Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hi ruth,
Have a look at :- http://www.simplylagos.com They have an excellent section on dining out from the basic fish restaurants with no frills but the best and freshest fish you could ask for, to the more up-market establishments.Almost everywhere you look in Lagos you'll find excellent food at reasonable prices, usually with friendly and efficient service.
Our favourite restaurant, although not mentioned on simplylagos.com, is O Galeao;it's tucked away in the backstreets and difficult to find, but well worth the search.Their Steak Rossini is melt-in-the-mouth as is their fillet of lamb with a mint sauce like none I've ever tasted - it's the chef's own recipe and he won't tell anyone how it's made.
If you would like directions, just ask.
thanks Sagres please send directions as we are all lamb fans!
:bawl I'd like directions as well please
Glynis,
You were very close to it when you called at "Fools & Horses" in June.(Ruth - don't make the same mistake !!) Walk up the street with Fools & Horses on your left, and turn left at the top of the street;then turn immediately right and O Galeao is there in front of you.
It's normally advisable to book, even in September, as it's not a huge place and one sizeable party of golfers with their wives can fill the place.
Ruth - I'm sure that you'll see Fools & Horses as you're wandering round the streets,but if you'd like more precise directions just shout and I'll look up the street name for you.
One more free tip
Directly opposite the O Galeao street is a bakery;practice your Portuguese before you go, and pay ridiculously low prices for your bread,cakes and pasteis da nata (those delicious little custard tarts that only the Portuguese,for some reason,can make properly.)If your Portuguese isn't up to scratch,just sharpen your pointing finger !! :lol: :lol:
Many thanks :D We didn't actually go further up than the F & H but certainly will bypass in September :wink:
Glynis,
O Galeao also have a few tables outside under a canopy if the Old Man wants to go casual.
Thanks for the help - what is it with f & h ???
It's probably personal, but I don't go to Portugal for British food and British beer in British pubs.There's far more on offer in Lagos. :)
no, I agree one of the good things about hols is escaping rubbish brit pubs!! although I do hate superbok :lol:
That's no problem - you'll be able to drink :) Sagres !! :glynis
yes thats lovely I pay £2.80 a bottle in Nandos in Leicester!!!
hope its cheaper there :lol:
How about draught at €2:50 a pint ?? :glynis :lol:
blimey i'll have to detox for a month when i get back - if i make it back!!
Sagres,
You're being robbed for your sagres.........we can get it at under 2 euros in Cabby
:rofl :glynis :rofl
Pat,
I was trying to give a reflection of the going rate that can be expected,but I know a couple of places like that,too !! :wink: :zip
sagres.......hear what your saying about f & h, only walked in there once. & straight out again!!! was nothing like the pubs back here in suffolk!! dont know why a lot of brits on hols: in lagos use to rant & rave about it!! but.that aside, done tenerife last oct:.... doing menorca in 2 weeks time, but allready booked up for lagos in june next year.. the place is so special to us.. suits all our needs.............brilliant place & people...oh to win the lottery!!! :D
Right Sagres.....and others.

Last year we bought beer from the supermarket in large bottles (think it was Portugeuse) but can't for the life of me remember its name.....wonder why eh?? :shock:

It wasn't Sagres, Superbock, San Miguel or Imperial. I did drink an awful lot of Sagres as it happens as cant stand Superbock(tastes like Bud to me). It was in a large brown bottle with a red and white label. Please help as its driving me daft :cry:

Seeing as how you all seem to like a libation or 3 thought you may be able to help me with the name?

Cheers Lummie
I'm no expert ( :rofl )but it sounds like "Cristal" to me. :glynis
Hi Sagres
any chance of the hotel details please
thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.