Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi

have never flown with Jet2 and are thinking of using them rather than pay a fortune for BS before a cruise --- either flying to Rome or Venice from Manchester.

The prices seem too good to be true --- any views on how good jet2 are ??

Thanks
We've flown a lot with Jet2 over the past four years. They've always had better times than others for the destinations we wanted and were always cheaper (but not by that much). Have you priced up your flights by going through the booking process? The initial price is far away from the final price once you've added seats, luggage, taxes, etc etc etc. The planes we've flown on have been old but OK. Same with the service, pretty basic but on a two or three hour flight, it hardly matters.
Presto2,

I've only experienced good things when travelling with Jet2. I have a trip report linked on the What Aircraft? guide. As a low cost carrier, they offer a decent no frills service in my opinion. A few of the aircraft in their fleet have tired interiors as they are worked hard, they are mechanically sound though.

Darren
Thanks both for the replies

We have gone through the whole booking process and noticed that the prices rises a lot! having said that
if we book with our cruise operator they are asking about £1000 extra for flights, which may not be direct flights.
Seems a lot to me! I know that they may use BA, but that doesn't inspire me with confidence either !

Sounds daft, but what do you class as 'no frills' re Jet2 ????

Glad to hear they are mechanically sound ;)
"No frills" is a term used within the airline industry, it basically means that you get what you pay for. As you've noticed the basic fare does not include luggage etc. You'll also notice that at no stage on the booking procedure did it mention refreshments or entertainment. The aircraft and crews are still subject to the same regulations as all other carriers. Another point to bear in mind is which airport exactly do they serve - it may not always be the big shiney one used by the traditional airlines.

But where exactly is this cruise from? You've said you're looking at Rome or Venice but they are nowhere near each other and on different seas!
Thanks Steve - have had a look at Jet 2 and they seem to offer in flight meals and extra luggage, but you pay extra etc. As long as there is the option I am not too bothered. Their site does cover flights from Manchester to Rome (and Venice I think).

The cruise (well one of them) we've looked at starts in Rome and ends in Venice or vice versa. Other than that the cruises start and end in one or the other!

;)
Word of warning on this idea (and not restricted to Jet2). If you book the flight and cruise as seperate items you need to be very careful with your insurance in case the outward flight gets cancelled. The airline will definately not pay for a lost cruise (the law is on their side) and many insurance policies won't give adequate cover either. You need to check and start by assuming they don't cover losses like this until they show they do.
Thanks Steve - to be honest that is the one thing that is causibng us concern. In February we had a flight cancelled and ended up staying in Lapland for an extra day ! We did comment at the time that we were glad that we hadn't booked the flight seperately as we may have been on our own trying to sort a stay over night.

Imagine not getting to your ship !

I suppose it is so annoying when you aren't close to London and may have to get 2 flights just to get to Italy - either that or drive for 5 hrs min down to Heathrow --------------- dunno what's worse !

:think
Hi, Just returned via coach with Jet2.com due to delayed in Spain - meant to fly back on 15 April got back into England on 20 April. Can I claim off Jet2 for extra accommodation? I cannot seem to find out if I can and if so how? I see on the new Ryanair are now going to compansate passangers but cannot find out anything about Jet2, can anyone help, thanks :)
Hi Lesley, found this:

A Jet2 statement said: "We appreciate some of our Jet2.com customers may have unfortunately incurred additional expense due to this extraordinary situation, which was entirely outside of our control. "These expenses will not be reimbursed by Jet2.com."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/8637145.stm
Under EU regulations you are entitled to reimburseiment of reasonable receipted expenses. This is what Ryanair have backed down on. They are not paying compensation as under exceptional circumstances compensation does not have to be paid.
Jet2 are not exempt from these rules. I would submit your receipts with a letter, sent recorded delivery. They do have to be reasonable expenses though eg not staying in a 5 star hotel if a 3 star was available or getting a taxi when there was a bus or train etc.
Thanks for the replies would you send them to Customer Services? thanks. I have been told we signed a piece of paper saying that we would not put any claims against them. We were told at the bottom of the stairs of the coach as we were getting on to sign to say we had changed from plane to coach and did not have time to read. I know you should read everything you sign but it was a matter of getting on the coach home!
Lesley,

As Sunaddict mentions, they have a duty to reimburse reasonable receipted expenses. I'd submit a claim and see what happens. Make sure you make copies of all receipts before you send them, just in case they get 'lost'.

Darren
Send them to Customer Care Team at the address that's on the link that Darren posted. Also have you checked to see if your insurance will cover you for anything that Jet2 aren't obliged to pay? I know a lot of insurance companies are wriggling out of paying but some aren't.
lesley

if you were put on a coach and got home without the need for a hotel then they have a case for not paying. If the journey was broken en route and you did use a hotel they should pay. They may be liable for main meals during the journey (depends on how late back you were, if 24+ hours certainly claim) and any hotels/meals if there was an overnight delay before they got the coach.
I would like to sing the praises of Jet2. During a very difficult time for everyone they kept us informed by mobile phone and managed to get thousands of passengers home safely. We were due to fly home from Majorca on Sat April 17th, they rebooked us on a flight for the following Thursday but told us on Tues evening to get to the port in Palma for 10am the next morning (wed) When we mentioned that we were due to fly on the Thursday they said that the flight wasn't guaranteed and it would be best for us to go by ferry and coach. I must admit that I wasn't looking forward to the coach journey but everything went smoothly and they really did a sterling job. There were some passengers on our coach who had flown with Ryanair and Easyjet and had more or less been abandoned by them. There were some horror stories of Ryanair airport staff not being able to look people in the eye and just telling them there was absolutely nothing they could (or would) do for them.
Our holiday company (James Villas) provided us with free accommodation, we kept our hire car at a reduced rate and our only other extra expense was for food and a taxi from the airport to the port.
It was an unforseen unprecedented trying time for everyone and I couldn't praise them enough.
  • Edited by Oklahoma 2010-04-24 10:18:46
On another thread I suggested that those airlines who had looked after their customers would have something positive they could use in their marketing (instead of just bleating lke O'Leary). Guess what, yesterday's Metro had a big advert from Jet2 listing all the ferries and coaches you mention. So Jet2 get loads of goodwill which they can convert back to cash later. And Ryanair tried to save cash this time and people will remember later. What goes around, comes around.
I totally agree Steve, I wouldn't hesitate to use Jet2 again. We have only used Ryanair once flying to Bergerac and on the return journey just about everyone was being charged for excess luggage and we know ours was lighter than when we left home. Don't trust them at all.
Is there a link to see that Jet2 advert please?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.