UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Looe, Cornwall.
60 Posts
Report as promised: Had a very enjoyable meal. Starter (scallops cooked perfectly- 6 served as a portion) , main, coffee, and plenty of house wine at 30 a head. Perhaps a tad on the high side but plenty of veg and potatoes so you shouldn't leave hungry and we did have plenty of wine.

Starters 4.50-6.50 ish mains from 10 (average closer to 13) desserts 4.50 i think (we didn't have any...too full)

Very hot downstairs, and a bit dark for my liking. I was told upstairs was better (but didn't go up there). Candles: probably quite a romantic atmosphere if you were there as a couple rather than a group of girls as we were.

Restaurants in town were still busy tonight. I would book if you definitely want to eat anywhere that has a decent reputation.

Also remembered this annual walk. I know Janie will have returned home but for anyone else here on 18/9:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/eventfinder/moreinfo.aspx?EventID=1144
thankyou keswick , for your promised report on the smugglers , the prices are on a par with pries here in essex , its sounds nice . we have decided to leave maisie at home , as my daughter will be starting collge and cant come :wink: so that will be even better for us , still plan to do lots of walking, etc .
i shall miss my little baby , yes i was talikng about the dog , wont miss kevinetta though :lol:
With no dog do also consider:

Fournieres (Looe)
Tapanades (Liskeard)
Mawgens (Looe)
Lascares (Looe-tapas)

Have a wonderful time. Do post when you get home how it went.
i will do , looking forward to it , you , dont know the weather do you keswick , i dont ask for much do i :lol:
No problem..although I don't know if you want to see it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3110

Thing is, its not always right- especially so far in advance so keep an eye on it tomorrow as it could easily change.
We had an evening meal in Polperro in the Treble Cafe, it's a small place and only open from 6.30 to 8.30pm in the evening, we didn't book just walked in, but it wasn't packed out at any time we were in and the food was very reasonably priced with an Italian theme..we had the garlic ciabetta bread, my hubby had a pizza, I had spg bol and we shared a lovely treacle sponge pudding with custard and clotted cream! The Cottage and Buccanneer seemed busy in Polperro when we walked by. We also had an Indian meal in Looe at the Moonlight Tandoori which again was very reasonable standard....by far the best pasties we had were in the Eden Project in the Link building cafe but the pasties at Pastry Presto were also good.
Hi,

We are thinking of a short stay in Cornwall and wondered if anyone had any good recommendations for somewhere to stay within easy reach of Looe, with good views and not far from the sea for just the 2 of us.

Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

:wink:
Why not stay in Looe itself then you can walk into town for an evening meal? Plenty of B and B and sea or river views on offer by many. If you have a car, check out parking and if they have parking ask how close it is to the accommodation.
Hi,

thinking of booking Looe, for new years eve short break.

Anyone stayed at this time of year---is it a fun place to be.

Thanks.

Marysma
It's packed with revellers. Everyone dresses up. Pubs very difficult to get into. A great place to be if it doesn't rain. Usually fireworks at midnight. We stay home and watch them from the garden but we have young children.
Just to say that we had had a fantastic time in St. Keyne near Looe at the end of September.

The weather was really good - mild and mostly sunny. The cottage was the best we have ever stayed in - the company Helpful Holidays to be recommended. It was very quiet there and had lovely views over the hills complete with the odd cow! On arrival a tray was laid out complete with cake! Toiletries were also provided - unusual for a SC holiday. Books, jigsaws, dvd's and videos were also in abundance. Whilst we didn't heating in the day time it was coolish in the evenings but an efficient central heating system made sure wer were as warm as toast!

We loved Looe and spent many hours there. We visited the Eden Project and the Lost Gardens of Heligan - both were very good but we do prefer Heligan as it is completely natural. Neither were overly busy then either.

We loved this cottage so much we are considering booking it for next September again. Have to hurry though as this cottage gets very booked up with many repeat visitors.

Pippa
Do the local council offer any weekly car parking passes for Looe and the surrounding area? I know some other councils in Cornwall do but I can find nothing on the web about this area.

Last year we went into Looe quite a lot because it was so nice but it is fairly expensive to park - if a weekly pass was available it might be cheaper aside from the fact that you don't have to search for change!!

Pippa
Hi

Have a look atCaradon District Council web site , in search our site put in "Looe weekly car park charges" then click on Looe 91% it will then list you the car park charges for the Millpool car park including the weekly charge of £22.00 which i presume you get from the Council at Lizkard, hope this helps you.
Thank you very much for the info.

It does look like if you are only going to be in Looe for a few hours it is almost as cheap to purchase on the day!! Some councils offer a pass which covers all car parks in the area - Caradon don't seem to offer that scheme. Probably because of the proximity of Polperro.

Pippa
If you are able bodied and don't mind a walk and not leaving it in a car park you could park somewhere on the Barbican (East Looe on top of valley side - lots of housing estates, grocery shops,fish and chip shop up there) and walk down into town. It's a steep climb back up - depends on your level of fitness and how much you are carrying, I suppose.
Just returned from Looe. We stayed Friday-Monday at Parkdean holiday park. We had a great time. On the Sunday night, we went to Smugglers for a meal. It was delicious, and not too expensive. Hubby had scallops in garlic and I had stilton and leek soup. He then had ling (fish I'd never heard of), and I had salmon with a hollondaise sauce. There was plenty of potatos, chips, and vegetables too. Hubby had baileys drizzle for dessert. I was too full to have anything. The whole bill was £60, thought it was very reasonable for the quality of the food and wine. We went to the eden project, go-karting, market world, and an animal park/sanctuary. A walk around polperro is a must.
Just returned from our week in Looe. 2nd time to this lovely cottage in St Keyne.

The weather was not as good as last year - first couple of days were lovely but then we had a lot of cold winds.

Didn't do as much this year as last although we did spend a lot of time in Looe which we love. We went several times along to West Looe and Hanafore where you can park for free and walk along the front. Very fresh and bracing!! Good little cafe along there too.

Visited the mechanical music museum in St Keyne. Wouldn't go back. For a start it was absolutely freezing in there. Secondly it was more about Paul Corin himself than the instruments he has there. He talks so much it got very boring. We both play musical instruments and would have loved to have heard more from the instruments than Paul Corin. We were there nearly two hours and heard no more than 5 instruments in that time. There are no set times for the 'tours' people just turn up as and when. Each time someone arrives Paul Corin asks them where they are from and then goes into a lengthy discussion with them because he always seems to know something or someone from their area!! You have been warned...........

We love this area and will most certainly return.

Pippa
Love Cornwall and have spent quite some time touring. From the north where you can visit Bude, Tintagel, and Bocastle, Port Issac down to Padstow theres some lovely little coves and beaches. Newquay has become too commercial we stayed just outside at Hendra holiday park which is very good and caters for everything. Apart from Looe, Polperro, and Fowey, some other places worth visiting whilst driving around include Coverack, Cadgwith, Falmouth, Mousehole, The Roseland Penninsula, St Mawes, Porthleven. The lands end project while a bit commercial is fine, also worth a look is the Poldark Mine, The Minnack Theatre, and the Shipwreck Museum at Charleston. There really is loads to do in Cornwall, dont forget the Callestock Cider Farm :cheers
There is a fair amount to see and do in Cornwall, and in the South West of england. It's a good solution for a beach holiday, than to go to somewhere like Spain or the Mediterranean, especially with the credit crunch going on, and the euro increasing etc.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.