Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
lake constance
7 Posts
thanks for reply basically what its like for a wheelchair user with able bodied partner. Kev
I lived in one of the towns on lake Constance for a few months some years ago and now live about 90mins drive away. Lake Constance or Bodensee to give it it's German name is a largish lake, I think the most interesting towns are in the German part, Constance being the largest. Meersburg is probably the town that is the prettiest but it is on a steep hill so wouldn't be too good for a wheelchair though the walk along the lakeside is of course flat. You can take boats to various places on the lake including the island of Mainau.
If you have an area in mind let us know and we can probably give you a bit more information.
I would second Judith's suggestion that Meersburg would be worth visiting, and the gardens at Meinau are well suited to wheelchair users - broad well-tarmaced paths. There is a boat from Meersburg to Meinau. You might like to check out the hotel Schiff am See in Constanz, next to the Meersburg ferry, for suitability for wheelchair users - I have been there twice and found it comfortable and it has a lift.
thanks for the info seems worth a look for next year. Kevin
I was going to suggest Lindau. The old town is on an island with road and rail coming over a causeway. It's mostly pedestrianised (and has no though traffic anyway) and is more or less flat. One possible catch is that I've just looked at a photo of the main street and it is laid with granite blocks. Are these a problem with the wheelchair?

A site you might find useful is http://www.euregiokarte.com/home.html

This is the site for the public transport day passes for the area (note that 2 people count as a Kleingruppe can be much cheaper than 2 individual tickets). Not all the trains are accessible so some thought might be needed. The ships can be included in the pass.

From the left side menu, Zonengesamtubersicht gives the map, Vergunstigungen is the places that give pass holders a discount (and has links that are useful even if you don't get a pass), Reisetipps lets you download the printed brochure with photos, Sehenswurdigkeiten is more places to visit with links, and Links shows all the tourist offices around the lake and the individual transport operators. So even if you don't use public transport the site is a goldmine of info!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.