Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Island Escape
168 Posts
My wife and I are booked to go on the Island Escape in September, this is our first time with IE, we have sailed previously on the Thompson Emerald and the Spirit, were the captains night was one of the highlights of the cruise,
Does the Island escape have a captains night and should I pack my suit?
Regards
Frankie
Going in 4 weeks - booked a late deal - always wanted to take the kids on a cruise ship.

VERY interested in visiting Pompeii and Pisa

What do people recommend for the places we are visiting, also are we beter booking the excursions from the cruise team or making our own arrangements.

Our son is in a wheelchair, but he's light and we think we can manage Pompeii - have heard of others that have done it in wheelchairs and we will be pushing our son, or lifting him out for a short walk if places get too rough - we really do want to see the place and our daughter and son are very keen too. I suppose our situated is similar to someone pushing a buggy?
Please reply and let me know about trips, getting around, etc.
Thanks!!
Hi

Think you would be better posting in the cruise section, you will find this interesting: http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=39452

Ive been to Sicily, Naples and Barcalona on the Spirit last year - Barcalona - you will be fine, Sicily depends which place your at?

I went on the trip to Pompeii - for a first visit id book the excursion as you will get an air conditioned coach there/back and get a hopefully excellent guide to take you round. It is hot, dusty and very uneven floor - but is fantastic there, worth a visit. If you can carry your son and his chair up a few steps and he doesnt mind it being a bit bumpy he will be fine!

Is it the Spirit your going on?

Alison :D
Yes going on the Spirit - booked it yesterday, going 4 weeks on Tuesday from East Midlands.
We're sure we'll be fine at pompeii - we've manouvered over tree roots and rocks while on a trips in dominican and kenya - luckily he's still small !!
At Sicily we're going into Messina - any advice gratefully received. We though maybe a beach while we're there - relax before Pompeii
Thanks for the post, Lesley.
It's the Mediterranean Spirit by Island Cruises we're going on.
On Golden Deck with one inside l-shaped twin - thought there would be slightly more room to put the wheelchair and 1 outside parellel twin.
Hi there were going on an Island cruise this summer but wondered if anyone could give us an idea of the price of drinks onboard-soft drinks and lagers? also can you do the excursions yourself or is it to hard to find your way around the places, any info would be gratefully recieved.
Hi there
we are booked on the island escape going to corsica, civitavecchia, La Spezia, Nice and Mahon and we would be grateful for any info on shore excursions-is it easy to find your way around if you go it alone also do they supply beach towels on the boat or do you take your own? any info on the bpat or day trips would be very much appreciated.
:shock: Hi there,
we are booked on the Island escape on the 19th July and we need some info on shore excursions-can we do them ourselve or is it to hard especially interested in rome and nice and any info from someone who has been before would be great also any info on whether to take beech towles with us. Thanks :D :lol:
having booked on the island escape for september 04 on the charm itinerary i have read various postings about ,blocked toilets,virus,and other hygiene problems can anyone tell me is this a one off or has it been on a more regular basis.
I have been on this ship twice before and enjoyed both cruises with no problems at all
sorry i mean't september 05
we`ve been on the island escape twice now, as have my parents and we`re booked to go again on 19th july and i can tell you to forget all about the problems as seen on that documentary !!! we`ve encountered none and absolutely love it !! looking forward to the island star next year
As first time cruisers , we are thinking of going on the island escape (med discovery) in may next year . Our local travel shop have offered us a deal 7nts All inc £649 inside cabin on "Aqua deck" (deck 3) is this a good deal ? im a bit concerned about the lower deck, sea sickness ,noise etc is there anything we should take in to consideration(we have read the reviews)

thanks in advance
that seems cheaper than Island are offering, at the moment 729 pp leaving 16th May. Worth looking at the online comapnies though. http://www.cruise1st.co.uk are offering the same thing from 612 but doesn't say if it's AI.
People say it's quieter and more stable lower down the ship, but it's a big ship and you will have quite a long way to go to see what the weather is like!
There are nearly always lastminute deals in May they go down to £299 about a week out. This is not with AI though. Often there are outsides available under £400.

For some reason the late cabins are usually on golden deck at the back.
we paid £365 for June in 2004 with 2weeks to go.

If you can be flexable on your may dates at least one week will have deals.
Kate,windjammer

thanks for your replies
i have been shopping around the web, making phone calls etc and the "best" deal i can find at the moment is through "island cruises" on the "Star" £600 cheaper than brochure price and alot cheaper than the "Escape", not commited yet but mrs Edd is keen to book ...... just because its her birthday treat :lol:

The young lady(janice) at island cruises was very helpfull and not at all pushy
i dont think it will be long before i raid the piggy watch this space :D
Has anybody been on this ship recently.We are looking to do an all inclusive in oct 2006 on this ship. We have just got back from 2 weeks on the emerald we had a great time. it was a real friendly cruise. any information would be really appreciated
Thanking you
Gail & Rod
Gail and Rod- feel qualified to offer an opinion here as the IE and the Emerald are the only ships we have been on- yet!!

On the IE we liked- the public areas and bars- the deck areas with nice outdoor furniture with room to move around- the organisation of the Beachcomber cafe which meant no long queues -the "extra touches" like towel sculptures, ice buckets in the cabins etc. -the friendliness of the captain, officers and crew, and the daily captain's updates.

On the Emerald we liked- the cabins were bright and spacious- the entertainment was better and the game shows not so "pushy" - the food in the main restaurant and the waiter service -the ports of call.

If you enjoyed the Emerald I am fairly sure you will like the IE, they are different in many respects, but we had wonderful holidays on both.
Hi, having just finished working on the Island Escape, I'm sure that you'll enjoy your trip!

I thoroughly enjoyed working on it - the only thing I could possibly fault would be the pool, which was - as you may have heard - tiny!

The shore-excursions were fantastic (I managed to go on a few helping out); I went to the Rome, Pisa, Puccini's Lake, Portovenere, the Nou Camp stadium... all excellent - the full day excursions can be quite tiring (be warned!).

The food is great (the Oasis Restaurant especially); the 24-hour Beachcomber restaurant is perfect for grabbing a quick bite to eat after a show :-) There's a huge choice!

All staff are all GENUINELY friendly - I did wonder if it might be 'put-on' but, having worked with these people for months, I can say the staff are great people!

Entertainment is second-to-none, live music/shows in 3 venues throughout the evening (great variety in acts!). The shows in the Ocean Theatre are usually one of the main attractions of the evening, the Bounty Lounge hosts a great range of entertainment inc. ballroom dancing-gameshows-live music-comedy acts...! There's a nightclub with a DJ each night (even karaoke), the Sundowner bar is often missed out of the entertainment announcements but, I'd recommend popping in for a quick drink and a listen to some of the entertainers, at least - very talents people.

Children are well catered for too, I do recall one boy asking if he could stay on the ship rather than go on a day-trip..!

If you're looking to see a different place everyday, with a relaxed and friendly ship - I'd definately recommend the Island Escape!

Any questions PM me!
Hi s2gwp and welcome to HT!

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the Island Escape. If anyone was finding it hard to decide whether to sail on her I'm sure your post will have helped them make up their minds.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.