Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
just arrived
21 Posts
Such a shame that it is having such an effect on peoples holidays. We are not travellnig until Feb 20th so I am hoping that sense has been seen and we are back at some sort of normality by then.
We fly out on Wednesday morning for 3 weeks.
We have always gone to Aggi's shack since 1998.
The last time we were there was 3 years ago, we were there for a month and the shacks didn't go up until our last few days.
It totally ruined our holiday, and I'm sad to say it looks like another holiday will not be so good.
I've no idea what the government is trying to do, and I feel so sorry for Aggi and the rest of the shack owners trying to earn a living. I'm also self employed and really struggling due to the economic climate,so I know it must be even more of a worrying time for the shack owners.
Like you Alan if the bed situation doesn't change it will also be my last trip to my beloved Goa.
Barry
That's a shame Alan. I suppose we are almost on the beach so we may have to use the pool but nip down to the shacks for a drink or a meal. OH loves watching everything going on round about but doesn't like sand enough to lie on a towel.
Do you see any shacks charging for sunbeds?
Yes, we have settled on a shack a few down from Aggies heading towards Candolim they are charging a 100rps per bed. As they have only a few beds out, and as we are early risers as long as we are first down I am preparedness pay as it as it ensures that even if she risks a few more beds out, when the police arrive she has assured us that we will be left in peace as we are on the original five beds. Not ideal, but better than getting your stuff tossed of the bed when the police arrive and you are in swimming. I am afraid that it looks like this nonsense is here to stay, the papers are reporting the entire recent class of recruits from the police college has been drafted onto the main beaches to back up the regular police as well as three four man squads of their elite response teams. I actually saw one of the teams at the Calangute steps, all camouflage suits mirror sun glasses,black bandanas, and serious looking guns. Seems an overreaction to a few sunbeds, but hey, this is India.
Alan
I wouldn't mind paying if it meant we didn't have to play games with the police. Perhaps things will change before we arrive. Mind you- the shacks will probably be down by then!
Not good. Not booked yet not sure we will bother now.

Papa
It's just crazy. You would think the police have better things to do than wreck the tourism industry that keeps them in bungs.

I wonder if this is being driven by the money behind the increasing number of big hotels. The hotels have always resented the shacks stealing their guests during the day. They would much rather have them around their pools spending money.

They don't understand that most of us won't travel 4000 miles to sit round a pool.

I hope somebody sees sense.....or as usual, finds an answer that will involve an exchange of rupees.
It is no doubt partly a political issue as the big hotels supported BJP in the last elections.

However it seems the Goan government have been looking to sort out the shack situation for some time. Apparently they pay little or no tax and we all know how many unlicensed shacks go up every year.

The Goan tourist board also see the shacks as a problem and there are a few very interesting threads running over on TA.

However I warn you some of the stuff does seem a little over the top.

For me the shacks are a big part of our holiday and as I age I now need shade a lot more. So sitting on a towel without shade is really not for me. For that and other reasons we may not get to Goa this year. If we do not then I will be saddened.

Next year the Indian General elections are likely to take place any time during the height of the tourist season and anyone who witnessed the chaos of bar closures and ban on alcohol sales last year will know that it was not great. So its hard to see when we may get to Goa if at all in the next couple of years.

Of course the flight prices are not helping either. Qatar have now caught on to the Goa price hike craze.

We are unable to chance a last minute deal.

As I said we may go but I am not filled with the joys of Goa as in previous years.
Glad to be spending a week in Karnataka. May be no sunbeds, but certainly no hassle from the police!
  • Edited by shiyong 2012-11-21 08:48:55
I have just been in touch with Ganesh shack, and yes 5 beds not 5 pairs, all shack owners up in arms about this and there is to be a meeting with the minister tomorrow 21st. Ganesh says although it's early season, the beaches are dead.
Somebody on another forum suggested writing to Goa Tourism to express concern about the 5 bed rule and how people enjoy the shacks and sunbeds.

I thought it would do no harm so I e-mailed them a polite note saying that I, and many others, wouldn't continue to visit Goa if we couldn't use shacks and sunbeds. I suggested they listened to their customers feedback.This is his (prompt) reply:

You are entitled to your views but as far as we are concerned we have got exceLlent feedback from tourists all over. Restrictions are here to stay.

Great customer skills there, Mr Tourism ! If anybody else fancies e-mailing them politely to express concern, it's goatourism@dataone.in.
Well done Roma, but what a conceited response!
Hi Gramps
You say you are using a shack a little lower down the beach than Aggies, i have heard and read some good reports on Aggies, have you tried it, or are the reports a little exaggerated, we are staying on holiday st.in Feb and was thinking of using Aggies. No doubt you will have a few recommendations when you return home.

The Preacher
Aggies is a great shack.

Used it on a few occasions. Very friendly staff.
Cheers Papa.will be giving it a go, cant wait 82 sleeps, then on our way.
Was using Aggies but whilst causing no trouble there was a very large Russian group, all young, trance music playing very loudly, and no chance of sunbeds, so moved a few shacks down, food not as good but peace and quiet and a sun bed to lie on.
Aalan
Hi, I was on the beach in Candolim yesterday and this is what I can report.
The 5 bed rule does appear to be being applied, having said that I also saw people who had bought with them or purchased here using their own chair type sun beds, without being pestered by the police. Yes the police are on the beach, I walked from Pete’s shack down to the Taj, so I passed Ganesh’s shack and they were busy and he did have his 5 beds out, all taken but some people were also just using the pads on the sand with their towels on top, but with regards to the police they were present had sitting in their own made shelters I counted 3 from Pete’s to the Taj end of the beach, 5 police in total, they were just sitting there and didn’t appear to be harassing the shack owners or the tourist.
Some shacks had more than 5 beds Calamari for one had about 30 beds but theirs are set higher up from the main beach, others like Bono’s had about 10 beds and then people had the pads on the sand again.
There were plenty of people on the beach even though this is early in the season and the numbers will rise, there was a lot of Indian tourist.
The beach does look great without it being one long stream of beds from one shack to another and it was great to be able to walk with the constant shouts of “Free Sun bed” “Do you want a sun bed?”
Prices in the shacks have risen exceptionally, not all but most, some are exceeding the restaurants for food and drink prices, Calamari, Bono’s and Petes for example but still cheaper than UK (but were isn’t).
Our Goan friends are pleased with the changes because they say “the beach is beautiful once again and safe and respectful for the tourist” I know what they mean by that but never having experienced what they were referring to I don’t want to put it in black and white, also they inform me that the person who as the licence has to be present, which may make it difficult for some of those who build multiple shacks.
I will be honest and say that we did stop using the beach merely as a place to stay for a long period during the day when it did become just like some places in Europe where the beach is just row upon row of sun beds, placed out in front of beach side hotels or restaurants but we did still use it for walking on and calling in at various shacks to spend time and money with people we have become acquainted with over the years we have been coming to Goa.
I know it may be an inconvenience to some people but there are ways around it has I witnessed yesterday and when I return in March I will be bring with me my own sun bed which I will also use on the balcony. It has certainly not ruined my holiday, if anything it has enhanced it because the beach is how I remember it from when I first started visiting Goa and I hope it returns to that way.
:sun2
Thanks for that refreshing alternative view to the shack/sunbed debate.

papa
Thanks for posting your "live" experience, Steve and Jayne. Very interesting and informative.

We'll have to see how things pan out but an inflatable Lilo on the beach is little use for me. I love the sunshine but spend 95% of my time in the shade.

Every year there seems to be an assault on the holidaymaker's experience, be it no shack licences, 10 sunbeds per shack and now this new 5 bed ruling. It just feels like the whole tourist industry exists for the authorities to milk and control rather than for the spending customer's experience.

The reply of Goa Tourism says it all.....we know what's best and you can lump it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.