DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
If you've got access to "no-frills" flights and can book them as soon as fares are published,I find that there are huge savings to be made at any time of the year.
Cheap flights is the "trick", not just for July and August. Miss the flight prices and lots of times it is cheaper getting a late deal, especially May and late September onwards, when packages can often be cheaper than booking a flight. £59 has been the most I have ever paid for a flight (taxes and charges included), which gives a good chance of geting a great deal. Accommodation is relatively stable, though obviously varies according to season. Planning for a cheap July/August 2007 DIY holiday needs plannning right now.

Get those cheap flights !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robby :wink:
It's the hotel prices that I find expensive in August.

Hotel Caribe Es Cana Ibiza,to book over the web direct to hotel is 68 Euros per person per night in August.

So for 2 for 14 nights is 1900 euros/£1360 plus say £250 for flights =£1610.The brochure price was cheaper than this!!!!

As I said, in the lower seasons it is cheaper booking DIY.
Wayne WSH have rooms for around £1000 for 14 nights H/B and you get a 5% or 8% discount. Sometimes it's not worth booking DIY, as it does have it's pitfalls if a flight is delayed, or your accommodation isn't properly booked.

Best of luck, hope you get what you want.

We also holiday end July/August and I have investigated DIY, I have found both flights and accommodation expensive. :cry: The Eastern Med seems worse as flights to Turkey, Greece, Cyprus etc seem more expensive than Spain, Portugal, probably down to the cost of aircraft fuel.

The Algarve was the one place it seemed like you might manage to beat the tour ops in July/Aug but as stated you need to get your flights as soon as they come out.
The problem trying to get to the Eastern Med. is the availability with the "low cost" airlines. They need to get as many trips per day as possible, and with a four hour plus flight, it's more difficult. It does seem to be opening up a little, especially to Turkey.

Hi robby, Yeah. I think Stelios only manages to make it as far as Athens, It would be good if the low cost carriers could find a way to do it, it would really open things up.

It's a dilema. Been trying to stay out of the Eurozone as it's cheaper once you get to Turkey, Egypt, Tunisa etc, but it costs more to get there in the first place. With the Western Med it's the other way round, cheap to get there but expensive once you arrive. :roll:

Definately a case of you pays your money and takes your choice. LOL. :wink:
It is thought that flying further than Athens with no frills would not be very enjoyable.4 or 5 hours on a plane with no entertainment and meals wouldn't be very enjoyable but if you are saving lots of money I suppose you make do.
Hi Wayne

Sorry for hijacking your thread a bit. :oops:

Have you managed to find anything DIY in July or Aug?

I know what you mean about budget carriers and the longer flights, although the planes that First Choice, Mytravel, TUI etc use on these routes don't seem much better than easyjet and the like :roll:
I suppose it all comes down to economics in the end. If they find away to make a profit on these routes I guess they will introduce them.
Just booked 11 nights DIY August 2007 for Majorca. Reckon the total cost for 11 nights for 2 adults 1 child (12) will be about £1100. This is in a well equiped 2 bedroom apartment. Found nothing anyway near with the travel agents
I've priced a package holiday up to Majorca for August 07 against a DIY and doing it DIY I would save £1300, I know which one I'll be booking :wink:
and doing it DIY I would save £1300

That's a massive saving Shell, well done. Hope you get booked before the price increases.

I'm looking for Majorca 15 - 24 Aug H/B. Not much on Alpha Rooms in my price range and nothing on WSH.

Any pointers?

Cheers....................
Thanks Robby :D

Hi Bluenose, a lot of Alpharooms bookings for August 2007 don't come out yet.

Which part of Majorca are you looking for?

We found a hotel that we liked the look of this year so I reviewed it when I got back and e-mailed them direct for a price for 2007 as you can't book it with any of the DIY sites at the moment, they mailed me straight back with a price, and I can actually get cheaper flights for next year than I paid for this. Hope you manage to get something sorted :D
Hi Shell

Same as you, flight prices about £200 cheaper next year. Think what I'll do is book flights and wait for hotels after xmas.
B'66, have you had a look at SOLMELIA . You can book for August 2007 direct with them, but get them flights booked now.

i would try thomson for accomodation .... i have just booked for benidorm for 10 days in the middle of 6 weeks hols for myself , hubby and 2 kids and its cost £1035 ( taxi fare will be extra approx £100 ) but i have saved at least £800 on the same as a package.
i work as a travel agent anyway,and somew times d i y can work out alot more, it just depends but i agree its all down to getting in early for cheap airfares ( i used jet2 )
emso ... have you checked out our Resort Transfers topic in the Costa Blanca forum ? Depending on your flight dates and times, you may find a better alternative to taxis.

David :wave
thanks for that ,i have looked at a few options but we may end up hiring a car even
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.