Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
That`s really interesting. You must have had a really great time. It`s my dream to go on a cruise. I have heard that some ships don`t allow mobility scooters and I`m interested to know how you managed to take yours. Who did you book with? We had 2 short breaks this year in the UK and 2 weeks in Spain and having used the scooter in the UK breaks I really missed it in Spain. Jet2 don`t allow them. Incidently, neither do some of the rail companies. They maintain that in the event of an incident they are difficult to move, which is ridiculous because they have a lever to disengage the motor so can be easily moved! I have only had my scooter since May and it has certainly changed my life by giving me a lot more independance and given my husband a break from constantly having to push me around. I will show him your posting to let him know that a cruise is possible for us. Thanks very much :)
Hi Jax:

I have had to use a scooter for the past few years. I have been to Spain, Cyprus and 4 cruises with it and never had a problem. The only stipulation has been that on airplanes the batterys are dry cell types. Mine is a Whispa so its small and light and maybe there could be resistance to the large scooters. You have to keep pressing and dont take no for an answer or find airlines and cruises that allow scooters. I suppose it must be annoying if say Royal Carribean say scooters are not allowed, which is what they told a couple of people on the cruise, when they do allow them and their hand book in the cabin says they do if it is for medical reasons.

I don't know who we booked with for the latest cruise, my wife tends to do all that stuff but I will ask and let you know. I will also ask which airlines we used.

We have cruised with Fred Olsen, P&O and Costa Cruises as well and taken it on all the ships.

Good luck and keep trying. :lol:
Hi we cruised on the Legend last year and took a disabled lady with us. We had no problems at all with taking a an electric wheel chair ( we also took a light weight manual one as well) All you need to do is inform RCI before you go. They will probably want to know the size of the chair its weight and what type of batteries it has. We found the Legend very accessible with automatic electric doors on the decks our stateroom was very large with accessible bathroom. We wouldnt hesitate in cruising on this ship again and the lady who went with us is now hooked on cruising and eagerly awaiting her next one . This time on the voyager of the Seas next summer. Pam
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.