Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Depending on where you are staying, up to 200rps per day for black/yellow plated, for a "borrowed" white plate, would'nt pay more than 100rps.
Don't forget your International Licience, you don't have to go out of resorts to get pulled these days. Plenty of "200rps Baksheesh" being handed out on the Candolim to Baga stretch this year.
even ask your taxi driver he will have or know someone who will have one for 100rup per day take care I had a bad accident last year but the goan people can be great when you get int touble.
You mentioned an international licence, is this something extra that we need to obtain aswell as our full UK driving licence? Were do we obtain this from? !!
Yea, 'fraid so.
Go to the RAC website, you can download the application form.
£5.00 plus £2.50 handling/postage and a passport photo.
Don't need your UK licence with you in Goa, it's the Intl. one the police want to see. Without it you will receive a 200rps "fine" or 500rps with a receipt.
Usually get it back from the RAC within a week.
Thanks for that, we go in a week (20th Dec) but I will do it now and see if I can get one - Thanks for your help
I know it is very unlikely to crop up if you are stopped by the Goan police, but it does say on the international licence it is not valid unless it is presented with your UK one as well
I'm considering breaking one of my golden rules when we go in January and hiring a scooter. :yikes

Anybody know a reputable hire business around Candolim/Calangute?
I realise it may be dangerous to assume such a thing exists!
Just use it on the coast roads and not in build up area's and i'm sure you'll be fine. Its really nice to go site seeing.

Dont know of any Propper propper places unfortunately.
a few rules to remember!

1/ if they are indicating a left turn or right for that matter dont believe them.

2/ they will drive on either side of the road where ever there is a space.

3/ if a bus is stopped some loon will pull out and thinks s/he has right of way.

4/ most road signs are in English, (stop) (give way) etc most Goans dont read English so road signs dont mean a thing.

You should get a newish scooter for Rs200/day but as with everything barter
a few rules to remember!

1/ if they are indicating a left turn or right for that matter dont believe them.

2/ they will drive on either side of the road where ever there is a space.

3/ if a bus is stopped some loon will pull out and thinks s/he has right of way.

4/ most road signs are in English, (stop) (give way) etc most Goans dont read English so road signs dont mean a thing.

If a bike or scooter in front of you indicates a right turn - he/she may actually move left and stop until the traffic clears. :wink:

Or - he/she may move over to the right early, if it's clear, then drive on the right till he/she reaches the junction. :shock:
Hi all

There is an official hire place in the capital and you can check on their website http://www.rentabikeindia.com/charge.htm. Bit of a trek from candolim, etc but I'm led to believe they may deliver or hop on the bus to the ferry, cross the river and walk to them. This is who we will be using in January.

Ivan
There is an official hire place in the capital and you can check on their website http://www.rentabikeindia.com/charge.htm. Bit of a trek from candolim, etc but I'm led to believe they may deliver or hop on the bus to the ferry, cross the river and walk to them. This is who we will be using in January.

page not found??
Hi all

Ivan

Ivan, have you been in touch with them? I've emailed them twice in the past and got no reply or my email was returned undelivered.
Hi, You also need to use your horn alot. I was there in jan this year and it was fun.
Martin

not as yet but after some hassle in April this year (we like to visit friends who live in a small village about 10 miles away and vist other places) and following some advice from the police officer at the time he suggested we seek out a legal company if we wished to use bikes or cars so I'm hoping they are still in business. We have used bikes hired locally which are ok.

Ivan
Martin/Ivan

I also have had problems contacting this company by email so I contacted Kenetic who supplied me with another email address, this also failed, am waiting to hear back from them again. If I finaly get an address that works I will post it here

Al
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.