Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I imagine that all you want to do is get on with your life and put this all behind you.

However, after the Scarlett murder, the other sexual assaults and the inadequacies of the police that was highlighted by these, I would ask you to please consider making the authorities here aware of the treatment that you received, if only to help anyone else who might fall into these circumstances.
It is truly appaling that a "civilised" country can allow its police to operate in such a fashion.

My wife doesn't often read these threads, which is just as well, as I am sure that she would be cancelling our holiday for next year, but even I have maybe begun to consider the possibility.

The fear of being without your insulin must have been completely terrifying.

Anyway, good luck to you and I sincerely hope that you don't suffer any long term effects of your treatment in Goa.

i just think its awful to be treated like that, you really should have taken it further, they should be made to apologise for treating you in that way, no wonder more people are starting to look elsewhere for their hols when you hear of innocent people going through horrid things like that... what a nightmare for you
Maybe a letter to Mr Keith Vaz MP, known for his love of all things Goa, then again he is an MP :duh
If I thought for one moment anything that I could do or say to anyone could save any man or woman going through my experiance, i would do it, there are many things I could say to all you people about I felt, from appalled to dirty and sick to my stomache, the aftermath of fear and revultion, to trust no one who looks Indian, to nolonger trust a nation of people because of one man may seem over reacting, but believe me it's not, I hope and pray that no one ever goes through what I went through, I chose to tell nobody about my experiance while in Goa but I forgot to tell my new swedish friends to say nothing and word soon spread, but that night after a shower(cold) I went to funnys shack, had a lovely butter chicken and a couple of beers, bob came and sat with me, with another man I shall call Baz, also his Indian friend called shitthoo, yes thats his name, and I never shortened it for any reason, we also had a shack boy called condon who hadn;t a clue why everyone called him Johnny, also joining us at the table were Christian and his partner, they are the couple who got me out of the nick and a new couple called Jo, she was from Newcastle and her partner Adam from Poland, they were a really nice couple in there middle 20;s who took an instant shine to me and proved to be good friends for 10 days, while in goa, it also gave me time to sit back and think about what had happened in the last couple of days, whatever do these poor women go through when they are assaulted? as a man I couldn't cope, when I sat down and thought about it(even today) it must be one of the most horrendous things that could happen to a woman, I also thought, what about if Charlie boy comes back with his mates, and then more thoughts, how do you tell your Daughter or my 2 older sisters(ONE IS 72 AND THE OTHER 74) both born again christians, that I had been sexually assaulted, should I confide in one of my new mates, 2 alcoholics and 3 complete srangers, I gave it some thought and went home to bed, I sat outside for a while and 2 policemen came up and asked what I was doing, they obviously didn't believe the swedish couple and were watching me, they told me the man who had coplained was not Goan and they had given him a sound beating, NO I didn't believe them nor did I trust them and they still wanted me to pay his hospital fees, I told them I would think about it and let themknow.
Danny
I can't belive this... I truly speechless! I'll need to have a think and a calm down before I add anymore to this thread. I truly am so so sorry for what happened to you.
This should have been reported to the British consul straight away.- trully shocking
What can anybody say? What a horrific experience.

I agree that you should report it. I'd type out a report of the whole incident and send it to the Goa Police (ha, ha), Goan Tourist Authorities, The British Consul, The Indian Embassy, your travel company, the travel sections of the Sunday newspapers and anybody else you think of.

Until the authorities deal effectively with the low-life (their own and imported), these wretched incidents will continue. They have to start to treat criminality for what it is rather than a profit opportunity. They are killing the Golden Goose.

Easy to say Lynndan, but when you've done that - move on. You've met many good people who have helped you and believe me, they do outnumber the scum that you met. Keep positive and don't let them embitter you. Don't let them win by changing your outlook. Good luck.
Everyone else has said what I want to say Danny and I am also speechless and totally lost for words. I cant believe the way you have been treated and feel sick thinking of everything youve been thru.
Take care and look after yourself.
Thank you all for your kind words of support, it is now time to move on with my holiday report, obviously it is all up hill from hereon in, except for--????
well you will have to wait and see, Gemma can you tell I.C that she can open her eyes now.
Danny
Danny will pass on your message, although she might read it on here first! Like everyone else, she has been so worried and upset about everything youve been thru.
I hope the rest of your holiday is more uphill and I am sure you will fill us in soon enough. Nothing can be as bad as what those horrible people put you through and your nightmare experience in a Goan jail. You seem like a strong person and have coped brilliantly with your dreadful experiences. I am sure it must be extemely upsetting for you to relive all this again in HT.
Words fail me right now.... thinking of you and keep strong xx
There are good people in the authorities in Goa. I can't find a link at the moment but a high up official in the Police suspended other Policemen when they unwittingly tried to get bribes at a roadside checkpoint. If you get this information (do you have the witnesses details?) to the correct people something may be done. Even if it is just an article in a newspaper some good may be done.

I know it's easy for me to say this sitting behind my PC but I really feel strongly what happened to you is horrendous. If those people hadn't come forward an innocent man could have died in prison!

I wouldn't feel confident if I was a victim of crime in Goa going to the police. All we seem to hear of the police on the forums is bribery, sun bed removal, intimidation and cover-ups. That sounds like another type of organisation to me....

I know its a different county and they have different ideas and regimes but every human being should have the same knowledge of right and wrong. Kicking and beating an older disabled person is wrong full stop!

I love Goa and I am aware of its darker side. I look forward to hearing about your happier times.
I agree Mardon sometimes things can be done. Our taxi driver told us a story about the police stopping him and wanting to search him for drugs, he has long hair and must admit he does look a bit wild but he is a lovely lad and as honest as the day is long. They stopped his taxi and told him to get out and they wanted to search him. He told them they were not going to lay a finger on him as they plant drugs on you so he said he stripped off himself at the side of the road so they could check! He was extremely annoyed and took the policeman's name and details as they had no reason to stop him and reported it to the police station and caused a fuss and got him removed to another area. He said never let the police touch you as they plant drugs on you and you must always get their details and report them. He said simply asking them their names and details makes them back off.
Yes this is good advice. Always ask if you will get a recipt if they demand money too. Usually puts them off.
Am I alone here in starting to find this all a bit too far fetched . We have a story that encompasses loss of a love one, disability, failure of hotel booking, a teetotaller in the UK who knocks it back like there is no tomorrow in Goa, groups of alcoholics, gay sex molestations, fights, police arrests, police brutality, Prison Break shennaigans, born again Christians and I have a feeling this saga is not over yet.
I am trying to write this in a way that wont get my reply pulled and it is true that a great number of readers have clearly believed everything and have given their heartfelt sympathy. Sorry to be a Doubting Thomas.
Think people of this forum had met Lynn and Dan so I can't see your post going down to well TBH.
Who on earth would make up a story like this?

Dan has obviously been through an horrendous experience and needs support to help him move on from this. The last thing he needs is someone suggesting he is embellishing or making up the story.
What a horrible experience, Danny. Thank goodness for the Swedish couple. You sound a strong person and time is a great healer. I'm sure you will gain strength from all of those who have posted messages of support.

I love Goa and feel safe there however as a female I don't do anything I wouldn't do back in the UK such as walking alone late at night or going to a party/club with total strangers. People are often lulled into a false sense of security and the rare attacks that get media attention are from people letting their guard down.
Sadly I've learnt over the years that many long-stayers are alcoholics, junkies or are running away from problems. Whilst I'm happy to join them for an odd drink and a quick chat it's often safer to give them a wide berth.

I agree with the other posters about writing your experience down and sending it to the Goan Police, British Consul and the Goan press.

Take care and be strong.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.