Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Island Star...
97 Posts
I am sure I read somewhere that thisship is a new addition to join the Island escape. If so there will not be any reviews until after her first cruise.
There are two new reviews from a trial cruise under the cruise reviews link at the top of the page.

I believe Island Star used to be Celebrity Horizon, in which case she should be an improvement on Island Escape, which used to be a car ferry!
Hi
I've been on island star, it was really good, if you've been on thomson before you will love it. It is casual yet you can dress up for dinner and go into the ala carte restaurants.
The cabins were comfortable we had an outside on coral deck.
You will enjoy it i am sure.

Poppy
We are booked to sail on the Island Star on 19 August.

For any smokers out there, please be aware that smoking is not permitted in the cabins, only in designated areas of the ship. There is no mention of this anywhere in the brochure which I think is a little unfair. I only found out by reading the reviews and then emailing Island Cruises for confirmation.

luci :wave
We're also on the 19th August sailing. We'vr got two cabins on platinum and one on golden.

Does anyone have anymore info or cabin photos's?

Ganners
Hi Ganners and welcome to HT!

You can take a virtual tour of the ship HERE

We received a letter today from the travel agent saying our tickets were ready for collection. :pele The only problem is they are 200 miles away! They are sending them out first class today so we should hopefully get them by Tuesday.

We are intending booking a couple of meals in the Oasis restaurant and a couple at the Steakhouse as I really prefer table service to buffet.

I realise this is an informal cruise, but I hope it's not too informal, eg people wearing football tops at night.

Our flight is at 6.55am so we should be on the ship nice and early to get a good look round and find our bearings.

The reviews were quite poor when the ship went into service in April, but they have all been excellent since about May so we're really looking forward to it.

Hi Luci

We booked quite late and only got offered flights out of Luton so we booked our own air and are flying in the day before.

I've also been noticing a steady improvement in the reviews.

>> Football tops

I wouldn't be surprised if there were!

Really looking forward to it now!

Ganners
Received our tickets today :pele and the information is fairly comprehensive.

There is an embarkation form to complete, but you don't get the credit card authorisation until you land at Palma, then have to complete it before checking in and boarding so I could see that holding up the process.

Luci

What did you think?

We thought it was OK. It was about what we expected.

Ganners
We also thought it was OK. Not the best cruise we've been on, but it was pretty much what we expected too.

The entertainment wasn't wonderful, Thomson's is far better, but they seemed to have more bars and lounges than some ships we've been on and the drinks prices weren't too bad.

I'm not really keen on buffets, but they were better than I was expecting although we didn't like the Beachcomber for dinner. Went to the Steakhouse three times and enjoyed it, despite the £25 supplement. At least that included a bottle of wine and not only the house wine as I'd been expecting. We were going to try the Oasis Restaurant, but the menu never appealed to me so we didn't bother.

Thanks for posting your review. I've started mine, but need to consult my notes before I finish it.

Ive Been on the Island star the Med essence on the 12th of august it was Great Im going next year but for two weeks, We had a Balcony cabin
On 9th deck (wont be next year As we thought for the first time we will do it in style :P) I just thought there was alot of hassle when arriving in palma Once you have fought For our bags Wich there was 3 Flights on the same Carasouel!!! Anyway Then we had To fill A Health form out our card Forms It was a Stressful And it dosent help when you have stayed up all nighht due tio leaving for the airport at 3 AM . But once we found our way round we thought it was fantastic Entertainment was Spectacular our maid Was Out of this world Irina!!
Yeah We Enjoyed it
Lukee!
Hi Lukee and welcome to the Cruise forum!

Please feel free to add your review of the cruise by clicking on Cruise Reviews at the top of the page.

Finally! Just received my tickets for my Island Star Rivieras cruise on 7th October! :fly

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear - persevere!! :bhead

Luci, as you have been on Island Star can you tell me if towels are provided for the pool or do I need to take my own.

Rene
Hi Rene

There are pools towels provided in your cabin. The sun loungers are not in good knick and many of them are really grubby, but there are navy mattresses to put on them, some of which aren't much better. If you have the room and are a bit fussy, I would suggest taking your own as the towels provided aren't big enough to cover the matress.

Hope you understand my garbled message!

Hi, folks.
We're booked on the Island Star on 30th June for 7 nights,and looking forward to it.

When we booked last year (about August), we found a link for Virtual tours of the ships facilities, but having rebuilt my machine, I've lost the bookmark !

Anyone happen to know the link ? I've tried looking on the Island Cruises homepage, but if its there, I'm missing it...

Cheeers,
D.
Hi Dave and welcome to the cruise forum!

I have merged your post with an existing topic on the Island Star.

There was a link to the virtual tour in my post at the beginning of this topic. However they appear to have changed the website as the link no longer goes to the virtual tour, but to info on the Island Star instead. Looks like they done away with it.

just got back island star. I will post a review later in the week, but if you want to ask anything and i can help, feel free. we didnt do any tours so cant help there altho i did bring all the leaflets etc.
Hi
Can you please advise me if smart 3/4 trousers are acceptable in the evenings on the Island Star
Thanks
Hi the reeces and welcome to HT!

IIRC they are. The ship is quite informal and if there was a problem wearing them in the dining room, which I doubt, you could always eat in the other restaurant. Both restaurants are buffets and I can't for teh ife of me remember the names of them.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.