General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
is it illegal??
12 Posts
There is no reason at all why you have to change your name on marriage - it's simply a social convention not a legal requirement - or change your passport but you do need to make sure that any booking is made in the same name as is on your passport.

So the answer to your question really depends on whether it is a general inquiry or whether you've already booked a holiday in your married name. If you have already booked then you will need to either renew your passport or pay to change the name on the booking because the two must be the same or you run the risk of not being allowed to travel if they're different. If you haven't already booked just make sure that you always book in whatever name is on your passport until you renew it.

SM
I'm not sure if it would be illegal, but the one thing that occured to me when I read your post was, would the people in authority i.e. passport control, airport check in etc expect the name on your tickets to match up with the name on your passport??? Especially in these security minded times.

:oops: Sorry, seem to have answered your question with another question. Perhaps someone else will know for definate or you could ask a travel agent. Don't blame you for not wanting to pay 51 quid, i'm sure it was only 3quid when I did mine, but it was light years ago. :shock:
Hi Kerrie,

My daughter's passport is still in her maiden name for the same reason! She's never had any trouble at all using it. The only thing that has happened just recently is that she was carrying her 4 month old baby through passport control and the official questioned the fact that her name and her baby's were different. This happened both on the way out to Portugal and again on the way back. They accepted her explanation that she just hadn't changed her passport to her married name without question. In a way it's good that they check things like that, but on the other hand, if she had been attempting to kidnap someone else's child, she could very easily have got away with it!

Apart from that, no problem, so I'm sure you'll be fine. :lol:
Thanks for your prompt replies.
It is true i did book it in my married name because i wanted to change my passport aswell but on hearing i would have to pay £51 and have a new photo taken(face has filled out abit since the last photo was taken :cry: )i couldnt be doing with all the messing about and have decided to pay the £20 to have the details ammended(which i think is terrible all they have to do is change it by pressing a few buttons)I have always travelled with my kids in a different name(they are the same as dad and he was there too so maybe thats why :shrug :hmmm )but i never got stopped,saying that my kids were 8 and 6 at the time and not babies.Again everyone thankyou for your help.
Kerrie
only downside you may experience is when you use plastic to buy anything. some shops -depending on the amount you spend-will want to see your passport as well as your card. this can also happen in banks, bureau de change etc.car hire could also be a problem.
this is only problem my partner and i ever had in our travels as she used a different name on her passport from that she used normally and was on all our plastic.
The name on the tickets must match the name in the passport - I have clients who still travel on their maiden (or previously married name) for some years after the marriage. There's no need to change until the passport expires. The important thing to remember what name is on the passport when you book!!
I have travelled 3 times with my passport stll in my maiden name and am only changing it now because it is running out this summer , it is totally fine to do this . Just make sure you dont book your actual holiday in your married name , the titles should show a Mr & Miss.
Or Ms or even none at all! I'm a Quaker and traditionally we don't use titles. You'll possibly be surprised to know that as long as the gender is made clear there are very few instances where the use of a title is actually necessary.

SM
As some one else has said, make sure that the name on your ticket and the name on your passport are the same.
When i booked my first adult holiday i put it in the name that i have used since i was a child but it was never changed legally (it was so i would have the same name as my sisters) It was not until i was applying for a passport that i realised the names would be different (my birth name had to go on the passport) I asked the Travel agent and she said that it was lucky i had realised in case i was stopped from travelling. It was easy put right i just changed the name on the ticket.
Loulou
I am going to change back to my maiden name with the TA cos its alot less hassle than getting a new passport :roll: I shall change my passport when it runs out.I dont see why they make you pay for a new one when your only changing your surname and i still have 7yrs running on mine.
Thanks everyone
Kerrie :wave
When we got married I booked the honeymoon in our married name although my wife's passport was obviuosly in her maiden name, we were still allowed to travel but we had to take the wedding certificate with us.

Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.