Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Enjoying your report Liz. Not to keen on the breakfast at the hotel either, but I think all the hotels are much of a muchness.
I am :rofl at your friends saying "maybe tomorrow" to the shopkeeper, something you should never say in Goa :yikes
Great report Liz, we had the end rooms in the annexe block when we stayed at the MD, the room was fine and lovely and quiet, but as you say a long trek, especially when you have forgotten to pick your keys up in reception and have to walk all the way back (like we did twice) :duh
Thanks Liz,

we were there the same two weeks as you and yes it got very hot and humid the middle of the second week.I now strongly suspect that this was the reason I felt so ill.I caught a mild dose of the dreaded but now think the heat had a lot to do with it.

Right off my food and believe it or not even alcohol.My OH could hardly believe it.

First year it felt like the monsoon had come early.Even had thunder storms.

I love a bit of sun but thought it really was too much the second week even the lads at the shacks were struggling.

If we go next year I think we will try a bit earlier.

Keep it coming looking forward to part 2.

Regards

Papa
:cheers great report liz but you have to do more there is nothing I love more than when I come on the forum there is new trip report to read so i will be looking out for more over the next few days ...get writing woman :rofl ...colleen
Right, now for the next bit:

Where we ate:

Our favourite was Allspice, Arpora - we ate there about 4 times, trying something different each time. 2 of the 4 of us are veggies, so we had mostly veggie dishes, and probably had tried most of those on the menu. Prices again very good, I think the most expensive was just over 1000rs for the 4 of us including several g&ts :cheers I was very impressed with the service , and also that the waiters remembered that I don't/can't eat garlic, as the first time I was asking for my food without garlic, after that they remembered before I had to ask. Fish kebabs excellent, about 150rs. It gets very busy around 8pm, but we only had to wait once for a table, and that was only about 15 minutes.

Mayonna Creek, near Baga bridge. We had a drink here the first day and iked the location so decided to try dinner here! I can't remember what we had, dahl fry and malai kofta featured quite regularly on our menus, so it was probably something like that. They were about 70rs per dish, rotis and nan breads about 20rs, large portions, G&T about 50rs. We ate here about 3 times; Amit, one of the waiters was very friendly and Paul the owner very helpful in taking my friend to the doctors (and not asking for anything in return). Ok, we went back again but would rather spend our money with him where we knew we would get good, friendly service.

Saffron Court, Arpora

Only ate here once after Taximania recommended it. Lovely setting, similar menu to Allspice with a better choice of fish dishes (not just curries). Similar in price as well, but not as busy as Allspice. Would have liked to try it again but ran out of days :(

Had some good meals at Oceanic shack and also Bobby's (near CSM)

Plantain Leaf, Calangute

Not over impressed - food was very oily and came with loads of garlic in spite of asking for food without it, friends said the thali was ok but a bit watery.

We had a good meal at Lazy days in Baga when we went for the Wednesday meet good choice of Indian and western dishes. They do an excellent spinach and potato soup which soothed my poor stomach! Again, very reasonably priced

Mojos near the MD was good if you wanted some 'stodge' (no disrespect) - if you've had enough of curries or your stomach's not too good - jacket potatoes and cheese toasties tasted wonderful! Good place to stop for a nightcap on the way back to the hotel (much cheaper than the hotel bar) but they close about midnight

We also had an excellent thali at the hotel Fidalgo in Panjim (some friends reccommended this). It was only 125 rs each and there was far too much food, they kept coming round with more - I waddled out of there :D

All this writing about food is making me hungry, so I'm off to cook a curry (won't be as good as the ones we had in Goa, but some of the spices came from there).
Next (and probably last) instalment to come soon, hope you're all still awake after reading it!
Really enjoyable reading Liz, thanks :D
Thats both you and Gaz that have mentioned Mayonna Creek so I must pop in there in November.
I also liked MoJos. Went in twice on this holiday, but in all our visits to the Marinha Dourada, this year was our first in MoJos, but it wont be our last.
Saffron Court I have driven past there many times as well but never been in, will add to my places to visit list!
thali... liz I always say I will try this so when we went to the taj mahal last year I got to try it and like you say there is just far to much for one person ....can anyone tell me where I would get nice thali in candolim please ....colleen
This is a great Liz, you all put me to shame :oops: I have been back 4 weeks now and haven't done mine.

We have eaten in the Mayonna Creek (as it was almost next door to where we stay) and were very impressed with the food and service, will definitely be back in there next year.

Donna
XX
Great report Liz, we also liked the Mayonna Creek , it it such a pretty setting :)
Well, here's the last bit"¦

We went to Molly Malones on St Patrick's night - we didn't stay long as we were flying home the next day and didn't want to travel with a hangover. Met up with Gemma33 (who I'd already met at the Oceanic shack), Irishcolleen, Polly50,Linb,Sleep'r'us among others - sorry if I've missed anyone out, but it was so busy and noisy, I didn't get all the names. It was good to put some faces to names. :cheers

There were a few negative things to the trip:

Hassle by taxi drivers, especially when we'd just got out of one. Why ask us if we want a taxi then? :que We didn't have any problems with prices - I'd found out on the forum how much we should pay, and then told the drivers what we would pay. We never paid more than 100rs to Baga from the MD, and 150rs to Calangute, even at night.

Rubbish piled up and left to rot (especially behind Bobby's shack, Baga).

Hassle by some (not all) beach sellers and stall holders. I tried to tell one, theat if she let us look, there was a good chance that we would buy something, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.

The prices, or more to the point, the tax added on to the drinks in the MD bar. No wonder we hardly saw anyone in their new ‘sports bar' (the back entrance near the small bridge), when a few steps away, you can be in Mojos, same drinks much cheaper.

Then the positives:

Lovely sunny days and warm nights - we were lucky that we missed the cold evenings that people were complaining about in February and also the rain at Easter. We had about 10 minutes of rain early one morning.

The friendly people, especially the lads in the beach shacks. Yes, I now they want you to spend money, but it was nice to be greeted like an old friend when we returned to a shack or restaurant.

Great curries for just over £1 and G&Ts about the same

The beautiful scenery outside the main resort areas.

Buying glasses, contact lenses, and having dental treatment at a fraction of European prices, so we can put the saving towards our next trip. :)

There seems to be quite a bit of construction going on, someone had already said that building is starting on the Ingo's market site - I'd hate for Goa to go the same way that Spain has - turning into a concrete jungle in the main resorts. I can see some similarities with Goa now and the Spanish costas of 20 odd years ago - the old beach shacks which got pulled down every winter, the cheap food and drink etc. Now there are brick built bars on the beach with little character - I hope Goa doesn't go that way in the next 10 years or so.

On the whole, we all enjoyed our trip and intend to return either later this year or next. This was only our second visit, and there's plenty more we'd like to see. We went to the south last year, lovely, but quiet. So it's probably the north for us again next year, but maybe we'll try and have a couple of nights down in the south.
That was really nice Liz, especially the bit at the end when you summed up all the positives about Goa :tup and it just proves why we all return again and again.
Maybe see you later this year or next year again in Goa, look after yourself and it was very nice to meet you and your OH :D
Liz - did you get to Mayonnies (don't know spelling) the music bar near to MD on Sunday Night? Jean
Thanks everyone for all your comments and I hope to meet up with some of you again next year.

Jean - yes, we went to the music night at Mayonna Creek, we'd eaten there a couple of times earlier in the week,we got there early and got a seat on the terrace overlooking the river. Unfortunately, there was a group of Brits who turned up and were very p***ed, swearing, shouting their heads off and one decided to take his clothes off!(thankfully not all of them :yikes ), so we decided not to stay. When we came back from Baga in the taxi about 11pm, we were going to stop, but it was absolutely packed, so gave it a miss. A pity, as it looked like it would have been a good evening.
Liz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.