France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Pity IF you were going the other way through France

Toulouse Bordeaux Niort --Tours/Amien or Nates/Caen

I know of a place just 9 miles from the Autoroute A10 that has nice Statics and is very pet friendly
have a look here you may change your mind and say hello (but not to me unfortunately not there until next year)
I think you should first plan your route, and how much time you are prepared to drive per day, and how many days you will need for your drive from Spain to Holland. I would think you should allow two stays - the 7 days and an overnight, because in my opinion to do Lyon to Amsterdam in one day is really asking for trouble ........ traffic jams, poor traffic, car overheating etc and the stress of having to get to Amsterdam for a specific check in time for the boat ...

You may find http://www.michelin.fr helpful in planning your journey. Then you could contact the tourist office in the Lyon region and ask for their hotels and also their CHAMBRES D'HOTES details as well as gites.

There will be a symbol in the legend to show if pets are accepted.
Alsacienne wrote:
I think you should first plan your route, and how much time you are prepared to drive per day, and how many days you will need for your drive from Spain to Holland. I would think you should allow two stays - the 7 days and an overnight, because in my opinion to do Lyon to Amsterdam in one day is really asking for trouble ........

We have done it via the other side (Bordeaux/Toulouse) in 2 days and it took me 3 days to recover so I agree there, but I've also done Calais to Montpellier in 10 hours and felt great it all depends on the TRAFFIC

But then again I prefer the West coast route as I can stop near Bordeaux and do some Carp Fishing and the Roads are quieter too as long as you by-pass Paris
but I've also done Calais to Montpellier in 10 hours and felt great it all depends on the TRAFFIC

but I think you were travelling to your site and not on your return leg with that horrid feeling 'got to get there by x o'clock so that we can check in for our crossing' .......... and in this person's case I wouldn't think there'd be another sailing for at least 24 hours if they missed the one they'd booked on.

And the A7/A6 is a really nasty set of motorways with far too many cars in the summer months (all those Parisians!).
Alsacienne wrote:
but I've also done Calais to Montpellier in 10 hours and felt great it all depends on the TRAFFIC

but I think you were travelling to your site and not on your return leg with that horrid feeling 'got to get there by x o'clock so that we can check in for our crossing'

Not to get too off topic

When travelling to a site you still have to arrive before X o'clock or else they don't let you in in a motorhome you have basics ie. water in a caravan you may not
But I understand what you say especially those **************** Parisiens but that's a thread on it's own
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.