Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hmmm....standard is 15kg usually....surely they can't expect each of you to have your own suitcase?! What if you don't need a suitcase each. We've always taken two suitcases (me and my fiancee) and one is always a lot more heavier than the other because of toiletries etc...

I'm sure they combine your total baggage allowance rather than per person.
Yes Sazzyuk, airlines do combine the total baggage weight of the party.

(Depending on who you are flying with depends on your weight allowance.)
Almond,

I meant to add that airlines have a maximum weight for cases, but it is usually more than your allowance.
This is for the health and safety of the baggage handlers.

Check on your documentation / airline website and you should find the details hidden in among the small print somewhere.

If any of your cases are going to weigh more than the maximum allowed then yes, you will need to take more.
But if they don't, then you will be fine.

(Hope I have explained this clearly.....I know what I mean :) )
We have just flown with Thomsons and our allowance was 20kg each (3 of us) I used to take 2 cases of approx 26-28kg between the 3 of us, but now the maximum per case is 20kg and you can`t combine allowances. We had to take 3 cases.
When going to Sharm make sure your cases are UNDER your allowance as on your return journey the check in staff try to charge you for being overweight.Mine weighed 17kgs and 19 kgs(my allowance was 20kgs each) at Gatwick but on checking in at Sharm they said they were 22kgs and 24kgs.This was after leaving toiletries,sun creams and books!.I was having none of it and stood my ground.There was no way they were going to charge me for being underweight!.Lots of folks have bought small scales to avoid this hassle.
Thank you all for the information.
Jay Trip, yes I have read this in this forum so I will be wary. Do you mean people are buying scales before they go and taking them? If so where do you recommend I get them from? I really do not want any aggro at check in as we are travelling with our 3 kids and they can give me enough aggro!!

I thought we would have to take seperate suitcases, the only problem is we can't get 5 cases in our car to get to the airport in the first place, oh well, we will have to take less and use the laundry.
I'm not taking 5 cases will have to weight carefully before we go and see what we can get away with in 4. :que
There is a thread somewhere about these scales.I think its on the holiday tips forum.Some are buying off ebay and also from Lakeland.
I just got rid of my trolley cases and bought 2 large holdalls on wheels which are very light.You dont need much day wear as most folks spend their time in beachwear.I put shoes and books in my flight bag and managed to keep the weight down.
hi
check out your flight companys web site. It should tell you all these thins. We flew with thomas cooke and they would not allow you to combine luggage, also it was only 15kg each. We were however all a little bit over but they didnt charge us either way.
almond,

It depends on when you are travelling. In effect, they now the same airline but this won't be official until 2009. Please refer to the dedicated Thomsonfly thread or First Choice thread where you'll find all the information, including baggage information. These topics are regularly discussed (the last few posts on the TOM thread are on this very subject). It helps to keep everything in one place for others to locate, and avoids duplication. Thomsonfly are one of the airlines that still have a standard allowance for hold baggage of 20kg (with a combined hold / hand allowance of 25kg). First Choice also have a standard baggage alowance of 20kg, + 5kg hand luggage. The reduction to 15kg doesn't come in to effect until 2009 and even then, it's on certain deals. For more informaion, refer to First Choice website.

If you post your flight details on those threads, we can advise further as it's not clear who you have booked with.

Darren
This topic has presumably been transferred from the Egypt forum. However, as Darren says, we already have dedicated topics in this forum discussing these issues, and so I will close this one now to prevent further repetition.

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.