Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
We were in Kefalos in Kos, first week in October last year. There may be the odd mozzie but I don't remember many about. Our weather was warm and sunny eough for the beach most of the time with about 1 cloudy day.

The boat trip to the volcanic island of Nissyros was good, you get to walk right down into the crater. You can also visit Kalymnos - we spent our first week there - you can take a ferry over from Mastahari for a few euros. If you hire a car, the mountain villages are worth a visit and Kos Town has plenty of shops, ruins and the huge castle to explore.

Car hire was very cheap and the roads pretty quiet, it also enables you to visit some of the best beaches more easily. I seem to remember last year some of the car hire firms offering car hire and boat trip bundles at end of season bargain prices, so check out a few.

Have fun!
  • Edited by MariaH 2005-09-21 11:52:52
Hi Bazzaob, weather at end of Sept. early Oct is usually still quite warm. Daytime temps. around 26-28 degrees, sometimes higher, but cooler at night around 14 -16 degrees.
Might feel cooler in Tingaki as that is generally the windier side of the island. Had a thunderstorm in October one year, but that was at night and didn't last long.
As for the dreaded mozzies, they will still be around and, unless they've had a good summer, they will still be hungry. :lol:
Wont be as bad as the high season though. My wife used to get bitten by them quite a bit but now uses Jungle Formula and finds that works well. A plug-in mozzie zapper in the room helps a lot.
We do try to avoid eating anywhere at night which has loads of greenery around or is covered with those rush type things, as this seems to be a haven for mozzies.
There are a lot of trips you can do, search through some of the previous posts and you should find lots of info, or have a look at http://www.justkos.co.uk for ideas. One I would say to do is the day trip to Nyssiros to visit the volcano.

Have a good holiday.

Andy.
We were in Kardemena October last year, didn't appear to be many mozzies about. In two weeks I only recall being bitten once.

As for the weather check out this link

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/LGKO/2004/10/1/MonthlyHistory.html

Historic weather for October last year for the Island of Kos, you can then skip back through previous years. We have never had a problem with the weather in October on 5 visits.

Edited to add

As for the apartments, check out

http://www.holidays-uncovered.co.uk/frames.htm

use drop down box to locate Kos, Tingaki.

Lots of reviews and they seem pretty good in fact most rate as excellent.
I was in Kos last October. It was really warm every day of the week we were there. Never saw one mozzie anywhere. We hired a car and managed to get around a fair bit if the island. The villages are lovely especially Zia. A trip to Kalymnos was good too as was the 3 island trip on The Katerina which was recommended on here.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.