Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
We flew from Gatwick with Monarch in February (Thomas Cook holiday) that flight was also direct. We booked extra leg room and the flight was fine, no complaints at all. Well only one complaint :lol: their little TV screens are rubbish and as you dont have your own individual viewing screen its rubbish. When people stand up in front of the screen its a pain!!! :evil: :twisted:
I know i shouldnt really discuss this here, but why do most people have a problem with monarch? they not too bad really. Ive had worse
Nicola I think the flight itself is ok, if you book the extra legroom. Their entertainment system is very dated tho and really should be updated.
Yes i do agree about the tv screens. with mytravel you get your own seatback tv, even in economy.
Im not too fussed about watching tv, as its an evening flight i just have a few vodka and cokes in the airport bar then listen to my music and fall asleep, but i suppose most people would want to watch the films.
Yummymummy, I agree, I have been a couple of times with Monarch and apart from a lady behind me who kept banging my seat for 8 hours :yikes there were no problems. The food was fine, enough leg room for me, but I am quite small, stewards were helpful and the flight was smooth so I was quite happy. In fact on the return flight we had a very tasty curry which I was quite impressed with :lol: I understand there are a lot of people on the forum who are not happy with Monarch but personally I was looked after well. I only hope First Choice are ok.
Polly golly, first choice are fine. I flew with them from gatwick last year no probs. Food on plane is average, good selections of movies plus the headsets are free. Keep them for the return trip.
Hughsey :D
Thanks for that Hughsey, cant wait 8)
Yummymummy, you've had worse? where?

The amount of leg room is the problem. If you are anything like average the legroom may be barely adequate, but if you are slightly above average then the seats are abysmal, especially on a long haul flight.
We will not use them at all for Goa, although we do for Turkey.
First Choice for me now , and i am happy to pay the extra for Premium
If you think Monarch are good you must be raving bonkers!!!!!! Flew with them once and vowed never again, leg room and IFE was awful....
:offtop Sorry Fiona :oops:
Thanks gooner fan for that, but I dont consider myself bonkers :lol: Everyone has their own opinion and having flown twice with them I cannot understand what the problem is with Monarch :roll: But for the silly ignorant lady who was sat behind me, the actual flight was fine, the food was good, the stewards were efficient, I was warm and comfortable. The entertainment may not be the best but it was adequate, and I read mostly so its not that important to me. I will be able to compare between FC and Mon. at Christmas and then decide if Monarch is more inferior :fly :wave
Sorry polly, no offence meant. After flying long haul charter and being treated like cattle, now the only way for me is scheduled. I know its a bit longer but its worth it.. No paying extra for leg room, no paying extra for inflight meals etc. :wink:
just my opinion...
Try it once you'll love it
No I am not offended :D To be honest I have no idea how to go about doing the scheduled flights as I have never done this. I have looked at the flights since finding HT but some of the prices are quite high. I am probably not looking in the right places. After finding this forum I will serously think about doing the independent travel, it must be cheaper so that means we could hve more holdiays in Goa :lol: What sort of prices do you pay if you dont mind me asking :?: :wink
you can pick up a flight from virgin, heathrow to mumbai for £378. I was talking to another HT member in Feb this year who paid £500 for a flight only with a charter :shock:
Polly, it's easy to do. As Alan(gooner fan) said, flights from Heathrow to Mumbai are approx £360/385, but book the flight from Mumbai to Goa via a Indian travel site, ie. makemytrip.com, approx £40/50, a lot less than your get booking over here :!:
If flights (scheduled) are about £375 plus the £50 to get from Mumbai to Dabolim that sounds good.
However if , like me you live in the North of England you have to add the cost of getting to Heathrow and back.
If I do this then I save little or nothing and add several hours to the trip.( manchester 1 hr each way, heathrow 4 hrs each way)
By the time I have added in the cost of a hotel it is as cheap to book a package, and the extra cost of premium seats is offset by the saving in time.
If someone started sceduled flights from Manchester(or even Leeds Bradford :lol: ) that would be great
Yes del949 I live "up North" and the time spent trailing down to Heathrow and not to mention the cost it just wouldnt be worth it, I dont think :cry: I didnt realise you couldnt get a flight from Manchester so I will just stick to the package holiday :P
from heathrow to Mumbai with BA- £366
from Aberdeen to Mumbai with BA- £405
You cant get much further north than me. £39 return Aberdeen-Heathrow isn't too bad is it? :D
pollygolly,
you can get flight only from Manchester, but not scheduled flights

Fiona, I take your point but, 366+39 +mumbai /dabolim +hotel +£6 taxi transfer means pretty near package prices and I would imagine without the protection if anything goes wrong, eg delays etc
Add into this the extra time involved (unless you are very lucky with connection times)and I don't see much benefit, for me anyway.
But hey, each to his/her own :D
Didn't realise that you lived up there in the back of beyond, I imagined you being somewhere near Nottingham, don't ask why :oops:
Hi Del, I agree with you its not for us either. We have to pay for 4 adults which also adds up, and I just cant see my sons, ages 18 and 15, sitting for hours in various airports. I think you have to weigh everything up when you go on holiday and until the kids go their own way we are stuck with the package. I am happy with that for now :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.