Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Have a look at http://www.portugal-valedelobo.com/Vale_do_lobo_facilities/page_2026501.html
http://www.barringtons-pt.com
http://www.valedolobo.com
http://www.vale-do-lobo-guide.com
There is some info on these sites re restaurants & shops, hope the links work for you. Taxis dont have baby seats fitted. Re car hire try http://www.economycarhire.com they do no excess inclusive insurance, cover 2 drivers, but not sure about baby seat hire costs. The resorts of Vale do Lobo & Quinta do Lago are quite expensive for eating & drinking, anywhere situated around a golf complex is expensive so have a look around Almancil which is not very far away.
Cheers Jayjan
If the golf club fees are anything to go by, Vale do Lobo will cost an arm and a leg for eating or drinking.

I have only been there twice, just to be nosey, and both times it reminded me of the old TV series 'The Prisoner'. Deserted streets patrolled by security guards in electric carts, that sort of thing. Manicured lawns and golf courses flanked by large villas about four decimal places out of my price range and I though a generally rather creepy atmosphere. The beach was nice though and as the tide was out I walked the couple of miles over to Quarteira and civilisation. A taxi driver told me that he once took a couple to their villa and collected them a fortnight later. He asked how they had enjoyed the area, going out etc. They replied 'Oh no, we didn't go out, we stayed in the villa the whole time.' Perhaps one of them was Number One.
Hi Fritz,

9 euros a day for a carseat seems a bit extreme. Last time we hired a car they gave us the carseat for free for the whole week. Shop around, I have used ecenomy carhire also and can recommend them but they weren't the company that gave the free carseat I have to add. As for Vale de Lobo, never been or know amyone who has, a bit out of my price range and I don't play golf ;)

Lummie
Stayed at Quinta da Lago last year and visited Vale da Lobo just to see what it is about. Both areas are posh villa land, Quinta da Lago maybe the posher - villa prices were in the millions of euros. As a result eating out is pretty expensive, prices seemed twice the price of places like Albufeira and Villamoura, most of the restaurants being posh international ones. Very geared up for golf, very manicured, somewhat unreal. We found a car essential for getting out and finding local Portuguese restaurants out away from the villa complexes.
Thank you all for the information, very useful.

I thought it all looked a bit weird when hunting on the net. As some of you said all manicured lawns and that - a little bit unreal. Anyway it sounds like I'm in an expensive area so I guess I'm going to need to get out as much as possible but with the car that should be ok and I'm certainly no golfer.

Car seat for 9 euros per day is from Sixt. In fact now I think about it the car isn't cheap either (£ 260 for 10 days). Anyone know of an alternative?

Can anyone suggest where we should head for nights out? I don't particularly means specific bars or restauarants more areas. I'd like to do a bit of traditional Portugese but other than that I'm not fussed. Good food at a reasonable price is all I ask.
Fritz see my earlier post re car hire. http://www.economycarhire.com if you are going in high season the costs are quite high on all car hire.
Cheers Jayjan
Not sure when you are going but you could try Argus Car Hire - infant/child seat approx £11 per rental. Carjet also very good.

We have visited although not stayed in Val do Lobo. It is rather pristine - very posh villas and very quiet. Personally don't think I would want to stay there more than a week.

Pippa
It's amazing how some people don't like a resort because it's expensive and full of money. The british really do have a hang up about poeple who seem to have done well for themselves and want to spend their money accordingly.I do frequent this side of portugal and find it clean, friendly and full of yes expensive but ultimately superb restaurants. If you want good old british food, there's plenty of places to go in the algarve. I have been to quarteria and found it quite scary. There was also a incident where the locals youths robbed a number of tourists in broad daylight. Albuferia reminds me of Blackpool, only warmer. Lagos is a lovely place with plenty of history. Be subjective guys
Paulus the members are giving their personal opinion of this area based on what they've seen and their vast experience of the Algarve as a whole.

If you want good old british food, there's plenty of places to go in the algarve
Who mentioned British food? :que I think you'll find the majority of our members prefer traditional Portugese food and often recommend good quality Portugese restaurants.
Have just returned from the Algarve...we used Air Auto for the car hire (via economycarhire.com) and got a car for £162 for 11 days (brand new 4 door Grande Punto with air-con) for £162.

Have to say it is quite noticeable how the pound/euro conversion rate eats into your holiday money. So those expensive restaurants in Quinta do Lago and environs will seem even pricier.
Well said Glynis. :tup I personally dont have any hang ups about rich folks with money who want to frequence Quinta do Lago or Vale do Lobo, good luck to them, but there are some people who have never stayed in these places and therefore dont have any information on these resorts, like Fritz the original poster on this topic, its nice to pass these experiences on so people know what to expect when they arrive for their holiday.
the other point is that many holiday makers [not only British] don't want to be in the more formal resorts but prefer to totally informal in their dress, dining & holiday outlook
Hi,

I think the point here is that if Vale de Lobo seems to be a very much a relax by the pool or golf area and the only real nightlife is restaurants(as I am led to believe), then you have to be prepapred for that. I think tht was Fritz's concern(I think!)

Every year I kid myself I will relax and unwind completely, read, sleep, ipod etc but the truth is I'm not very good at it. After an hour or so its itchy feet time and I need to find something to do. Dont think Vale de Lobo would be my thing going by whats been said but each to their own. I think this was the concern and reason for the original post.

Lummie
Wizard, your comment paints the wrong picture! I stroll around in informal wear, in fact, even the restaurants are fine with informal dress. This isn't a dickie bow and ball gown resort. Glynis, as you say, I'm giving my opinion as well.
Looks like I can get the car for about £ 180 all in, baby seat as well (through economycarhire) so thanks for the pointer there.

Lummie is correct reallly, I just want to be aware of the kind of money eating out locally is going to cost me. I don't have a problem with staying somewhere a bit more exclusive/ expensive anymore than I'd have a problem staying at a guest house, I just need to know what to expect. Also like to try to get out to places the locals are likley to go to rather than just hang around the tourists haunts.

And I can't sit by the pool the time either, I'd go mad with boredom - so seems the car is a must but as I said at the beginning I have that sorted now.

People have told me to try Martha's on the Beach (not sure what beach though) and also a place called Mad Max but I'm not sure if that's the name of the place or the name of the man that runs it.
The nearby town of Almancil has a number of local and international restaurants including Chinese. There's also an Aldi in the town and a branch of the Appollonia upmarket supermarkets. We stocked up the villa at these two.
paulus38 wrote:
Albuferia reminds me of Blackpool, only warmer. Be subjective guys

Not terribly subjective if I may say so Paulus...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.