Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
In flight meals
20 Posts
Helen you have always had to buy the inflight meals but you could pre-book them, unless you upgraded then I think they came within the price. Now you can't pre- purchases the meals but you can buy onboard I am going on Thomson flight in six 6 weeks so will no more then
As you say the in-flight meals aren't the best , but I find it strange when we don't have one now. As you say it does break the flight up a bit.
The ones available for purchase are not the same as the ones previously given.
They are more like microwave ready meals.
My husband bought one on Thomas Cook flight last year and it was awful.
It must have been bad as he will eat anything. :rofl :rofl
Miss Pink, are the meals they sell more like snacks now, rather than an actual meal. I realise we've always paid for them, but they were always paid as part of a holiday price. I've often been on an Easyjet flight, and they haven't had much of a selection left, particularly on return journeys.
Sorry Jay Trip our posts overlapped. That's what I thought. We'd be better off taking a few sandwiches with us in that case.
We always get a Boots meal deal which is enough considering we are going to eat lovely food for 2 weeks. :rofl
For our return journey we get some baguettes made up at a local restaurant as the prices are astronomical at Dalaman airport :yikes .
Helen when I was gong through the booking process yesterday it showed an example of what you could buy. I definitely wouldn't call them meals. There were things like soup and a roll or pizza etc. Not sure if you're able to go on the Thomson site and find the list of foods now or whether it only comes up on the boking page.

I think I'll be making a picnic to take with us :D
'Meals' available for purchase on mid-haul flights with Thomson Airways are listed here. Thomson stopped regular meals commencing November 2011. Long haul weren't effected by the change.

Darren
Apparently not enough people wanted them. :que

Cape verde flights have reverted to something similar to what was previously offered minus tea and coffee. Those annoying questionnaires that the crew hand out have shown the majority of people don't dislike the new snack offerings to alter these flights. Moral of the story, speak up on those pesky questionnaires.
hi all....Ive had some of those meals Ive quite enjoyed...but for what you pay they are poor quality...they were handy for the return flight....but I prefere to take my own stuff going out....thing was you couldnt purchase them for just one way....

Think maybe they have stopped them as they werent getting enough sales to make money from them
Thanks Darren - I wouldn't like to take the risk of being on a 6 hour flight and landing up with a box of pringles or similar. It'll be nearly 5 hours since we had our last meal by the time we board the plane, so it'll be something to eat in the airport and then our own sandwiches on the plane. I haven't taken our own food before, I'm presuming that sandwiches are allowed, and that it's just liquids that aren't :que
Helen T wrote:
I'm presuming that sandwiches are allowed, and that it's just liquids that aren't

You can take your own food and drink onboard the aircraft, although you need to bear in mind the liquid restrictions at security. It's therefore only practical to take drinks purchased airside. You can bring your own sandwiches to the airport or purchase them airside. Any alcohol purchased in the airport is not permitted to be consumed onboard the aircraft.

Darren
Any alcohol purchased in the airport is not permitted to be consumed onboard the aircraft.

I was about to ask does that now mean you could now bring a bottle from home for your in-flight picnic as I'd always assumed that you could only drink alcohol purchased on-board. Then almost immediately realised that you would only be able to do that if it was in a 100cl bottle! :duh

SM

PS Suppose you could try and take a spirit miniature with you as long as you had room in your 20x20cm re-sealable plastic bag :rofl
Suppose you could try and take a spirit miniature with you as long as you had room in your 20x20cm re-sealable plastic bag
I'd like to see the faces at security if we did :rofl I don't mind buying a drink onboard - I was just worried about my stomach!!
SMa wrote:
PS Suppose you could try and take a spirit miniature with you as long as you had room in your 20x20cm re-sealable plastic bag

You could, but you still wouldn't be permitted to consume it onboard the aircraft as it's against airline policy. I know most will think it's to ensure you purchase things from onboard the aircrft, but it's to ensure cabin crew can keep control on alcohol served as it's illegal to be intoxicated onboard an aircraft.

Darren
The regulations don't always seem to apply to that, thankfully small, minority who manage to get vast quantities of alcohol past security and on board by taking care to consume it before they enter the departure lounge or between security and the boarding gate :rofl

Seriously, it might be illegal to be intoxicated onboard an aircraft but I've never witnessed it being enforced - despite a few journeys being made very unpleasant by some very drunk passengers.

SM
I always take 10x100ml bottles for the return journey and fill them with water because of the extortionate prices at Turkish airports.
I know people that put alcohol in them and sneak a drink when the crew are not looking. :rofl
This is hard to do because the trolleys are up and down the aisles every few minutes. :rofl
It wont matter to security what is in the bottles as long as they dont exceed 100mls and are place in the plastic bag for checking at security. :tup
we get ours free with direct holiday xx
We are flying Manchester/Istanbul and get a meal and then onto Ercan and get sandwiches - all included in the cost of the ticket - suppose it is because it is with a scheduled airline.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.