Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Island Star...
97 Posts
We were on Star in May and the drill was done early on the Sunday morning after we sailed on the Saturday night. Bit of a farce really we only went into 1 of the lounges , couldnt hear half of what was said but like what is being said it is compulsary and you should go. Enjoy your cruise.
wull

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:32 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I have my cruise booked I am trying to consider what excursions, if any, to go on. Can someone give me some insight into what to expect or even what excursion(s) to go on based on their experience. Your help would be appreciated. The cruise is the Mediterranean Essence.

Wull
Wull

I note from an earlier post that you are are going to:-
I immediately settled for the Island Star on 13th October leaving from Palma going to Corsica, Minorca, Italy and France.

If would be helpful if you could state the ports you are visiting in these countries.

There is also a sticky topic at the top of the forum entitled "DIY Excursions - Med Area" which may have some information.

luci :wave
Am sailing on Island Star on 20 October with 2 children (6 and 4).

Looking at the brochure, it look like they can go to the clubs together (as they are both quite shy).

Can anyone give me an idea what the clubs are like, when they run, what activities they do etc.

I read that they can go and see the captain and a that there is a mini disco.

What is the food like for chldren?

Thanks in advance.
We found the kids clubs to be very good.
Our two have a bit of an age gap, and were quite delighted to be in different clubs.

The younger one had lots of "arty" stuff - painting, colouring - mini disco, chocolate challenge, etc. The older one was a bit more laid back but still involved lots of games, trips to the arcade, etc.

Our youngest was REALLY sorry to leave the reps behind - she enjoyed the kids breakfast club a couple of mornings, which gave us a break too.

We even had to plan our shore trips carefully, to make sure we were back for their activities - to be fair, they DID seem to ensure there was nothing major going on in the more attractive ports (Barcelona, etc).
I am going on the Island Star on 20 October for a week.

I noticed in the tickets that there is a photographer who takes portrait photos on board. Has anyone had these taken? How much were the photos/sitting? Were they worth it?

Also, the last Formula 1 race take splace on our day at sea. Ws just what channels they has on the TV or if they woudl show this on board in a bar?

Thanks in advance.
Merged with existing topic.

There is no sitting fee, you just pay for the photos you want.

Can't remember about the Star, but on other ships they have shown major sporting events on the big screen TV in one of the lounges.

Regarding the final Grand Prix....we are huge fans and have always found it difficult, perhaps impossible to see GP on board any ship. We are generally sailing mid-season and normally just live with it. The Brazil one obviously is not to be missed.

Given that the sports focus on board will be premiership football, and mid-week your cruise also champions league, and possibly will extend to Rugby during your trip if England get to final, I would make it my business to speak personally to the cruise director on first day Saturday and ask what the plans are for GP transmisson, and will it be on one of the satellite room channels. Given that from Brazil it will be on early evening I would also seek the cruise director out on sunday to re-affirm any plans are in place. I do not want to build up your hopes though, but if you can rumble up significant interest and harass the life out of said cruise director then maybe!! Best of luck.

We were on this ship last October, anything else just ask.
Thank you for all your replies to my recent postings.

I also apologise for my errors - I was typing it very quickly late at night!

I will certainly talk to someone about the GP, but I doubt that it wil be shown if there is a major football/rugby game on.

Thanks again.
I have only just noticed the post about the Island Star breaking down.

I am due to sail on 20th October and was wondernig whether it is fixed yet?

Help?
Do I need to pack towels for around the pool on the island Star or do they replace them quite regularly in the cabins?
Merged with existing topic.

Beach towels for use around the pool are provided in your room.

Can anyone tell me if there is a launderette on board the Island Star please?
Sorry Maureen, but there's no self-service laundry facilities on the Island Star.

:que
Hi all
new to this, so please bear with me.
cruising on Island star in sept 2008, med spirit itinery
can anyone help re excursions, definitely doing pompei and florence, but unsure re sicily, whether to do 'old time sicily, 'mt etna' or 'Taormina'?
is it wise to pre-book these trips or book onboard?
sorry, another question, anyone travelled to these ports of call end sept/beginning Oct, what is the weather likely to be like?
thanx
Dawn
I understand the bottled water is expensive, can I drink the tap water or not
thanks
Although you can drink the water onboard as it is potable water, it doesn't taste very nice and can have quite a strong smell.

There are usually water fountains in the self service restaurant where you can get iced water. We tend to take a couple of empty water bottles and fill them up there, but I suggest the you fill the plastic cups and fill the bottles from those for hygiene reasons.

Hi,
just been reading other forums as well as my usual holiday truths, I am getting quite concerned now about where i have a Pre-booked cabin. Its right at the back, balcony cabin on sapphire deck, am I right to be concerned regarding noise levels etc. when I rang to book this holiday they told me that there were only 2 balcony cabins left and unfortunately they both at rear of ship. I think I just want someone to put my mind at rest!!
:tdown or :tup
thanx
Dawn
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.