Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Lynndan

Think this is the first trip report of the season always enjoy reading them hope to muster up the courage to do one myself this time

Going too cavelossim in Jan so will be interested in how you get on in Benaulim :tup
silentman. I went to Cavellosim twice, the first time for a ride around, very quiet, the second time was on Betty's boat trip that travelled the shoreline it was very very quiet, that was Dec 16th.
I travelled from Anjuna down to Baga (dirty )down through Calangute ( disgusting ) on to Candolim, I tried to hire a room at the Palmar the room was 8feet x 6 feet with small balcony plus a shower and toilet she wanted 1,200 rupee's a night, the whole B.C.C. belt was empty you could get a room anywere because at best they were only half full but all there prices were sky high, I tried 2 more places and thought sod it I'm off to benaulim. got to benaulim got a room at the mango gardens ( 300 r/s a night ) I went to the Malibu gardens for a meal chicken xacuti a garlic naan and a kingfisher all for 200 rupees, that was 50 r/s less than Anjuna, I hired a new motor scooter for 150 rupees, 50 r/p a day less than the north, and before anybody jumps on me about not driving a bike in goa, in the last 12 months I've had 2 heart attacks, they have found that I have Angina and I need a triple bypass, that is on top of rampant artharitis and my diabetis, I couldn't walk anywere even if I wanted too, so I settled in to Goa life style, I had a magnificent time, Sorry must go again (tired)I will tell you of some minor adventures and the prices and just how empty south Goa is next time. Danny
Wasn't a great start but I'm glad it got better after the first two weeks. I'd love to get away somewhere warm for 8 weeks in the middle of the winter. With the way the pension age is soaring I am not sure if I ever will. Looking forward to the next part :)
hELLO FIONA,how wonderful to hear from you again, I hope you and your family have a happy new year.
the first thing most people will notice is the roads have been tarmaced, no preperations just new on old and this has left a 6 to 8 inch drop of the road down to the sidewalk, this leads to a lot of scratched knees, the second thing they will notice is how very quiet it is, I flew back on the 22nd of december and I can say on the 21st during the day there was just short of 100 people on Benaulim beach, there is apolice presence on the beach during the day so the beach sellers were a nuisance at night, 9 dvd sellers plus all the girls so not many people eating on the beach, I sat in pedro's and watched the sellers fighting on the beach all because some sellers had come down from Colva looking for business, in my last week 3 thefts had been reported, a mobile phone( he tried to sell it back to the owner) A purse with 2000 r/s in it and a chain snatch, so in my last week there were no sellers on the beach at all as they were the thieves.I did get to see the eclipse, sitting in the Malibu on the beach ( there is a malibu in the village) with a cold beer and no cloud disruption, lovely. Driving into Colva just to drive around the back lanes and enjoy the sun I was stopped by the police, my heart missed a few beats ( how many remember my last encounter with the colva police?) can we see your licence? no I haven't got one, were is your crash hat, haven't got one, there will be a fine, but all I have with me is 500 r/s in case I run short of petrol, lucky really because that was exactly the same amount as the fine!!!, I wonder if they knew that I had 3000 r/s in another pocket what the fine would have been.
for anyone who knows Benaulim or for anyone who wants to know here is a short rundown of eateries and prices, off the beach, going towards Maria hall, Tandy's, closed down, c fives lovely meals, chicken tikka masala, chiicken xacuti and butter chicken were all 120 r/ps ( the exchange rate was 80 r/ps to the pound ) with a garlic naan and a beer 200 r/ps, Dinahs was pretty much the same excert for thier dal soup (gorgeous) up to the x roads and behind the new supermarket is were the x pats have there brekkie, I had 2 banana buns 2 veggie samosa's and a bottle of limca all for 36 r/ps, back to the x roads, forget about kelly's bar it is still very poor across the road to ocean pearl ,fish chips and mushie peas 3 bred and butter with a beer 210 r/ps, Sorry tablets have just kicked in, back soon
,'
Back again, the service at the ocean pearl was very poor I saw as many as 5 people walk out because they were fed up of waiting for thier meals,as you walk down the road you come to the roof top, Milans place,a very popular place, I didn't eat there because I cannot climb the stairs, but my friends from Leicester ate there quite a few times, the place underneath the rooftop( forgot the name) is still popular I enjoyed a couple of meals there, the next one is emal m, Milans old place, not very good, over the road to my personal favourite place, Savio's, every sat. and Sunday in to watch the football, great steaks, every meal I had there was good and a good price, C.J knows how to look after you, before leaving savio's it's sad that Rocky the tuktuk driver has died of cancer aged 57 he sat at the bar neally every night, R.I.P. After savio's you have the Malibu in the village, I had most of my breakfasts here, coconut porrage, a bottle of water and a milk coffee all for 90 rupees and I used to have my last few drinks there late at night, the cottage garden is nice but not my cup of tea, down to Jacks corner, milans other place, nice but to many insects including mozzies, then down to Art design, the kitchen is run by Funny who ran Ran Rafaels on the beach, lovely place but far to much music and very loud, on the car park there is a man who sells bread pudding to the locals,
All in all I had a great time, my friends who I met on sadder times were there new friends who I had great nights with and the many Indians who remembered me, it was the best holiday I've had in 4 years, I didn't enjoy the north of Goa one little bit, but many people do and good luck to them, I will soon be back(god willing) I hope all who to Goa this season enjoy it as much as I did. Happy new year to you all Danny
Nice report Danny, Happy New Year to you too ;)
Lovely report there danny glad you enjoyed the south i'm a north girl but do like the odd few days down south bit of peace and quiet.
Would there be any photo's to follow your report due love looking at pic's from other peoples holidays.
Happy new year to you.
hiya sleeps, sorry no photo's, Lynn was the photographer I just close my eyes and remember great pictures in my mind, like the first sunset after the eclipse, magnificent, afriend I met out there is going to send me some photo's, I will try to pass them on.
Do any of you remember the guy from Nepal who worked at Pedro;s for the last 20 years ( always drunk ) Pedro finally had enough and sacked him, obviously with his reputation he couldn't get any work in Benaulim so he has moved on to Panjim. Danny
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.