Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
So sorry you didnt have a good time ladyt :( I thought about you a couple of times when I was on the forum and wondered how you were getting on. Was this the holiday that the Tour op changed from Menorca?

I'm getting worried now as I am taking two teens myself in July (which I know is different from four) I hope they don't end up too bored, I was relying on the pool, sea, beach, plus a few trips to the waterpark to keep them occupied perhaps I need to re think what I am going to do when I get there. Sounds like its going to cost me a fortune. :cry:
Sorry you had a miserable time, probably the wrong resort in fairness. But four kids should do a pretty good job of keeping themselves entertained, sign of the times I guess.

How do you keep them entertained for 2 weeks on the normal UK holidays you take missladyt?
Sorry you did not enjoy your holiday ,it is quiet in Vau but i would have thought there were enough places around to keep you busy for example did you catch the train feom Portimao to Lagos and have a day there?Also Rocha itself is surely lively enough . In fairness we have been to Minorca and don't think you would have found anywhere there very lively!
well folks im home at last got home around midnight after flight delays but not too bd. well as i said in my earlier post it was hell. firstly praia de rocha yes nice place if all you want to do is drink eat or buy the sort of rubbish you will find in blackpool tat shops , sungalsses hats inflatables belts bags etc etc, to sum that up same sh... different shop, well we also went to alvor same there same stuff different town, also portamao. all we did this holidy is spend spend spend we went self catering if you could call it that all we had was a hob with four electric rings that when we used more than two nearly set on fire i had to run to reception and had to get them to turn all the elecric off, the first week there was like being in a old folks home with no one but old timers glfing i cried, my son played hide and seek with a little boy he found to play with and the receptionist guy threatened him with the police i was stunned, to sum this holiday up my teens ended up watching dvds in the tele room or playing cards we took them to pizza hut to cheer them up and it cost us 80 euros everywhere we wantred to go cost us double as there was six of us and had to get two taxis we did have two nice days though we went to slide and splash and marine zoo but again it cost us a fortune for six plus the transport and the food there and the hire of sun beds brollies lockers etc etc we mushave spent at least 300 euros just on taxis . so we were not happy bunnies i will say it is fine for young ones but nit teens and we were in the middle of nowhere thomas cook has a lot to answer for, my kids begged me to go to wales next year where there are kids of there ages and entertainment for them at night on the site we stay at. i was hoping for a dream first time holiday abroad instead we were counting te hours days and minutes until we got home i am so very upset that this happened and my hubby swears he isnt going abroad ever again .xx
were hoping to get compo of t c as we didnt ask for this holiday, oh by the way we phoned thomas cook two days after we got there to see if they would move us to somewhere else away from the golfers and they wanted 700 euros which we didnt have. bye bye for now,
and yes it was the holiday that was supposed to be menorca xxx
I really am sorry you did not have a good holiday but you could have got nicer pizzas and cheaper in Vau than Pizza hut ,and the apartments in Vau that we go to have lots of teens there and they seem to enjoy themselves just being on the beach and kicking a ball around.But we all like different holidays and it is a good thing we do or every body would want to go to the same place .But as I said before I don't think you would have been any better in Minorca as that is also a quiet island.
This is such a shame Missyl. I feel really disappointed for you but please please dont let it put you off. I have 2 teens + an 11 year old so i know what its like . one of the main problems i think you had is that good old problem of The very high cost of taking them during school holiday time which is when all the other teens will be around or take the much cheaper option of going out of holiday time which im assuming youve done and risk them being bored . Last year when we went to Egypt we went a few days before most other schools finished and I have to say we wondered what the hell we had done . There were a few younger children around but no teens as such . Our children were bored stiff for the first 3 days and hung around us moaning (luckily we were all inclusive so it didnt cost us any more :shock: ) but what a difference another day made . once the weekend came and the schools had all finished for easter there were loads of other teens and our boys ended up having a fantastic time. I know this is all hindsight and no good to you now but its something i really have to think hard about now they are much older and dont particularly want to spend 24/7 with us. After all happy children ,happy parents and it can ruin your holiday if they are miserable as youve found out to your cost :(

Im so sorry Missl :(

lyn
Sorry it was so bad for you. It's a real dilema holidaying abroad with teens. As Lyn says its two choices either take them out of school so you can actually afford to go, but risk bordom. Or go in the school hols when it's mega expensive but other teens are about. :(

On my holiday to Sharm in April there weren't many kids about but fortunately we only went for a week, so they managed with the swimming pool, sea, a few books and us 'olds' for company.

It does sound like Praia du Vau wasnt the right resort for a family with teens you would think a big tour operator like TC would know better and perhaps put you in Albuferia. Try not to be put off I'm sure there is a holiday out there to suit you and your family somewhere might be better only to chance a week next time though or possibly try AI as it might be cheaper overall what with all the drinks and snacks teens need.

Such a disappointment. :cry:
just a quick thanks for all your posts, i suppose i made the mistake of leaving everything down to our travel agent as we were newbies so to speak we do feel really let down but as a family we got through it. i just hope thomas cook come up with something so we may be able to take them to good old wales for a week lol how boring do we sound but honestly if you could see all our holiday tapes you would see exactly what a good time we really do have in wales. never mind i suppose as u say it might not have been any better in menorca but it was the holiday we booked to begin with and we could have said well we will know better next time but i think that its because the choice was taken out of our hands and we didnt get a choice except to cancel and with a few days before the holiday it wasnt a choice we could afford to make. well anyway thanks for all your support. xxx
Give Ross a ring on 01922 621114 she will offer you free advice regards your claim for compensation from Thomas Cook.
thanks glynis i will xxx
I suggest ppl go to central portugal.
I came back from portugal last tuesday after 5 days. Stayed in a little village in the sierra de estrala mountains. This is central portugal and about 75 km from Coimbra. In a town called Gois, nearby they had a river bar , a play area and boating/canoe hire. Cafes and restaurants were ok and enough. In amongst the mountains there are quiet litlle bars scattered around but you have to find them for yourself. Cerevisa and Bordeiro are 2 that i found. 60 cents for a bottle of Superbock or Sagres!!
In Gois there is a pizzateria that is so good that we went there 3 nights, 2 pizzas, a steak , 2 deserts and 2 rounds of drink all for ......................................24 euros!! Some restaurants are a bit messy but the majority are very very good. Language in the hills is very difficult but in the towns things are a bit better.

It is an unspoilt area imo and has stuck in time, if you go a bit further you get the more modern portugal in towns like Arganil, Tabua and Lousa, the latter being the better for shops etc.
You really have to visit the area to appreciate what i mean.
A few pictures can be found when searching for Gois on the web.

Sooooo much better than the Algarve.
?
Sorry if i am missing something here whilst it was unfortunate you did not enjoy your holiday surely you should have done some research?
Having teenage children and having 6 of you in the party to me crys out to ensure that where you go is suitable for all.
I think trying to blame the travel agent is a bit lame as in if you do not ask the right questions you will not get the answers.
superbok! as a new member you may not be aware of the full story behind missladyt's problems:- Click Here to catch up.
Yes Glynis quite right i was not aware of the history so i stand corrected and the lady has my sympathy.
I am off now to hang my head in shame!!!
I am off now to hang my head in shame!!!

:lol: No need to do that - you weren't to know
hiya super , dont feel too bad i forgive you lol, anyway as an update i have emailed thomas cook and they are looking into it but i also had a phone call yesterday from a totally arrogsnt man who wouldnt comment on anything so why he telephined me i do not know, they tell me they have 28 days to come up with a full explanation and a full responce to my complaint i am not going to hold my breath, do you know what i would be happy with , enough money to take the kids o wales for a week and enough spending money to make up for their boring holiday nightmare.

anyway as always i do appreciate all of your help and advice and support love to you all and i will keep you all informed. xxx
ps if anyone needs any advice on shopping or taxi fare in and around portimao prai do rocha or alvor i would be very knowledgable xxx lol
bit harsh on golfers who stay at the Estrella - like me - I assure you I am not in an Old Folks Home just yet

geoff001
im so sorry geoff no offence intended i was just trying to explain that it wasnt a place for teenagers but i will say this all the golfers we did see were old xx besides im only 34 (spent my birthday on holiday sad sad sad) and my kids think even im old lol xxx
I agree that this may have been the wrong resort for your family situation.

However, I am a little suprised that you had to spend so much money keeping the kids amused. There is a pretty good bus service in the Algarve which surely would have been cheaper than taxis? I am also sure that you could have found somewhere cheaper (and more exciting) than pizza hut.

I have not been to Menorca but from what I have read and heard it is more suitable to younger families. You would probably have experienced the same problems there.

You should also bear in mind that you are a 'larger than the norm' family so obviously things are going to be more expensive. That said, though, there are also more of you to be able to amuse yourselves without spending a vast sum of money.

My advice to you in future is not to rely Tour Operators and Travel Agents but to thoroughly research a holiday area yourselves. You might even be better to consider a diy holiday - something like a villa with its own pool.

Pippa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.