Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
With 8 of us at the table it would be better to order bottles surely!! Any hints and tips please as we intend taking full advantage!

WHY?

You have to pay for the bottle, by the glass the waiter just goes round filling you up.
Its really strange the rules, for instance if we wanted Liquor coffees we would be charged but if we ordered a coffee and then a tia maria or bailys and tipped it in ourself its free!

We are in a party of 8 and what I meant was if we all drink red wine at dinner, it would be a lot less hassle for the waiters than bringing out glass after glass of red when a couple of bottles could be added to our room all inclusive account. (well never mind the rules are the rules!).

Just wandered if anybody has been on Island Escape and they could help with any hints and tips. Maybe they will give us a list of whats free and whats chargable?

Liz.
Merged with existing topic which may have some information.

luci :wave
It's true about the wine even in the bars and theatre. Don't know why, but i do know what you mean being a wine drinker myself. There are some strange rules as if an AI guest orders a coke they get a glass of poured coke yet if non AI guest orders coke they get a can to pour themselves. The draught beer is stella and something else can't remember. Wine is red or white by the glass. All spirits and soft drinks. The same thing you would expect from AI anywhere, one good thing though it doesn,t have to be locally produced. Personally I didn't think the AI was good value for wine drinkers. You could have bought a nice bottle of wine for about 11.00, one you could have picked yourself not the cheap house wine. You should get a list from island cruises telling you what's included of ask your travel agent to provide it.
Thankyou Maldo, have you been on Island Escape? If so which itinery did you choose?
it would be a lot less hassle for the waiters than bringing out glass after glass of red

On the AI we have done they just come round with the bottle in the dining room, not bring it by the glass, so no difference just no choice on what wine you have.

When we did IE we were not AI but thats they way they did it for others.
Being daft here, but itinery what do you mean itinery? :oops:
Sorry Maldo

Itinery means the ports of call that you are going to for instance we are doing the Med Isles Itinery which is Sardinia, Corsica, Menorca, Rome and Sicily.

Regards Liz,
Sorry, just that we were talking about being AI, I thought you meant some sort of drinks itinery.....duh. We called at naples, scilly, pisa, can't remember the one in france and we finished in barcelona.
What did you do in Sicily Maldo?
We haven't booked any daytrips just thought we would wander around for a couple of hours.

Do you know if the ship port is near a sandy beach?

Cheers Liz.
The port was called messina. We just walked around the shops and called into a church. The roads are deadly even at traffic lights so be very careful. Some great bargains in the small shops. Got a denim skirt and a top for 9E. Don't know about beaches. We didn't do any of the organised tours.
Will anyone on HT's be joining us on the Island Escape, transatlantic 20th November?

Mike and Marn. :D
Took a few photos of 'Island Escape' in Mahon harbour 10 days ago, the day before her return to Palma. Click on them to enlarge.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6692/robbo11menorcaoct2007caea7.th.jpg http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4152/menorcaoct24th31st2007cmo0.th.jpg http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/1190/robbo11menorcaoct2007caks4.th.jpg http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2083/menorcaoct24th31st2007cpj8.th.jpg
  • Edited by Robbo11 2007-11-10 17:07:09
Thanks Robbo, she looks just like I remember.
my mum and dad have just booked their 1st cruise for June on the island escape. As its their 1st time they were unsure about what cabin to book and went for the cheapest option availible (aqua deck). Now my mums panicking thinking that she'll be in the "bowels" of the ship beside the engine and thinking about upgrading if possible.
My question is why choose a low floor or a high floor and is it really bad on a low floor. I know this seems like a daft question but i would like to ease my mums fears re this. (just incase she cant change her cabin)

thanks in advance

karen
Hi Karen

Not a daft question at all.

On our first cruise we paid a premium to choose our cabin, midship halfway up. While onboard we checked out the other cabins and most were better than the one we had. Also speaking to seasoned cruisers, they recommended getting the cheapest cabin available.

We have done that since and haven't been disappointed. Airtours used to be very good at giving you a free upgrade if you booked early. We always booked a basic inside on the lowest deck and often got an outside cabin a deck or two up.

However we've never had an upgrade with Thomson. We haven't sailed on the Island Escape, only the Island Star, so can't speak for them. We didn't get an upgrade on the Star.

If they do get a bad cabin, near the engines or the lifts, they can go to the Reception and ask to be moved. There's usually a sign saying the ship is full and they can't accommodate any moves, but they shouldn't let that put them off and still ask.

The only difference in being at the bottom rather than higher up, in my opinion, is slightly longer in the lifts.

luci :wave
Luci thanks for your quick reply. I'll let her know what you've said

regards

karen
One advantage of the lower decks can be you are close to the gang plank.

So for port intensive cruises getting on/off the ship is easy and when you get back dropping of the purchases/bags before heading off to the pool of for food is much quicker, also if you forget something.
Wouldn't be at all concerned about low deck.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.