Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
I'm keeping in regular contact with the situation in Sousse and it's looking good. The people on the first flights in were met with flowers and cheering at the airport and all the airport staff were clapping them. Apparently visitors are being stopped in the streets PEK and thanked for returning as they are so pleased to see us.
thats fantastic news a lovely gesture and it will be a pleasure to get back there am sure :D
Neil,

Who did you book that great deal through. I am trying to look for this coming sunday 27th!

Never been to Tunisia before.
Pete
it took me a few days to find it but spotted it buried on the hypermarket web page :D
Thanks for that Neil. I checked it out and have found a good IA deal at Maharaba Club-- also a few others in that chain in Sousse. My nearest airport is Cardiff but the return flight leaves at 20.00hrs so I can envisage a lot of hanging around after check out. I may opt for Bristol where the return flight leaves about 10am.

A lot of 'add-ons' to the prices though. We will have to have at least one case of 20kgs check in, i guess. In-flight meals I think are worth taking. Always seem to spend more if we buy food etc to take on board. Also I think it helps the flight to pass by quicker.

One question I would like to ask regulars to Sousse etc. Is it adviseable to take the shuttle bus or not. I think the hypermarket site charges £20 each return.

Fleetway.com have similar prices. Strange how the rates for check-in luggae and meals and transfers are either cheaper or more expensive. They both work out more or less the same in the end.

It appears as a lot of you regulars like Sousse and that pleases me. I hope the hotel is within a reasonable walk to town etc.

My wife and I have NEVER been AI before and would welcome any tips or advice etc.

kindest regards, Pete
i dont bother with transfer to sousse its max 20 dinar in taxi if you dont mind to haggle and make sure price includes luggage and is not per person 15ish return :que
there plenty places to exchange money when you arrive in airport (check it befor you leave counter and keep receipt)
take all sun lotion and toilet stuff with you in can be expensive there
couple half bottles (or full) of good whiskey can be great idea for gettting perks (hotel manager for kepping room on day you check out or instead of tips)
travel kettle for room if you like a brew as very rare to have them in room (powder milk) or fill a pocket in aiport as you leave as i do and sugar sachets :really
top tip for me is i always print 10+ mini money exchange rate tables befor i go and laminate them to keep in pockets bags etc for shopping trips.
also i take couple 2way walkie talkies complex can be massive and there great if your in one shop and mrs in another looking at same thing and trying to get best price local shop keepers soon drop the price to get the sale :rofl
if you smoke Mars red are ok and a good price
Neil.

Thanks for the tip re the taxi. Definitely will do that. I guess it is good to get to hotel before the main hoard on the coach transfer.
Must remember to take our kettle and bits and bobs. I think we will opt for the maharba royal salem. Seems ok from what I can gather. Will have to listen to all the advice on this site about tipping and all inclusive. We have never been AI before and rarely go on packages.

A couple or so questions Neil. You seem to know Sousse well. is it possible to walk along the beach to either Sousse or PEK? We love doing things like that. We are both in our 60's.

I read somewhere about taking trips out from Sousse from the railway station- seems a good idea to me that.

We have also heard horendous stories of rip off excursions etc booked with the rep but I read that some sort of 'cabaret evening' is a good thing to do. Any views on that Neil? Any other bits of advicxe, tips etc would be so much appreciated.

kindest regards,

pete
top tip for me is i always print 10+ mini money exchange rate tables befor i go and laminate them to keep in pockets bags etc for shopping trips

A good tip Neil, I do the same using the HT Holiday Tools (tab at top of page) very handy for working out the price of purchases, I usually print off both a to and from exchange currency and laminate them back to back.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/tools.php
you can walk to PEK yes and into sousse no problem i go to PEK for lunch most days (oh in a taxi lol) beach is covered in seaweed of season as its not dragged as much many people think its just unclean but its only Tunisia seaweed nothing else.

Beach vendors have never bothered me a simple no and they will pass by (i am 6ft 2 shaved head and 18stone though :rofl) shopping is same you will get pestered but a NO then a stern NOOOOO then the school boy french swear words kickin (so as not to get a clout from the Mrs) and its enough for the more persistent shop keeper to leave.

in short its fun just take it as you find it and go with the flow i have never had an issue there and always go prepared for ever the boy scout.

Plenty tummy tablets and hydralite drinks sachets are a must same as any holiday to be safe, if you get a good price no reason why you have to eat in hotel every day there are some great places to eat.
tips when your staying A1 is in my opinion upto the individual, i do tip my maid my waiter and barman, the waiter always in secret as some head waiters will take all tips from them if they see.
I will tip waiter each evening so as to catch his eye a liitle quicker as i will the barman every time he attends table with drinks.

another top tip for A1 :cheers
some hotels have plastic cups for drinks both inside and out by the pool i tend to take a couple glasses with me (they travel inside my kettle) and upto now have never been refused.
Some will only swap to plastic in the evening but if you have tipped your waiter a little he may just suprise you ?

A1 wine is a great shout in tunisia for me and most hotels will SELL you a bottle from a wine list over dinner if you fancy treating yourself (when paying for wine is great opportunity to tip waiter on the sly also)

My medical bag always has some ant gel poison in it for ground floor rooms a few drops on your first day outside away from the patio :D prevention far better than cure
In restaurants etc is it possible and normal to pay using plastic? I don't usually do that but just in case I have to etc.

Also where would be the best place to change some money up. I'll be there on Sunday 27th. Would there be an ATM at Monastir airport? I will be taking the shuttle bus with everyone else so I don't know how much time I will have to going looking around for one. Would hotels have an ATM or is it a bad rate for cash as usual. Mind you, having said that I can remember being in Egypt and getting the best rate on offer. What do you regulars suggest we should do.

Thanks,
Pete
you can use cards in most places (just ask prior to eating)
there are plenty change kiosks in airport when you arrive i take English notes to change once there for first few days.
I have spare cash notes to exchange in hotel or out and about in various exchange locations
I then use a pre charged master card in ATM or shopping to prevent clone and ident theft etc (rates depend on who card is with)
Next if that goes is my normal bank card in ATM
Credit Card and American Express travel cheques in hotel safe for emergency just in case but thats me
also take a look at Kiltmans Tunisian Currency / Money / ATM Q&A's topic on here its has most questions and answers in there :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.