America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Many thanks for prompt reply - another item crossed off the list :)
I may be corrected but in years gone by the International licenece was required because our licences disn't have photographs, but once photo licences came in most countries didn't need the International one anymore.
Hi di Hi

You may be correct but I still have the old paper licence without a photo, and have hired cars in Australia, New Zealand, the USA and Canada though not during the past couple of years. Some European car hire companies will still allow you to hire a car using the paper licence.

I'm not sure if it was Canada or Australia where it was stated when I rented a car that an IDP had to be used if the licence wasn't in English.
A bit late for the OP but last year my husband drove a RV in Canada using his old licence without a photo and he didn't need a IDP. It was the same in NZ in 2007.
Thanks for all comments - we both have the new photo-type licences, so hopefully all will be OK :)
It is the AA's understanding that legally an International Driving Permit (IDP's) is not required to accompany UK driving licences while in Canada as all UK driving licences should be recognised. However when conducting our research there was conflicting advice, some saying that an IDP is recommended for car hire purposes. In addition, whilst legally an International Driving Permit is not a compulsory requirement, car hire and insurance companies can impose their own terms and conditions which can make the requirement to hold an International Driving Permit a compulsory one. We hope this clarifies.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.