Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Any shop in Goa can charge what it likes for Imported Goods and items not marked with MRP, such as fruit, veg, eggs and most Alchohol products.

Almost everything else carries MRP (Maximum Retail Price). This is enforceable by law in India and Newtons flaunts this in many many cases. It is the only supermarket that I am aware of that puts its own price labels on everything, using them extensively to cover up the printed MRP on the product label. This is the "clear pricing" that is described! This is totally illegal and sets a dangerous precedent for other retailers.

The statement that " few rupees more expensive" would be fine were it the case. In many instances the label covers a price lower by 5, 10 or even 20 rupees, per item. With the imported goods, compared with other supermarkets in the area, Newtons is often 50-100 rupees more, playing on the gullibility of tourists unaware of or unprepared to visit the cheaper retailers.

By all means give your trade to Newtons, but please do not make out that it is providing a public service of some sort. Every time you shop there you are paying heavily for the AC and large spacious store...........Caveat Emptor!
A well known bar/restaurant nearly opposite Newtons buy their baguettes from Newtons, and most bars in Candolim buy their ice from there.
It is not only us tourists who use it but locals too.
As far as prices are concerned we found them to charge the mrp on everything we bought.
Well you cannot stop progress or we would all still be shopping in the high street of the 50s with greengrocer fishmonger butcher baker etc.

Got to be careful what I say here but Newtons are well known for the practice of putting higher price stickers over the MRP.Now as the MRP is the maximum that can be charged by Indian law then Newtons are breaking the law and overcharging.

Such practices have become common all over Goa.

In England such practices would be called theft and the perpetrators would be described as thieves.It would appear that things in Newtons and in India where tourists are concerned are different.

Also since when did a sweet have the same value as a rupee.If you went into Tescos and were given 3 sweets instead of 3 pence change what would you say?

Papa
I need some clarification from Johny 5 on what he is referring to in his comment on MRP (maximum retail price). I started to think about this and how it impacts in the UK. I can only think of two things, off the top of my head, that is fixed in price across the whole of the UK, and that is postage costs and newspapers and magazines. I am sure a few more will come to me later.
Can he give a few examples of things that are MRP in India so we can access the impact it might make on the average tourist shopping list.
I also notice he refers to Newtons as competition to other supermarkets. I was actually comparing it to small streetside, shacky type shops.
Lastly, I was not trying to suggest it gave a 'public service'; I was making the point that it was a comfortable shopping environment with a large range for tourists only.
Papas point about small change being given as sweets is interesting. Travelling widely, I have found this to be quite common in many countries, although obviously not down the local branch of Tesco. It does initially annoy because we think we are being ripped off. However, if you wish to accumulate a pile of small coins of unknown value that you cannot use for anything meaningful then I sympathise. Most tourists refuse to deal with anything metallic at all. Of course, ATM's and money changers spread paper money around only, which doesnt help.
Lester,

I take your point about the small change.Wherever we are in the world I always leave them in the ashtray or any small dish in the room for the maid in addition to the normal tip.However in Newtons there is no choice.

Papa
Papa

I have to agree with you. If we went to any shop here and were given sweets instead of small change none of us would be happy.

Whether on holiday or back home in England accumulating small change can be a nuisance. If given 1 or 2p change here I usually put it in the charity box found on the counter in smaller shops. That is my choice and whether here or on holiday we should be given the choice to do what we want to do with it.

I must say though the one exception to this is at the airport - I don't have a problem with getting a sweetie as change then as the small change is not likely to get used for another 12 months and would get lost or forgotten so little point in having it really but the principle is the same we should be given the choice.

Lester

In reply to MRP's in Goa there are lots of things that show MRP on the back - Any medication from the chemist, toiletries, sun tan lotion they all show MRP on the back and I would not pay 1 rupee more than shown, I would rather do without, I wouldn't pay £0.55p here for something with a MRP of £0.50 why do it abroad. My opinion only for what it's worth.
Thanks Daves Wife,

Lots of people commenting on practices like the ones Newtons employ this year.I suppose because Goa is so much cheaper than England a lot of people just do not even think about being overcharged and that is the reason it has become so endemic.

It was only really this year that I started to take real notice and decided that I was no longer going to be a victim.Of course we are all victims in any tourist destination and even before we had left Manchester airport I had been short changed and missed it till later.

I was constantly amazed this year by how gullible some people were over taxis,supermarkets,beach sellers etc.When you think about it human nature kicks in.After all if we are all willing to just hand over loads of money who would not take advantage of it.

Been to lots of places over the years and Goa is not unique in nailing tourists once they know they can.

Papa
Can he give a few examples of things that are MRP in India so we can access the impact it might make on the average tourist shopping list.

Easy! Everything packaged specifically for sale in India.................No Exceptions
Plus it cannot be a stick-on label (open to abuse), must be printed on the packaging.
Medicines also show tax separately. Pharmacists organised a National strike over this issue!
Some, but not many, products carry several MRP's for different states of India, due to varying taxation.

A well known bar/restaurant nearly opposite Newtons buy their baguettes from Newtons, and most bars in Candolim buy their ice from there.

Neither of these items are going to be available in a variety of outlets in the vicinity. There is nothing very Goan about baguettes, and "clean" ice either. Apart from the fact that most Goans are bone-idle, the enormous mark-up in bars and restaurants does not give the need to shop around for the best price, anyway.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.