Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
This part of the Ter?

http://www.jweb.global-cafe.co.uk/Pics/Ter1.jpg

or this part down at Toroella?

http://www.jweb.global-cafe.co.uk/Pics/Ter2.jpg

The fish trying to leap upstream down at the bridge are a joy to watch, and as a veggie that will be my only involvement with fish, but i did manage a wry smile at those catching their fish at the bridge who clearly didn't bother about the sewage treatment plant on the other side of the bridge :D

As you will know, the whole town of Estartit used to aim very much at Brits, that seems to have changed now. The campsite is still busy, but the town is much quieter, and whilst the harbour and main shopping arcade are much the same, the square of pubs is desolate and a complete eyesore now. It's still on the whole a nice area, but the town really could do with a lick of paint
Ah the first picture looks like near the mouth (thats where I usually fish).

Like most anglers I put my fish back, there's plenty to eat near the harbour.

I think i'm too old for the square now, so no worries there.

Cheers

Des.

P.S. Have you got a larger version of that photo (top)?
I've got quite a few pics from around the Ter area (and if you are going, do take a walk along to the bridge at Torroella - but it's quite a walk!)

I've put some on my Flickr site, you can get the big sizes on there:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fk2/sets/72157604469267864/
Cheers mate, if that river was in the UK you wouldn't be able to get on the bank.
The town might not be what it was, but the area is still beautiful. As you may have seen from our flickr site we like to get around the area (up to the castle, etc)
I have never been to the Costa Brava or Estartit but I have the opportunity to visit friends in July for a few days. How long would it take by car from Girona airport? From what I have seen and heard it looks really nice and not lively (just what I like) Thank-you for any replies.
It's 45KM from the airport, so about an hour depending on the traffic in July.

I've decided to just pick up a taxi from the airport, apparently it's about 40-50 euro.
I have walked and fished the river many times, and I am after some advice, what is the best method to fish the river, I usualy fish with the ledger method and the usual baits, sweetcorn, bread, but to be honest have not had much luck, have often wondered about using a spinning rod down by the bridge, I would love to be able to spend a day at the river catching a 300lb sack of wild carp.
I haven't fished it for over 10 years now, but from what I hear there are still plenty of carp in there.

The wildies in there used to run to 15lb, but last time I went there were a lot of Mullet in there, so the carp were averaging around 2-3lb. (I still think the big ones are there, just have to get to them). Also I think the reduction in size of the carp is a result of the massive influx of mullet into the lower river which is very probably a result of the Medes Islands being protected and stocks recovering.... in the early 1980 the medes islands were pretty much fished out and now they're one of the best dive sites in the med.

Best bet is to walk about half a mile inland from the sea.

I found sweetcorn to work, hard on the bottom on a float rig, luncheon meat freelined a couple of yards out took plenty, but you have to chuck a few freebies in so they think it grows in the river. (I fished with a 2lb bottom)... oh and a bolt rig is a giggle (just remember to take your bailarm off).

This year, i'm taking two rods, a float rod, which i'll fish corn (bread is ok, but it gets robbed by smaller fish) and possibly meat... will also take a couple of packets of soft pellets from the tackle shop as I want to know what else is in there, and a standard 9ft carp rod, which i'll chuck out about 15 meters with either a large piece of luncheon meat or any kind of boilie.

Now, if you want a scrap like you've never known try and get a mullet... absolute buggers to catch, but chum in some bread and fish it just below the surface or on the surface. You'll be astonished at how hard they fight.

I really want to catch one of the big carp we used to catch in the late 80's, i'm sure they're still there... I think in an afternoon we landed about 15 doubles (and these are wildies, not your fat King carp), i'm sure they're still about... someone did mention that if you goto Torrellea de Montgri and fish above the wier it is mostly carp as the mullet have trouble navigating the wier.

You can catch right on the mouth of the Ter, but in my experience it's worth burning a few calories and walking upstream for 10 minutes, until you find a spot you like.

*edit* You're getting me worried saying you've had no luck... I hope it's as good as I remember.

@Rod: When are you going next?
I am not sure when I will going this year, Mullet is great fishing especially on light tackle, is it worth fishing for these down where the river enters the sea, what would you recommend to use for bait for these, I will also have a walk further down the river and try with some bigger bait for the Carp.
The Mullet seem to be all over the river, but i've heard they congregate at the wier/bridge (probably easier to get the bus to Torreolla) as they can't get further upstream... as for bait, I really can't help much, i've caught most by accident when floating a piece of bread in the margins for carp... Standard mullet tactics should work I guess... chum in some bread and fish it below the surface , but tbh i'm really not sure.

As I said a 20 minute walk upstream from the mouth is where i've always fished for the carp.. always fished light but I reckon 99% of these fish have never seen a hook before.

I'm going to put together a guide with photos this year and upload it somewhere when I get time... I hope it's as good as I remember.
Fishing on the Decline here !!
Hi, Spent some time at L'Estartit and fishing on the Ter!
Went 2001 Mostly small wild carp beneath Toroalo bridge and weir.
In 2003 Ditto !!
Last year 2008 no Carp in sight , River down and completely weeded up no clearing to fish in and none of the usual shoals (masses) of carp or mullet, a hearbreaking discovery.
Estuary end void of all fish and biteless!!
Tried several miles inland (San Jordi area) some good woodland swims here but fishless.
Locals said all fish dissappear...gone to Barcelona!! :cry
I am returning on June 26th this year for 2 weeks again with gear and in hope of improvement so dont know what to expect. Just love the area and what it has to offer !! :sun2
Hope you are succesful.
Nick..
  • Edited by David 2009-05-24 18:49:14
    Phone number removed
It is heartbreaking. I fished last July and was told the same thing by the locals. I caught one small carp about 300m upstream of the estuary and knew something was very wrong when I started catching Crucians.

Locals told me about a fish die off due to lack of water upstream of the canal section and a bit of digging when I got back revealed that Barcelona now takes 9m3 of river water and leaves 1m3 for the Ter. The desalination plant near Barcelona is supposed to come online in a couple of years and the water extraction to Barcelona will cease, but tbh I don't believe it for a minute and the river is as good as dead.
Hi Skyraker
Thanks for your reply!
Sorry but when I read your scripts I was under the impression your latest planned trip was this July , as I hadnt read the date as "last year".
However , it seems we where there almost the same time last year!
My visit being 27th June for 2 weeks..
Yes things where in a sorry state and I had truly looked forward to the visit.
With driving a few miles inland where the river becomes deeper and tree lined, I thought
the fish would have moved to these reaches but this proved again pointless!

If I gain any success on my up and coming trip on 26th June (for 2 weeks) I will report my findings!
Cheers for now
Was reading up on the desalination plant a few weeks back, as it is being done by one of our sister companies

Therefore, i have lots of faith in it :)
Hi
Just returned from 2 week trip- 1st week Tossa followed by L'Estartit...........Both weeks fantastic as always is in this area :sun2 , but unfortunately the fishing was once again a complete waste of time on the Ter ! :duh

Same as last year, although river was carrying a reasonable level of water this time, only small mullet where flitting about and mainly around the Toroella bridge end.
The only positive note was that I bumped into a local about 300m up from sea end and he was fishing with a BEACH CASTER with budgie bell for detection. :que
His rig was a 3 hook paternoster fixed to method feeded.
Bait was cubed cheese on all hooks and he moulded cheese around the feeder and chucked out at least 2/3rds of way out.
I was able to understand that he had caught 3 fairly large carp with this method.
We drove up to the river Fluvia at San Pescador (Estuary) about 50 mins north of L'Estartit, This has International angling competitions held there. It is a very nice stretch of water with bridge and many watersedge fishing facilities.
The water holds much as the Ter does, however on this occasion we were rained off with thunderstorms and so didnt wait around too long here .
Further in-land and again following the Fluvia you pass Banyoles lake (Olympic race water) and then up hill to a pretty walled village called Besalu..(fantastic courtyard restaurants)
Besalu sits alongside the Fluvia and from the bridge you can look down at all the carp basking in the sunshine :sun2
The fishing permits are obtained from one of the restaurants within.
This day the temperature was reaching almost 40deg !! ...fishing was the last thing on my mind unfortunately.
So yet again a bad fishing experience, but I will be back to this area, again with rod in hand!!
....you never know :tup
Would it be worth while fishing in October?
Hi...I assume you are going to this area in October ?

If you look back at all the "quotes" on this section you will read that fishing on El Ter as been going down hill over the last 10yrs....although as explained on my last vist a 'local' had 1 or 2 carp out..
Your best bet would be to try the San Pescador stretch of the Fluevia river above L'estartit or follow the river inland to Besalu(you can see all the 'big' carp here) .
There is also spinning in Lake Banyoles where you can pick up Trout and perch etc...

I would think that October would be a 'reasonable' month for fishing over there, without the heat and
bright sunshine !!!

Hope this will help....happy holidays.
Good luck!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.