Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hey pal, thanks for the super review. Am going on July 17th and am definitely going to try those restaurants you mentioned!

A quick question. It's my birthday on the 20th and the four of us boys are planning to dress up as Zorro.. fancy dress. Two questions:

a) Would this be comfortable to wear at night/in the evening, weather wise?
b) Would we stand out a lot there or would it be ok and everyone has a good laugh?

Thanks dude, K
Greatlookinguy wrote:
a) Would this be comfortable to wear at night/in the evening, weather wise?

It depends what the weather is like when you get there and the Zorro costume materials - it can be oppressively hot in the evening/night in mid-July.
b) Would we stand out a lot there or would it be ok and everyone has a good laugh?

I get the mental image of four Zorros being chased through Mamacita's Mexican restaurant by a band of Federales on horseback ;)

If you want to do it, do it - there were lots of weirdly-dressed people in Golden Sands last week for the first England World Cup game, they enjoyed themselves, which is what it's all about.
Ha ha! Thank You matey. Think it should be fun.. just that you've mentioned that it can be oppressively hot and my friends were fearing just that.. Hmmm... how about caveman costumes?? :D

BoooYaaa!!!!

TC,

K
It will be hot so the costumes might not be a great idea but take them just in case.

You should not have any problems with wearing them but just remember to respect families and couples who may not appreciate the noise.

Have fun
Hmmm... looks more and more like costumes are a no-no. If we're going to be hot and sticky, no point really. It is supposed to be a great night. Maybe I'll just wear a birthday sash and a happy birthday badge or something, and go out in shorts and t-shirt.

And full respect for families of course... though how families hope to enjoy Sunny Beach in peak summer with so many young people around I don't know!

BTW, clubs and pubs allow people with shorts and sandals to come in at night don't they... or is it smart casuals like in most nightclubs in cities?

TC,

K
Greatlookinguy wrote:
clubs and pubs allow people with shorts and sandals to come in at night don't they... or is it smart casuals like in most nightclubs in cities?

If you look HERE or HERE most of the clubs have photos/video - judge for yourself.
though how families hope to enjoy Sunny Beach in peak summer with so many young people around I don't know!

You should remember that Sunny Beach was a family resort for many years but has been ruined by the loutish behaviour of many young groups who forget to respect other people on holiday. That is why, with great reluctance, after many years of going to Sunny Beach, myself and my family are taking our holiday elsewhere this year ! :cry
I couldn't agree more Lubo - we first went to Sunny Beach in 2003 and it was a fantastic place to sty with two young children. Have been back twice since and although our children are older it is not a pleasant experience since the 18-30 brigade moved in.

We have also had holidays in Sozopol and Obzor, which are a lot more relaxing. Sozopol in particular, is a lovely picturesque resort, like a smaller version of Nessebar and I would have no hesitation in going back there.
Just back from first trip of the year. Weather was great the first week, but wet and cloudy for most of the second week.

The pub crawls, party crews etc are even more in evidence this year than last. If you are used to SB and know your way round you can usually avoid them to visit your favourite haunts. But if its your first trip, and you land in the middle of it all, I could see it putting you off going back.
We had a 3 year old with us on this visit, so if we were out at night, we were either in St Vlas, or out of the centre of Sunny Beach before it got going.

Going back in August, cant wait.
We have just got back from Sunny Beach... and our first visit to Bulgaria.
We are family of four with two boys aged 8 and 7, stayed at the Regatta Palace about 2km from the center of Sunny Beach. Hotel was small but very clean, staff nice and friendly after a day or two. Not recommending hotel food but Djanny's was a delight and never a dissapointment, good fresh food for very reasonable price. Best for food in Sunny Beach. :tup
We will not be going back to SB but I am sure it is perfect holiday destination for younger people, they'd enjoy the most this very buzzing and busy atmosphere of the place. It is like Ibiza of Eastern Europe.
If you are going, do not take taxis as it is a rip off. Buses are frequent and cheap.
Locals do seem a bit unfriendly and somehow unhappy and the customer service is non existent.
Watch out for money exchange shops as the price they advertise is often the selling price, which is much higher than the buying one and once you pass your money to the shop assistant there is no way for backing out of your transaction.
The beaches are very crowded and littered so we stayed at the pool of the hotel every day.
Not much to do for families but plenty for 18-30 club. SB is at its busiest between 4pm and 4am. Quiet nights are out of the question then.
Not whinging just not the place for us really.
:whoops :banghead: :banghead:
Got back just over a week ago and am still down about being back. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Sunny Beach is as wonderful as it was in 2007 i my opinion. We went to the Sun Hotel by the Nobel hotel right at the far end of sunny beach nearer the Nessebar end. We have had some issues with the hotel and we have wrote to onthebeach with whom we booked with. Set that aside the resort is still a great place to have a holiday. Ok the people can appear rude sometimes and they may not be the same as in places like Turkey, but the place is still great.

Its clean, the beach is gorgeous, the sea is beautiful and the food and drink are cheap. We ate at Fillipopol on the beach, another restaurant further up, Djannys, that Mexican place mentioned previously, red peppers and the Chinese in the corner of the square. We ate in Nessebar but i personally feel you have to watch your food in Nessebar as the chicken is often slightly under cooked.

We went to the Sunny Beach waterpark, again as last time and had a wonderful, we also went on an off road jeep safari and here is where we had some issues.

The safari was going well, we had an English driver and he managed to roll our jeep on to its side. 3 days before the end of our holiday, 3 people went to hospital but thankfully we only had severe bruising.
Now before the crash we were having a fab time and it really was just a freak accident so we didnt hold the driver fault too much.

Other than that the place is great, with the chicken skewers ensure they are cooked all the way through!! And EAT at Djannys... we went there twice, once as a group of 12 people, we booked both times as it gets rammed but the food is phenomenal, i had heard reports that it had gone down hill, but personally i wouldnt agree. We ate like Kings and as already mentioned its cheap!

I would definitely go to Bulgaria again, Id like to try Golden Sands next time though but am saving for next years holiday.... This time we are looking at Mexico!!!!

Any further questions please feel free to email!!!

PS haggle for the taxis!
Glad you enjoyed your holiday and that the injuries weren't more severe.

If you haven't done so already, perhaps you could update our Hotel Reviews site with a review of the hotel.

luci :wave
Sunny Beach - What to Do/What to Avoid

1. Do not go before June or after August as EVERYTHING starts closing down. Thomas Cook failed to tell us this.
2. Best restaurants for quality and value are Condor, Djanny's and Khan's Tent. However, expect to see the same Iceland frozen and processed mix veg wherever you go.
3. Make sure you visit the old port town of Nessebar. It an unmissable gem if you like sightseeing, local culture, great fresh fish and a superb market on winding cobbled streets.
4. Avoid the bureau de changes. I asked for 500 LEVA and was charged a rip off 25% - don't get fleeced like me. Agree the total up front.
5. DO NOT GO TO BEACH BAR ALIBI. It looks nice but the drinks are overpriced and are watered down to the point there is no alcohol in them AT ALL. They are well known for it and we did not find that anywhere else.
6. Instead go to Reflex (Tantra Bar). Great drinks, great ambience and a brilliant sound system.
7. If you want a good club - Revolution. Drink prices are high but not as high as Amore next door and they have a brilliant sound & light system plus a great DJ. Top night.
8. A lot of locals seem rude. Some simply are, some are just blunt but most were pleasant and do not mean to come over rude.
1. Do not go before June or after August as EVERYTHING starts closing down. Thomas Cook failed to tell us this.

That's what we tell enquirers on this forum year after year. It's doubtful if Thomas Cook staff would know, but travel company brochures usually warn about most destinations that some services might not be available at the beginning and end of the season.
4. Avoid the bureau de changes. I asked for 500 LEVA and was charged a rip off 25% - don't get fleeced like me. Agree the total up front.

That's also advice we give on here at every opportunity, but to agree up front is NOT the answer. Even if you do, you will find the exchange rate you do get is enforced by very large and potentially violent heavies. The proper advice is to exchange only at proper banks, hotel receptions and Crown Kiosks in Sunny Beach. This advice is always given by the holiday Reps at the briefing.
8. A lot of locals seem rude. Some simply are, some are just blunt but most were pleasant and do not mean to come over rude.

Can be the same all over the world, but it's a problem we've never had in Bulgaria.

Advice re eateries and bars etc is valid only for a particular season. Next year the places you liked this year might be under new management or not even exist.

Peter
Hi All,
I agree with peter that when changing the hotels or banks are the only way you should exchange your money. The reps usually tell you all the do!s and donts on the transfer from the airports to your destination, not that all people bother to take in the information. Sorry you lost out on the money exchange but you learn`t the hard way. I have been going to bulgaria for a few years now, but I still check on the forum to see if there are any changes over there. Glad you had good holiday.

Cornish Lad
been to sunny beach 5 times booked again for next year always been inbetween july and sept 17th sept being the latest we never had problems with places closing down in sept . we have always changed money at banks and hotels we have seen so many people get ripped off why do people not listen if it seems to good then it probably is and as for the people being rude we have never experienced that once we have made some good friends (friends for life ) sorry dmi you had a bad experience i know everyone is different but its sunny beach for me everytime im like cornish lad i could tell ya so much about sunny beach but i still check on ht for more updates on a regular basis xx
Do not go before June or after August as EVERYTHING starts closing down. Thomas Cook failed to tell us this

We have been going to SB now for 10 years and always go in Sept. Never had a problem and weather has been very kind to us.
Would agree that after 3rd week in Sept things will begin to wind down.

:sun2 Toonman
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.