Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Insurance query
7 Posts
under your new policy you will not have a delay as you are aware of flight times etc. this will be viewed as part of your holiday.
under your old policy you would have presumably have been able to claim for delay/cancellation.
i would go back to your insurance company/broker and explain all facts and try and reach some compromise.
removing the excess would not make any difference to your claims for food/delays unless there is a specific excess on this section of your policy-which is not usual.
Hi

How about contacting Air NZ and explaining that due to them rescheduling your flights you have now had to extend your holiday by two days at extra cost to yourselves i.e. Insurance Cover , and although they have very kindly agreed to supply hotel accomodation for the two extra days you would also very much appreciate it if they could run to supplying some food. They have obviously accepted it is their responsibility by offering you the two days accomodation free of charge.

Regards Jackie
I am a little puzzled as to why you only purchased for the period of your holiday. In my experience cover is normally bought for a period longer than the actual holiday. This then takes account of unexpected changes. Flight delays/changes, strikes etc.

As you have now changed you insurance I doubt you can claim for meals. It is something you know about when you take out the insurance and therefore would not be covered.

I agree with the comments re Air NZ - that is your bets option.

fwh
Hi
I really appreciate everyones output on this and I will take notice of everything you all have to say.
fwh... I have travel insurance with <1cover.com.au> which I did over the internet. I have used them before and have never had to claim (nor have I ever claimed off any other travel insurance) I just punched in my travel dates and up came 16 days and I accepted their quote.
I did this because we are reasonably well travelled and we holiday overseas from Australia twice a year... usually flying with Thai (love Thai) Malaysian, Qantas, BA and more recently Virgin Blue to the Pacific Islands of Vanuatu and Fiji. Never have we have never experienced such a re scheduling that forced us to add two days to our travel times ... so it's never been a concern.
I guess 1cover insured us for the initial 16 days... anything over that was different.
Cheers Geri
There's normally no need to purchase cover beyond the end of your holiday. If you are delayed (and certainly if you are delayed for a reason that gives rise to a claim) cover is normally extended until you get back.

To be honest, I think the insurance company are being very* reasonable and Air New Zealand borderline reasonable. Still worth asking them if they will make an ex-gratia payment.

Don't know if it the case in Australia but here in the UK two holidays a year usually makes it well worth while to buy an annual policy - then no worry about dates at all.

*Assuming they have not charged you for a complete new policy but just the difference between the two.
Hi I've just rung 1 cover and they said "that because I'm still in Australia and I know about the flight changes, this is not seen as an unforeseen delay" So I needed to extend the insurance policy to a 24 day one. Just as well I did or else we would have been under insured (heaven forbid) then it would have been a cat fight and us without a leg to stand on.
I did check out the year policy as we are travelling to Thailand in October but their price was more expensive than taking two separate policies out.
Thanks again for all you advice it was much appreciated.
Cheers Gerib
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.