Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
caroline davis,

It's possible for a taxi to drop you off, but they aren't supposed to wait. If you're more than a couple of minutes picking the tickets up, security may move you along. It's impossible to get lost between T2 and T1, it's just a long corridor via the station in the middle with bright yellow signs all the way!

Darren
Does anyone know if the new Escape lounge in T1 will have good aviation viewing also will it be worth the extra £s compaired to the other lounges?
Hi Dazbo, I am travelling to Cyprus in July can you tell me what the aircraft will be please. Thankyou

Manchester to Larnaca, Eurocypria ECA843 17/7 23.59
carl m,

Eurocypria use Boeing 737-800's. you'll find further information on the dedicted Eurocypria topic.

Darren
Flying from Manchester T1 to Varadero on 4th June. I've hired a car from Avis as my old tank won't make the journey. Can anyone tell me how far the drop off point is from T1 entrance. Also what and how much Roughly is the best lounge for my ''going to be stresssed Mrs'' to relax in before we go. Cheers, Steve
Gaspodesm8,

The Avis return is in the main T1 car park so it's not too far from the terminal. Lounge information is on Manchester airports website. It's around £20.

Darren
hi can anyone pls tell me what is they flight plan from manchester airport to havan in cuba hubby wants to know if we fly over part of ireland or straight down from manchester then across the atlantice ? thanks :cheers
Hi All,

We're leaving T2 for Cuba on the 10th of June. I've been reading recommendations that luggage to and from Cuba should be shrink-wrapped if possible to prevent theft. Does anyone know if this service is offered at Manchester as I can't find anything on their website?

Thanks
snowdrop1962,

Flight routings depend on oceanic clearance, NATS tracks and weather on the day. Assuming a H1Y departure off 23L, you'll head out over Liverpool, across Ireland to Shannon then across the Atlantic towards Nova Scotia then down the eastern seaboard of America, out over the Bahamas and directly in to Cuba. The routing is roughly the following, although closer to the coastline and sometimes slightly inland:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/MAN-HAV.gif

The trip distance is 4564 miles.

You can't fly a direct course across the middle of the atlantic, although a more southerly route via the Azores is somtimes used but that's only normally for eastern Caribbean destinations from MAN, or when transatlantic traffic is heavy.

Darren
puddleduck2,

I've never seen a shrink wrapping service at MAN. Having been to Cuba twice, I can't say I've ever had any issues in relation to luggage when travelling there. Just make sure your case is secure and any valuables carried in hand luggage. It'll probably be available in HAV for your inbound flight.

Darren
Hi,

Day before Check in at Manchester

We;re flying from Manchester this year and as we're coming from scotland and have got an early morning flight we are thinking about doing this when we arrive in Manchester . Does anyone know how this works and do you have to check in your hand luggage too?

Sorry for asking but we dont have this in Glasgow

Thanks

Chez
Mrsbonjovi79,

Personally, I don't see the point in day before check-in, but that's just me. It may be beneficial in your case as you're staying overnight locally, however for those that travel to the airport on the morning of the flight, I don't see the point in making two journeys at extra expense to save say 30 minutes of queuing on the day of the flight. All names on your booking must be present at check-in. You check-in and receive your boarding cards in the usual way at the designated desk. The excepton is if you're travelling to America were your boarding cards won't be issued the day before, you need to collect them on the day of your flight for security reasons. Your problem then is you won't have access to your luggage until your destination and any essentials, eg liquids, gels, sharps such as razors or a change of clothes are subject to restrictions when you go through security. Hand luggage must conform to the same size and weight limits and may be checked for compliance at the boarding gate if it looks to be in excess. Assuming you are traveling with Thomson Airways, further details are available on their website. Depending on who you are travelling with and when, it might be just as easy to keep hold of your luggage so you have access to everything if needed and so you can pack items and check them in without the worry of restrictions, and arrive at check-in that little bit earlier to beat the queues. That's just my opinion though, some that have used day before check-in will probably disagree.

Darren
Hi Darren,

Thanks for that, yes it is Thomsons we are going with and as we are coming down the day before all the stuff in the cases will just purely be for the holidays as we will have an overnight bag for the stuff needed in the hotel. We're still not sure if we're doing the day before check in but just wanted to see how it works.

Thanks

Chez
I've been reading recommendations that luggage to and from Cuba should be shrink-wrapped if possible to prevent theft.

Hi Puddleduck, Havana is well known for problems with pilfering from luggage - especially on the return trip when the luggage handlers have plenty of time to tamper with luggage after you've checked it in. You'll have no problems getting it shrink wrapped at Havana - Cubana in fact won't check-in baggage until it has been shrink wrapped and it's done free on production of your ticket.

But a friend did have stuff stolen from her bag on her outward journey Holguin - all the presents etc that she was taking out for friends their were stolen from her case. She has no way on knowing whether this happened at Gatwick or Holguin but it was a big case and hence clearly contained more than what the average UK holiday maker takes for a 2 week trip with them - it wouldn't take much imagineation to realise that it might be worth a second look . I've never had problems, including on internal flights within Cuba, but the trick is to deter the handlers from choosing your case and instead to select somebody elses. So I always wrap a load of brown parcel tape around it - looks unsightly but it makes it very obvious on arrival if your case has been tampered with. Friends do laught at me for doing it pointing out that anybody could replace it - parcel tape being cheap enough. Except if isn't in Cuba! After 'parcelling up' the case for the return journey I give the rest of the roll away and you'd be amazed at how much it is appreciated. Parcel tape is not generally available in Cuba and when it is it must be expensive. So much so that once after a last night in a hotel in Havana, I had just left it in the room but the chambermaid came rushing down to return it to me as I checked out and was just as pleased when I said that she could have it as she was the nailpolish I'd left with a little note for her!

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.