Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
If you have any specific questions then I may be able to help you, Shirley.

Er, the monks robes are saffron - not the monks ha-ha. Sorry, couldn't resist that!
Yeah Chris just noticed my mistake!!!!!

My main question is what to do in the daytime, i.e trips on the mekong or similar?
LP is the sort of place where you can just wander about and relax. There are approx. 30 temples where you can poke about and chat to the monks.
Climb Mount Phousie - great views. Climb up the steps opposite the Royal Palace and come down on the other side into a temple.

I can recommend the trip to the waterfalls (by road) and the boat trip to the caves. Wear sensible footwear as you have to "walk the plank".
There's also a small " beach" where the Mekong and Nam Khan meet. Enterprising locals have put large mats and umbrellas there and sell drinks, snacks, etc. Great for watching the river life when you get templed out.
sounds great chris, thanks, any accommodation ideas??
Have a look at laohotelgroup/org. I stayed at the Senesouk which is right opposite Wat Sene. Get a first floor room with balcony and you can watch the early morning alms collection without changing out of your pajamas.
Don't bother booking a pick-up via the hotels - they didn't turn up both in LP and Vientiane. A taxi is easily available both airports with a little booth where you are given a ticket with the name of your hotel which you hand to the driver.
The beds seem to be very hard - just like Cambodia.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.