General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi Dave

The latest we have ever left booking a holiday is 6 days.
It was 4 or 5 years ago and we weren't actually supposed to be going away.
I was just having a look on the web (as you do ;) ) and came across a great
bargain - 2wks in Portugal for 4 cost £600 in August!

I have heard about people standing about in the airport waiting to see if they can
get on flights, but to be honest I have never actually met anyone that has ever done
it, or been successful (Urban myth maybe? :que )

With you mentioning school holidays, it ponders the question - do you have children?
If you have, I think it would be a bit unfair on them to have them standing round an
airport on the off chance.
(Just imagine their disappointment if nothing is available - I know what mine would be like.)

Personally, I think you would be would better trying to organise something nearer the time.
Just have a look on the net/in the travel agents nearer the time and see if any deals come up.

Best of luck, I hope you get something sorted. :)
Just a word of warning. Someone I know tried just turning up at the airport hoping for a bargain. Everyone tried to tell him it wouldn't work but would he listen??? So, off he goes, on his ownsome, everything packed eagerly anticipating an exotic cheapo holiday. Where did he end up? Frankfurt, for a week. That was the only flight he could get on & to save face, decided to go for it. :rofl Cost him a fortune too.
Last minute bargains in school holidays are usually few and far between - you usually end up paying pretty much brochure price because the TOs know they will sell that holiday, someone will want to pay whatever to get away, I've done it myself - got back from Lanza one year (mid-August) and was so depressed to be back home I wanted to go somewhere else straight away, I browsed and browsed for several days but couldn't find anything that wasn't either at the 5-star end of the market or the budget end, and none of them were bargains. Ended up paying more or less brochure price for a week in Tenerife (last week in August, returning Sept), with the only bonus being I got half-board in an apartment for the same price as other guests had paid for self-catering.
I wouldn't recommend just turning up at the airport, especially not in school holidays! Very busy and stressful, and nearly every flight will be full anyway. School holidays get booked up much earlier in the season.
You may get something if you start browsing 6-8 weeks in advance, this gives you plenty of time to find something and there will be a bit more choice, although most of the popular family hotels (if that's what you want) will be booked up.
we meet a couple who booked the day before & ended up in a 5* £99.00 hotel :cry ! it was allocation on arrival but they were on the same plane as us on return and said superb...(at that price i would've said the same) the latest ive done is a week but couldn't match that :( :(

once we had 2weeks h/b at the CORAL BEACH TENERIFE for less than £500.00 for us both, not that long ago :)
We have never turned up at the airport, but last year, I booked about 6 weeks in advance, and got half board in Tunisia, for £920 for 2wks, for me and son in named accomodation, which I thought was a very good deal.
many thanks to all who have replied i will keep looking for a bargain on the net
thanks
dave
my step son got married,last june & they weren't having a honeymoon,as they had just bought their first home,about 2 weeks before the wedding,i was looking on the net & found them a week in marmaris SC,for £85 each.it was named accomadation on the XL site,so i booked it for them & they had a fantastic time.
we presented it to them,at the reception & they were over the moon,best £170 iv'e ever spent!!!!!!
tracy
We have walked into a travel agents in the morning and told the staff our cases were packed and did they have anything available. Set off that day to a 5* hotel for 2 weeks for £319 half board. Tried the same thing with our friends the following year and ended up in a rubbish hotel which was the pitS! We are older and a lot wiser now.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.