Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Moved to flights.

Mark :D
Sorry Mark, I was debating whether or put it in general hints or flights - obviously guessed wrong :D
Thanks
Dave
Dal I picked up a tip on here a little while ago about the problem of trying to secure suitcases when in transit. If you have any spare key rings use them for you luggage there are easy to take of when asked by customs but a bit on the fiddly side for an opportunist thieve to be bothered with so far I've not had any problems. I used to use tie wraps but with the key ring system you can use it again and again.
As all luggage is scanned dont put anything in checkin luggage that a tealeaf would want then no need to worry.If there are Shrink wrap machines at the airport use these better than all the locks.
Not going to be going to USA soon but Grand Canyon is on my wish list of places to visit at some point. I've heard of Security in USA breaking into cases that do have the TSA locks. How does insurance work if they do break into case with TSA lock and something goes missing as obviously lock won't be replaced? My parents actually saw the security doing suitcases when they were in USA. I asked if they repack how they found it to avoid anything breakable being at the top. Mum told me that the cases were put on the table upside down and opened (everything resting on lid) and then things put back in layer by layer. Apart from a few things everything was where it had been packed by Mum. There was also a note in the case giving a phone number to contact if there were any problems. Is this standard practice or were my parents lucky?
TSA are required to leave a message informing you if they open your suitcases. The TSA locks are accessible by their master key.
If someone else breaks into your luggage then contact your Insurance co for advise re claims for loss.
I put a laminated notice inside the case on the top of my things, with a spare padlock sellotaped to it asking that if my padlock is broken for my luggage to be searched the spare should be used to re-secure the case. - Just remember to have the key for the spare padlock with you :roll: It's never been necessary yet but it is a useful precaution.
Good idea. Someone secured their case with cable ties and put a spare set in with a note asking for them to be used. When they got cases back, they noticed cable ties on them. Opened the cases and found the note there with done or OK written on it.
We've never had our cases broken into or opened, but 2 years ago we bought 2 rigid Samsonite cases. As these have their own built in locks, can they be broken into by airport staff?! The cases would be totally useless to us if the locks were broken.

Also, sorry to show my ignorance here, but what is a TSA lock? :oops:
Ive been all over since 9/11 and i always lock my case. Ive got Two TSA approved padlocks and ive never had my case opened yet. Id rather have my case locked that left open to some of the crooked baggage handlers.
Also, sorry to show my ignorance here, but what is a TSA lock?

A TSA lock is one which can be opened with a master key by security staff at US airports CLICK HERE. Only the security staff have these master keys so it is quite safe and it will be locked again after they have searched your bag. If you put an ordinary lock (non TSA) on your suitcase they will just break the lock, rendering it useless.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.