Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Magnum Resort
37 Posts
Hello , we stayed there 1998 / 99 / 00 - nice hotel, great central position,food excellent,small pool but ok, (was at the beach every day so didnt use it ) staff very friendly and helpfull.Booked with manos travel and averaged £1300 for 2 adults for 2 weeks b+b.
Now stay near by, at the Alburquerque villas, booking our own flights.Have you been to goa before ? Have a look at some of the other posts on here,lots of views on other places.Also take a look at the photo gallerie/ page 6/ other destinations, I have some of the Magnum and will dig 'em out and put on for you . Spike.
Thanks Spike,

Me and my hubby are staying at Highland Beach but my sister is also going with us but couldn't get sole occupancy at our hotel so she is staying at Magnum. We've been to Goa twice before but she hasn't so we wanted her to stay somewhere half decent. We've looked before at Alberquerque and they seemed really nice but to go over Xmas & New Year we thought it was just as cheap to stay in a bigger hotel as the flights are more expensive that time of year.
Thanks for your replies. We're off this Saturday - will post a reply when I return to keep you updated.
Have stayed in Magnum last two years - have booked again for end of year. Totally agree with Spike, smashing location, lovely staff etc etc. First uear we had "cell block Goa" - back of hotel, sheets grubby etc etc but said hey this is India - did not rant at rep but just told him at end of hols about couple of things we were not happy with. This year took my own but we had lovely room overlooking pool, room was spotless, sheets/towels changed daily and as my husband does not get up till late the cleaners came in in the afternoon so as not to disturb him. I think the hotel was really working on any issues people had. Think it will be fine - as Spike says you are not in your room/hotel too much so - don't worry about any niggles - just enjoy!

By the way the Hotel have a lovely little dog now - I called her Madam (I give every critta I meet a name!) as she knew just how to work the audience. By the way there is a great little sports bar / restaurant a couple of doors down to the left of the hotel called Ice & Spice - really friendly guys, food is great but service is a little slow - try it and say Debbie and "Shearer" say hello and send their love - they will know who we are!
Hello Fredthedog,glad you like the Magnum,will always be a place we visit to eat once a year as the staff are still the same since our 1st stay a few years ago, and we always like to say hello. John the manager is a great bloke and will sort any room problems and kick some butt if not up to scratch !! Did you ever make friends with the really shy waiter called Prem ? Nice lad who is good mates with our shack owner Ganesh (they used to work together at the sunset hotel).
We too had the 'cell block' on the ground floor opposite the laundry room,didn't moan though (typical brits) but all the other years were on the top floor with pool view.
Started to 'run down' a bit 4 years ago so moved to another place,but may very well go back to Magnum if things are looking better.
glad to see this post - just booked the magnum for the 12th march yesterday - got v good deal & cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!we're not expecting flash just clean comfortable basic accom in a good location & attitude of staff/ manager makes a huge difference - so magnum sounds fine. will post review when we get back :D
Hi Millym, what did you pay for your deal? We are going this Saturday for two weeks, and check out Sunday, so we probably won't meet up.
hi sugarbabe - we paid around £500 each ( for 2 weeks)but were whacked with single room supplement :( for my mum in law who is coming with us & who obviously needs her own room.it would have been about £412 each if it was just a couple or 4 people. most travel agents /places we tried couldnt find many tour operators who would even accept a booking for a single adult in the party even though we were quite happy (well not happy i think single supplements are a b****y disgrace) to pay supplements.they just wouldnt even entertain a booking for 3 adults who needed 2 rooms. and i did spend ages on the net & phoning around. i know i should have not left it till the last gasp & maybe tried to get an apartment or something - will definitely be more organised next time.
have a great holiday - im sure the magnum will be fine and if your anything like us you wont spend much time hanging around the hotel anyway :D :D
Hi Millym, yes we paid the same £499 each. Have a great holiday. Isn't this a great website?
Could anyone tell us where in Candolim Magnum Resort is? What places are near, resturants and other hotels? How far away is the beach?
We have been to Candolim twice but we have not seen Magnum Resort. Recent years we have lived at Highland Beach Resort and Sea Breeze. Are these hotels near Magnum Resort?
magnum is next door to the elephant shop, in between alberquerce villas and burger bar which is not there now....www.johnthemap.co.uk

http://www.johnthemap.co.uk/pages/goa/candolim.html
Goa2006 - the Magnum is in a very easy location,off the main road.All restaurants you have probebly visited will be within 5 mins walk.As for the beach,you walk out of the entrance and the road is facing you,cross over the road and either turn left or right,within 20 yards you will find a path/road down to the beach - quickest one for you is right and down the side of the health center.
Highland beach is just round the corner,can't belive you have missed it !
My sister stayed at the Magnum last Xmas and really liked it.
I can also recommend James's Shack on Candolim Beach, if you head towards to Whispering Palms Hotel and turn left right at the bottom he was there last year.
James shack is right next to my friends shack - Ganesh's, James shack last year was set at the back of the beach as he did not pay the full licence.
have heard good and bad reports about magmun resort.We are due to go there in four weeks.Has anyone just returned?Any advice?
Hi chulme and welcome to our forum!
we have reviews of the hotel here
Im staying there next week so I will do a review for you when I get back

:D If im not too depresed about being back home :shock:
Hi Chulme.

Never stopped at the Magnum, but it always looks middle of the road for Candolim. No obvious problems I am aware of.

My best friend for the last seven years, Roshan, is one of the taxi drivers that operates from the taxi stand outside the Magnum, and is a truly great guy. Tell him Andy and Anne recomended him, and he'll treat you well. His taxi registration number is 5251.

We will be in Candolim from 20th Feb, stopping a a friend's apartment in the Aguada Holiday Homes, just down the road. Might see you?

Cheers

Andy (& Anne)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.