacted them and they sent desciptions of Anisette, Honey, Bajtra and Zeppis and pictures of the bottles.They also said
we will be more then glad to invite you to our shop in Naxxar and allow you to taste the liqueurs before you purchase.

I have also read elswhere of Kinnie. Is this a mixer and what does it taste of?
I'm looking forward to tasting them all!!
Sue
Hi Sue, I tried Kinnie for the first time last year. Can't remember too much what it tasted like but I wasn't impressed. The Maltese also like a lot of iced tea, but again I wasn't impressed. My Maltese friend particularly likes "ice tea peach" but I think it is an acquired taste
Jo
Hello
Kinnie?? Tastes of orange and herbs
Very nice. got one in the fridge now. last one mind.
Look here http://www.kinnie.com/
Hi Jo,

I can remember first tasting Kinnie many years ago and thought I'd found something Maltese I didn't like but I was wrong!

Though a sweet soft drink, it has a rather bitter adult after flavour reminiscent I always think, of Martini. This flavour I understand, is due to certain herbs that are added to the drink. I've now taken to drinking Kinnie in pints when I'm on hols driving around the Island in the hot weather and much prefer drinking it to coke. My 14 year old son is an addict and drinks gallons when he's in Malta. He brought back 18 cans recently and drinks one now and then just to taunt me!!! :no

Why the enterprising Maltese don't market Kinnie in the UK defeats me. :hmmm However I'm lead to believe that you can buy it in Australia. Kinnie is available in a low sugar diet variety and can be used to make cocktails,

Trev
I think Kinnie would taste better with lots of vodka added :roll:
Yeah lots of vodka to drown the taste of the kinnie cos its vile.
Kinnie is without doubt the king of soft drinks, I never drink fizzy drinks in the uk, but kinnie is a completely different experience altogether, there is nothing quite like a pint of ice cold kinnie on a boiling hot Maltese day, aaahhh it is pure bliss, 100% with you on this one Trev.

Regards
Sliema2

Ps, it does mix quite well with spitits, try it in brandy, whiskey or rum but only the cheap but respectable house varieties that you may get in The Sun in Splendour.
Glad someone agrees with me about Kinnie. Would recommend the fruit juice that comes in little glass bottles with metal lids. Bought some from the restaurant in the middle of nowhere at Rabat (down amongst all the trees) and it was gorgeous.
I will have to try this vodka and Kinnie. It sounds nice :glynis
I have enjoyed hearing all the different opinions on the Liquers and Kinnie and shall look forward to trying them for myself in May.
Does anyone know the fruit juice name that Jothebookworm is referring to?
thanks to all
Sue
Vodka & Kinnie is sounding better all the time, gonna be the first drink I have when we go in May. Could do with one now actually
Sorry Lincolnsue, I'm racking my brains. The juices come in small glass bottles with metal twist off in all sorts of flavours, orange, peach, pear, name was a short word I think ending in u, but I did find them for sale in a couple of Maltese supermarkets, so I'm sure you will find them.
Hi Sliema2 & Jothebookworm,

Have to confess I've never actually tried mixing Kinnie with spirits yet so Jo I'm waiting hear your opinion. I reckon I'm gonna use this as an excuse to visit the Magic Isles again! (but do I need an excuse? :hmmm )

Jojouk - I thought Kinnie was vile when I first tried it but these days I think it's a much nicer soft drink than coke. Also I hate the idea of drinking booze all day on hols so I do find cold Kinnie to be a good soft drink alternative - especially drunk out off a pint glass!!!! :glynis

If we want to talk about vile drinks surely that Greek 'wine' retsina takes the crown. I've tried several times to drink that stuff and still find it horrible! :yikes

Trev
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.