Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
koh chang
11 Posts
our Koh Chang resident, Macfarang, will hopefully read this and help. :)
You can take a Bangkok Airways flight from BKK to Trat but I'm sure there are cheaper ways.
Welcome to HT :welcome
Hi Amelia

Apologies for the late rpely. I've been on holiday in Europe for the past couple of weeks, forgotten how expensive the western world is :-)

Your choices are plane, bus or private transfer by car/minivan.

Plane is the quickest but also the most expensive. Around 1800 - 2500 baht/person one way + 350 baht/person for the transfer from Trat Airport to your hotel on KC. Plus around 250 baht taxi fare from hotel in Bkk - the airport.

A private transfer is a good compromise, cheaper than the plane and for a door to door service from your hotel in Bkk to any hotel on KC it takes only about an hour longer in all. If you're travelling as a family or in a group then this will save you a lot of money over flying. Around 4,800 - 6,000 baht for car/van dependign on number of people.

But it's easy to get here on public transport. Take the 0745 or 0945am bus from Ekkamai Bus Station Bkk to 'Laem Ngop' , this bus will take you to one of the mainland ferry piers, with no need to go to Trat town. Cost is around 250 - 280 baht/person on AC bus. Then hop on the ferry and when you are on KC take one of the pick up trucks that will be waiting at the pier and will drop you off at your hotel.

As far as places to stay go . . what's your budget? / type of place? / location? etc If you give me a bit more ifno I'll think of some suitable palces for you.
What a great response! We will definetly be taking the last option! That sounds like lots more fun! In regards to our budget... We are travelling back to oz from europe and will be on the pound so wanting to stay in 5 star in phuket...however I chose koh chang as my preference and have been recommended a place by my friend tiger hotel maybe? I really want to go cheap and just chill out and slum it for a week! So basically cheapest option as close to the water as possible!
Thanks again for your response..very impressive ;)
There's a place called Tiger Huts on Klong Prao beach. That would suit you. Ensuite wooden huts right by the sand. They have a bar/restaurant but it isn't a real party place. Next door KP Huts has some funky treehouses and nicer wooden fan bungalows, popular with families. Both places are more for backpackers who dont want to stay amongst the backpacking hoards on Lonely Beach. Cheap restaurants, minimart, good bakery on the main road about 15 minutes walk away.
Hi there,
thanks again for your response... looks like Tiger huts is us!
i have another question you may be able to help with ...
We also want to get down to phuket and koh samui... i know only bangkok airways fly to koh samui and it is quite pricey for the dates we can fly to phuket much cheaper, however what is the best way to get to koh samui from phuket and roughly how much will it cost and how long will it take?

Regards
Amelia
From Phuket to Samui can take a shared minibus. It will take most of the day, leave Phuket in the morning, arrive Samui late afternoon. I don't know the prices, but that would probably be the best compromise between cost & convenience.
Phuket - Samui - £45 including tax by Bangkok Airways.

Only flight i've taken that i've arrived before we were supposed to depart (we left 30 minutes early!).

Since backpacking days are over i'd struggle to recommend road and boat all day trip considering the overall saving will be minimal. Mind you, if you have more time than money?
45 pounds sounds like a pretty sweet deal... we do have a fair bit of time and not in a hurry... i just thought maybe a train or bus trip might be a cool scenic tour... but if its going to be a real mission and not much cheaper than a flight we might just flag the idea and stick to flying...
:rofl OOOH macfarang! I KNEW I shouldn't have looked in here! Those huts sound right up our street! I've read about problems on the Cambodia/Thai border last week and FOA is not recommending travel - any update on this? :que HERE
Outside the couple of square kilometres where Thai & Cambodian solders had a bit of impromptu target practice, everything is perfectly normal. All the border crossings remained open throughout the spat. So, unless Cambodia develops some kind of long range missile you should be sale on Koh Chang no matter what happens about 400km away in Preah Vihear. ( Although the UK Foreign Office might not agree.)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.