Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
mapusa market
12 Posts
We returned from Goa on Sunday(18th) and went to both Mapusa on Friday and Anjuna on Wednesday,no problems,several police wandering about. Mapusa is also open on other days but it is mainly the shops around the outside,Friday is deffo the best day. :cheers Paula
Got back Monday, went to Mapusa 3 times in 5 weeks, twice on a Friday and once on a Tuesday no problems, on both the Fridays there were more stalls than on the Tuesday. Last Friday there were a lot of police around but it most definately still on.

Anjuna was on every Weds too. The saturday night market was closed the whole time we were there but that was the only one that we were aware of.
Hi All

we prefer to go on any day EXCEPT Fridays as its hiked up for tourists. Its really busy on every day still and prices are far cheaper!

xx
Have to agree with the last post, any day but Friday, thats when the prices go up and droves of beggars arrive. Alan
I think you must have gone to the market on the day there was a strike across various sectors of Goa (which I think was related to the taxi problem in south Goa - I think, or was it to do with the destruction of the Hindu temples... one of those...).

The market is otherwise always on. There is a wider range of items on a Friday and is generally more busy because of locals rather than tourists so don't know why you're being charged more...???

I love the mapusa market! - It's great...
we visited Mapusa market on our last visit in december, it was so colourful, I bought some beautiful sari material bedspreads for a few pounds each and lovely leather sandals and brightly coloured silk beach bags, well worth a visit :)
Friday, there are more local people and more stalls (it's the main market day). Whatever day you go I suspect that people may try it on a little more with you, but if you know your price for the goods you want you'll work it down to the price you want to pay. This isn't Anjuna Market, but you might have to make a bit of an effort and barter. The range of shopping is at it's best on a Friday, not for tourist benefit, that's just the main day, as some other posters have said.
I was in Mapusa yesterday it is open as usual and Anjuna. trouble is they are ripping you off more that they usually do, as I have been before they can not get the money off me, but for first timers I feel really sorry for them, they dont realise how much they are paying over the true price.
Tomitma that is disgusting. If the Goans think it is quiet this season then wait til next season :yikes
we went to mapusa market...and although it was an experience to go i wouldnt go again....in my opinion it was more a locals market
It's a great place for taking pictures, there is always something happening and you will see a variety of things for sale you wouldn't normally see here. Its a fascinating and vibrant place , but go fairly early to avoid the hottest and busiest time of day. Fizz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.