Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
We did it a few years ago. Cancun - Miami - LGW.

It depends on the time you get into Miami and how bad immigration is given that you will have to go through that (I assume you don't have a through ticket?).

I wouldn't risk it.

Mark :)
DON'T DO IT!!!

last time I went thought Miami which time wise would be the same time you will be transitting through maybe about an hour later. It was sheer hell. 2 1/4 hoists for passport control, 20 mins just to get down an escalator and another 90minutes to queue to leave the baggage hall. Every time I have been through this airport the story has been the same. I usually use it about 8 times a year through work if I'm lucky, sometimes more of I've upset someone(feels like it)

Leave yourself plenty of time. If your on a single ticket I wouldn't worry, it will be BA's mess to sort out then and you can enjoy an extra day of holiday.
Thanks both. Good job I didn't take up that option then. God knows how BA thought it was manageable. Just as well I decided to go with flying direct to Gatwick. We have plenty time to get through Miami on the way out.
It is all through BA but surely they would have had countless folks missing the connections.
Just a thought here, but if this is a through ticket and the baggage is checked through as well is there any need to go through passports? The airport website is a little vague, but it does say for international connections (eg Mexico-UK) make sure baggage is checked through to avoid US Customs checks - and it implies Customs checks are done at the same time as immigration/passport checks. Who operates the Cancun connection?
Steve
My luggage should be checked straight through. Its immigration and security only. In my query on a BA board they still reckoned you would need 4 hours to be safe. I go with BA right the way through.
Ouch :( To jump in on your thread Fiona (sorry!), I am flying into Miami in January.......so I should expect it to take me roughly 4 hours to actually get out of the airport to meet my shuttle? Or am I reading this all wrong!! I am due to land at 2.30pm., and had hoped to be at my hotel before it got dark :)
It's not that bad - Customs and security is a pig, but that's for the high volume of drugs. The airport is what you expect - an airless expance that represents a cross between a shopping mall and waiting area. During July/August you can expect ferocious storms daily at 3pm, the build up is all day, so you have to keep delays in mind because of the weather. It's an OK airport, not the best or worst, it's an airport you go to because you have to - not want to... :tup
Unless it has changed recently (I now avoid the USA like the plague) your bagage needs to be "identified" on arrival at MIA before it goes on the connected flight. Sort of thing one experienced with 3rd world countries some years ago!

I am assuming that the onward flight is with American Airlines? If you miss connection etc AA will endeavour to get you on the next available.

Like all of the USA, if you want a beer to calm down you will be asked for ID at the airport for that bottle of beer - so be prepared (and if it is American beer don't expect much!) :offtop

Nivsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.