Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hello Dawnlee,
Was very interested to read your report on Hurghada, and the Hotel report.

We are going to Hurghada on the 13th Jan, staying at a hotel which I think is very near to the one you were in. ( Desert Rose is the one we are going to )

We will now be prepared for the cold winds and nights. I expected it to be cool at night, but not that cold. It's making me shiver just thinking about it.

Thanks for letting us know.

Mike and Marn.
Sounds daft in a desert - but a lightweight waterproof jacket is ideal in the evenings to help keep the wind off

and a nice cuddly pashmina too!!!
will it be that cold at night in sharm?

im off on thursday and have only packed one thin zip up jumper!
Hi Briar

Apart from the cold and the food poisning I did enjoy it and would go back but not to Hurghada would try Sharm or Nuewbia (spelling) instead. But loved the people they were all friendly even when out shopping and doing a bit of haggling. And although the beach wasnt sand the sea made up for it i have never been in a sea so warm and the little fishes were lovely.

Hi Mikeanmarn

Cant say we saw the desert rose hotel where you will be staying, but I am sure it will be nice, on one side of us was the Sunrise Gardens and a bit further up the Conrad most of the hotels seemed to be down the other end further into town. There was not much to do at night if you like to have a wander you would have to get a taxi or minibus into Hurghada. Dont let me put you off with the cold it was just we were not prepared if we had had the right clothes with us it probably would not have bothered us as much thats why I thought id let others know, and as I say it was warming up by the time you get there it could be a lot better. And it was hot in the day so that does make up for it. Hope you have a great holiday. PS if you go into Hurghada to do some shopping make sure if you ask for Sakala square that they do drop you there we got dropped off on Sakala Street which was lots of shops selling the same thing mostly souvenirs but Sakala square has proper shops much better.

Hi Princess Tina

It was very cold at night and cool in the mornings but on our last day it was improving in that it was getting warmer in the morning a lot earlier. Also it depends what you are planning on doing at night if you are staying at your hotel you will be fine once you are inside but if you are planning on having a wander around at night definitely need a coat and jumpers. It was also quite cold in the room at night as we could not work out the heating system and kept getting cold air from the air conditioner instead.

Dawn :)
Please take warmer clothes... you will freeze.. bet you've packed skimpy tops and skirts.

The pictures you see are summer ones.... the desert is cold at night and teh cold blows over when you are sitting. Discos and bars are both inside and outside, and teh hard rock gets busy because its indoors.

You will need a jacket/jeans. Any warm nights are a bonus, don't forget it will be cooler when you fly home.
perfume

are you talking about Hurghada or Sharm too?

im off tomorow will it be as cold and freezing as Hurghada?[/code]
HI
I'm talking about Sharm.... my fiance lives and works there. Daytime temps are fine, but it can be cooler at night, especially if the wind comes.

Please put a couple of warmer tops in at least.... there are shops but its not so good as Turkey. if you plan to sit outside, you will get cold in the early hours.
mot of my clothes are long sleaved thin cotton tops
i dont wear skimpy things at all but maybe i shoudl add a few warmer jumpers

thanks perfume
Oh come on all of you, how can you possibly think Hurghada was cold when the temperatures in the UK were freezing if not below!

Sorry if I misguided anyone but I still find it quite bearable here and only feel chilly on a very few occasions.

Just a question though: Why when anyone gets ill on holiday they always say 'food poisoning'. Can I tell you something, almost every hotel here in Egypt has signed up for the Cristal Worldwide Health & Hygiene system. They are monitored very carefully believe me. Most illness is caused by: a) the change in temperature. b) the change of food c) don't forget that the sea carries bacteria which can cause illness and last but not least in some cases - over indulging on the all inclusive concept.
Semsema

I have been to countries a lot hotter than Egypt was at Christmas and am used to the heat I am also used to getting a slight upset tummy at the change in food and water. I dont want to go into graphic details but I was throwing up and had very severe dioreha and stomach cramps so I do know the difference. After being admitted to hospital and being put on two drips one of which was an antibiotic drip I was given tablets that stated "for the treatment of Salmonella"

Since I have been home I have had a blood test done by my own doctor (not yet got the results back) and I also had to do a phoo sample for the Health Authority who have confirmed that it was salmonella food poisoning and have advised me to contact my travel agent to take the matter further.

So I dont mean to be rude but this time it was a case of food poisoning.
Well I do feel sorry for you if it was food poisoning.

The complaints procedure will follow this course:

1. The hotel will be advised of the claim of food poisoning.
2. All registers/logs will be looked at.
3. Doctor's report will be scrutinised.
4. Meal attendences will be looked at.
5. Total number of guests in-house during that period will be given.
6. Total number of guests visiting Doctor during that period will be given. Along with his reports.
7. Ministry of Health & Safety within Egypt will carry out investigation.

I hope this puts your mind at rest re action which will be taken should you decide to make an official complaint.

All complaints against hotels regarding food poisoning are taken very seriously indeed.

Hope you are well now and please don't let it put you off coming back.
Thanks Semsema it hasnt put me of returning to Egypt I really liked the place and will definitely return. It is good to know what course of action will be taken at their end at the moment it is in the hands of the insurance company.
Just a tip, make sure that a copy of the Doctor's report is requested. This will help your case enormously.
Just as a footnote.... never heard of anyone being taken ill from the sea !!! Total nonsense.
Really! Well it just so happens that it happened to me in Taba. Just goes to show that not everyone knows everything eh?

By the way that was a typo error should have read 1,200 per month not 120.
Sorry but still don t believe it. The current is strong and the water is really deep at Taba - just can not believe it could happen. Sorry.
Last word on the subject - current in Taba - I was staying at the Sea Star Resort and there was no current whilst I was there, perhaps I was lucky!

So the Doctor at the hotel was wrong in his diagnosis then, I shall pass on your conclusions.
I suspect he was.... but the question is why ? Maybe just to avoid any associations with the hotel in any possible way.... next time he has to come up with a better one I guess... like the camels or the locusts or the moon or the shooting stars... :lol:
We stayed at the Dana Beach in Hurghada last April 05 and had a fab time. I had a dippy tummy but both my girls were fine. I seem to have a funny tummy no matter where i go. The hotel itself was very good and we had no complaints. Everywhere was spotless and the staff were always cleaning. I found the same when i stayed at the Albatros Royal Moderna too. Cleanliness seems to be be the upmost importance to the Egyptians, I do hope it does not put anyone off going. As for the weather we stayed for Christmas in Sharm last year and the weather was nice during ther day but at night we had tick jumpers on.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.