Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Yay!! im doing backflips about the smoking area airside. It seems over 30 emails paid off in the end. I'll start and use MAN more often than EMA now.
For those looking for car parking ive tried and tested a couple

Premier Park - Not bad at all, AA assistance on hand between 0800-1800 to help you get started if needs be (we did) plus it takes photos of your car when you pull in incase of any damage.

Jet Parks - Not bad at all, very good fees, We went in Jetparks 1 which is the first to be dropped off on the way back and you park your own car and keep your keys. Transfers are fantastic and very frequent. We were at T1 in around 5mins.

We usually stay at the Britannia Airport hotel. Granted this isnt luxury, but there is a nice pub just down the road called the farmers arms serving meals on a 2 for 1 menu and its a comfortable room adequate for what you need.
Smokers - there are smoking rooms hence why we choose it. You can get a package for 1 night hotel and 7 days parking on site for around £50-60 and also ones for 1 night and 15 nights car parking which isnt to be sniffed at but the transfers now cost £4pp per way i believe. We havent chose them this time as the transfers are diabolical and take ages with rude and arrogant coach drivers, plus on return we have never managed to get one and rather than endure a long wait so we opted to get a taxi instead. A tip for cabs would be to walk down the road and call one from there as they charge exortionate fees from the hotel.

This time however we have decided to plump for the 1 night hotel stay (£39) purely on the basis of a smoking room and that there is a cheap pub just down the road which is why we chose this over any other.

As we are away for 3 weeks on a honeymoon, we opted for Purple Parking, as the rate was cheap but more importantly they would help me get my car started on site without having to wait for a breakdown company to come and get us. That was the deciding factor as i can tell me battery will be flat as a fart after that time stood still. Most companies i emailed would not help if needs be.

I hope the info helps people.
By the way folks I emailed manchester yesterday and they say the airside smoking area in T1 will be open in a few weeks, they are finishing building it. T3 wont be happening as they cant find a suitable site.
Has anyone told you that your smoking is becoming an obsession?? Can't help you with it but I can make a suggestion about the car battery. Try something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=98358 , there are others available just search Google for: "solar charger" "car battery"
I dont think 80 a day is an obsession? Sheesh! ;)

However I am merely extatic that after so long areas are being placed due to customer demand.

People have posted about the topic and I am updating it for those who wish to smoke.

Thanks for the info about the car battery, ill look into it. It seems like a worthwhile piece of kit for £20.
80 a day is merely an addiction - it's the 30 emails that starts to look like an obsession!

You can probaby get a charger for a lot less than £20 if you go through the results in Google, the Maplins link was just an easy example to start with. Amazon's "market place" might be a good place to look once you know exactly what it is you need.
think I might need my tin hat asking this just now....but is there a smoking area in T2....I dont smoke but hubby does...and would be a better experience if he can have a fix while waiting for gates to open....tweetie
TWEETIE PIE,

Yes, there's now a smoking area air-side in T2 at Gate 300.

Darren
thanks darren.....last year we did a surprise holiday for hubby for his birthday....he thought he was just seeing us off for a wedding in rhodes...truth was we were taking him gran caneria....long story but got him all the way to the gates and he still hadnt a clue :rofl ...did a write up on here somewhere....he would have been on the tarmac thinking he could wave us off :wave: ...but he decided he needed a smoke and we could manage on our own...he needed a smoke more than we needed him....we went looking for the smoking area but got told there wasnt one....offered him one of the patches we had from the last time he tried to quit... but he wasnt having it....so had to spill the beans :( and tell him the truth because he was insisting he was off so he could have a smoke.

He knows he is going this year....and will be good if he can also have his fags while he waits airside

tweetie
I was only joking about 80 a day...god i think my lungs would have caved in.

My point all along steve was MAG own EMA..EMA has had a smoking area for donkeys, so whats stopped them implementing it at MAN earlier. Anyway this could be a long drawn out conversation but to end it on a high note, its a win this side.

Thanks again for all the info you have put about the car battery, im definately going to look into it for the future :)
Hey Flying High

Thats great news about the smoking area. We are going to Jamaica on 2nd May with Thomsons T2 do you know how far away from the usual Thomson depature desks Gate 300 is?

May be a daft question but if I don't ask I won't know :duh

Ta

Joyce
JoyceR27,

Airlines don't have designated gates, they are allocated on demand. More often than not, they use gates in the low numbers, ie 201-210 which is down towards the gate 300 area. However, they could be allocated a high number on the day, it's pot luck really. Gate 300 is downstrairs, oposite gate 206 (from memory).

Darren
Thanks for the quick response Darren just thought I would ask.

Nice to see you answer stupid questions as well :D

Joyce
JoyceR27 wrote:
Nice to see you answer stupid questions as well

There's no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer :wave:

Darren
hi darren.

do you know where abouts in t1 the smoking area will be in airside? a member in our party will be very happy about this, presuming that its completed by april 1st!

claire
fairypants,

Darren is away at the moment.

I have not heard yet where they plan to have the smoking area, although it is not an airport I use

Gower
its only what i heard in a previous post on the page before

"By the way folks I emailed manchester yesterday and they say the airside smoking area in T1 will be open in a few weeks, they are finishing building it. T3 wont be happening as they cant find a suitable site."

claire
Hi Claire,

He didnt actually tell me a location, he just said it was due to be finished in a few weeks. There will be some signs though and staff will help you find it.

Keep an eye on this page though as it will show up once finished.
http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/FAQs?OpenDocument&QUERY=Most-Popular#FAQSmoke
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.