Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Mccarthy.25, I just googled and got his contact details, his website is INVALID URL he has quoted approx £60 per person for overnight (inclusive of all food and drink). Perhaps a little expensive for Goa, but it is overnight and does include all food and drink and so far in 15 trips we haven't done anything other than rest on the beach!!
Thanks for the info, will contact when we arrive in January
Just arrived home this evening and have to say that the riverboat trip with Johns Boats was excellent and I would thoroughly recommend it. He is pretty well booked up however so it is best to arrange via email before you leave the UK.
Have to say that I am tempted by the overnight boat trip.
I don't think I can commit to a Hampi trip now. I've given myself a bit of a scare healthwise over the last couple of months ( nothing absolutely serious I hasten to add) and I'm still struggling a bit now so my Easter holiday may have to concentrate on relaxation. So the boat looks ideal :)
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the overnight boat trip, we're off on Thursday so could try to book before we go?
I got a quick reply to my email. The are charging 5500 per person. Miccie- would you be able to say a little more about your day please? It would be good to get some feedback about the overnight trip. :)
A pity about not being able to do the Hampi trip, Fiona, but it is a long and tiring 3 days so probably best not to risk it.

We've done it at least 4 times and love every minute of it.
I know it is a pity. But I just have to go with what is better for me- and tiring myself out during a holiday is probably not the best thing I can do. I do think I will be needing some recovery time by the time I get to April. But that doesn't necessarily mean doing nothing in Goa- just rethinking it all. :)
Okay, I'll tell you a little more about the trip, although I don't want to say too much as it might spoil the experience!

The cost of the trip was 5500 rupees a head, this was all inclusive, I understand that the other boats are more expensive and you have to pay more on top for your drinks. We booked via email and went into Johns office when we arrived to pay.

On the day Johns sent a taxi to pick us up from our hotel and drive us to the pick up for the boat, which was along the Chapora River. John's boat has just the two bedrooms and they guarantee not to put Russians and English together at the same time.

Once at the destination you are transferred to the boat and Captain Vic shows you around before casting off.

The bedrooms each have their own bathrooms.

During the first afternoon Captain Vic takes you upriver, great sights and lots of wildlife, he then turns back so that you can see the sunset. Once anchored for the night the boys serve dinner.

Next day after breakfast the boat goes in the opposite direction from the previous evening until you return to the original mooring for lunch. After lunch the taxi picks you up and returns you to the hotel.

A very 'simple' recollection of our overnight stay, the other couple who were with us were great company, the boys on the boat work hard to ensure you have an enjoyable time. Lots to see, great relaxation and thoroughly recommended.

Hope this helps.
it certainly does help :D Thanks. I am pretty sure we will be doing the overnight.
This year I am going on an excursion called "Tigers and tuskers", which involves a 5 hour train trip to Udupi (sp?) and a jeep trip in the ghat mountains.

Anyone done this and let me know what it's like?

Julian
This is a brilliant trip Julian, we did it a few years ago, the elephant orphanage was quite sad but there were some lovely and very amusing baby elephants. Would love to do it again some day. Have a great holiday.
This year I am going on an excursion called "Tigers and tuskers", which involves a 5 hour train trip to Udupi (sp?) and a jeep trip in the ghat mountains.
Anyone done this and let me know what it's like?

I did that trip back in 2010 and found it very good indeed. All meals were included – all Indian food, but that is something I enjoy. The hotel in Udupi was of a high standard, though there was a little external noise from a local festival until late hours.
The drive up the road into the mountains is great, though it’s an early morning start and can be a little chilly up there.
The elephant orphanage was interesting, and it seems there are lots of local Indian school parties who visit, really polite well-behaved kids who just really want to test their English language skills on the tourists, but don’t want anything from you other than that.
And the Tigers – excellent – you go in a small steel caged van and get VERY close to the big cats. It’s easy to get excellent photographs. A memorable comment from the guide/driver
– “You can open door to get good picture, but if tiger come, please close door quick”
The train ride is somewhat crowded – all Indian trains are – but I enjoyed the scenery.
If you want to see some of my photos just PM me an Email address and I’ll send them.
cheers
Bill
A simple day out is to catch the bus from Calangute to Panjim. You join the ferry for the trip over the river. The market is excellent although a bit gory in the meat section. Head for a cold beer on one of the little balconies at Hotel Venite then maybe lunch at Delhi Darbor.
Don't go by taxi you'll miss out on the fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2klc7VjIwc

You can follow the trip here, starting from the walk to the bus. Sorry the latter part is a bit long but it should bring back memories for everyone. Goa is the only place I have ever been where, as I stepped out of a taxi I was asked if I wanted one !

There isn't too much to see in the hinterland of Goa, it is pretty small too of course. We did try the Wildernest where we intended staying for a few nights but left early. Although some find it very appealing we thought it was dreadful and it's also expensive.The eco friendly image it tries to portray is far from truthful too.
Interested in doing the Tigers & Tuskers trip.
Can anyone give details on how where it is booked.
Also if any pictures are availaible to view online it would be a bonus

Cheers

Steve & Jayne
Steve & Jayne

Where are you statying?

I'd say that most tour places will offer the Tigers & Tusker tour - I know John's Boat tours in Candolim do.

And so do Daytripper:
http://www.daytrippergoa.com/tiger-tusker.html
Hi Prettypollycat

We stay in Candolim.
Know Eddie and Edith well so will enquire on price and availability.
Its about time we did something more than sunbathing eating drinking and partying.
We have done about all the local trips but fancy something different.

Cheers

Steve
We have only been once - to Candolim - but we hired a taxi driver for the day to take us to see different things (the usual waterfall, elephants, spice plantation etc) and on another day to take us to a different beach, and to a night market.

It was great, no waiting around for other people to get themselves sorted out!
We kind of did it all the first year. About 14 years ago! How time flies
Hooked up with an excellent taxi driver who took us to all the local attractions.
He was so good we now stay with him.
Well we did about everything bar wash elephants and the waterfall (due to the journey)
Must admit we're wimps when it comes to traveling distance so we have yet to board a train or go overnight on a boat.
Time & money have played a part because if we had the time we would love to travel India in full.

The T&T trip sounds great as you get to see elephants and tigers all be it in a managed setting.
Plus you have to travel to parts of the state we have never been.

We might have a look at some of the others too

Thanks for the info and keep it coming as others maybe just like us and want to do more with their holiday

Cheers

Steve
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.