Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Have a look at this site http://www.goamatrimonials.com it might be of help, or why not ask your friend ?
But I'm sure it will be a day to remember
best wishes lassi sorry should have said look at the wedding rituals page
We travelled out for a wedding in May 05. The format for this was:

Day 1 PM Bride's family arrived at the Groom's house with all that she was coming with ie. All new clothes, toiletries, Jewelry, cooking utensils, Linen, towels and a new Activa scooter.
In the evening after the inlaws had left having been fed and watered the grooms held a party for family and friends. This started after the Groom and his best man had been showered in Coconut milk by everyone in turn, which is a Goan tradition. Some of the younger guests then broke eggs on them and emptied cows milk over them. I believe a similar affair happens at the bride's house. After this ritual food and drink was served and the music started. All of which was filmed for the Wedding video.

Day 2 The wedding day. The wedding car was decorated with ribbons and a huge flower arrangement on the roof. Then 2 females from the groom's family went off to dress the bride. We were invited to go with them and watched while the 2 young ladies applied make up, Jewlery and the wedding dress which had been made by the groom's family. It fitted so I assume the bride must have had a fitting or two. After this we hurried back to the groom's house for a blessing of the groom. After a few prayers everybody in turn gave the groom some money. Then it was off to the church for the service.
The bride arrived first and waited outside for the groom to arrive and then both entered the church together with what seemed like dozens of bridesmaids, flower girls and page boys.
The service lasted about 90 mins and then once we were outside we all congratulated the couple and were given snacks and cold drinks which were most welcome as being the end of May it was very hot and sticky.
We then went back to the groom's house to wait for transport to take us to the reception. Some of the women, who had worn saris to the wedding, changed into more western clothes for the evening.
This was held in a hall in Navalim just south of Margao. (the wedding service was in the church near the Ramada for anyone who knows that part of the south)
At the reception attended by between 500 to 600 people there was dancing food and drink, it was a great party that went on till about 1pm when we were transported back home.
The Bride and Groom went back to the family house for their first night together. Everyone sat outside chatting and drinking, everyone that is apart from the happy couple who went off to bed. I expect they were tired after their big day!

Day 3 In the evening we went to the bride's family house for more food and drinks. That night the bride and groom stayed there. Next day by tradition they had to be collected and taken back to start their new life back at the groom's family house.
What were the prices of beer in the reception? Can you remeber? Normal goa prices?
At the wedding we went to all the drimk was free. They even refused to take payment for the accommodation we stayed in as it belonged to the family. We tried to argue the point but they would not take any money. In the end we left some money in an envelope for the whole family to use when they went on a picnic the following week .
Fair enough. Can't argue with that.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.