Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Unfortunately the last review we have is for 2007 found HERE

If anyone has stayed recently, please add your review.

TIA

Kath x
Hi Mark - although I havent stayed at this hotel we have been into the gardens and seen the pool areas which were very nice. We visited the zoo and stopped for ice cream and the interior was very nice too. It is in a quiet location and right on the banks of the Nile. You will probably need to get a taxi into the main town area - it is walkable but quite a walk and hard going in the heat. We have stayed at Sonesta St George which is very central and lovely. Also stayed at the Morris hotel and on Sunday will be trying out the Old Winter Palace.
Kath, I'm going to the non-golf resort. I think its the one listed as Movenpick Jolie Resort in Luxor.

Anybody able to recommend a good place to book tours / excursions from once we're ovre there?

Thanks,

Mark
Hi Mark :wave:

Anybody able to recommend a good place to book tours / excursions from once we're ovre there?

Go in to Luxor and there are several tourist companies located at the front of the Sofitel Winter Palace Hotel, from personal experience (several times) I can recommend a well known company called Jolley's, there are several other small travel agents located there for you to compare them against.

Remember that you can haggle the price down slightly wherever you go.

As I mentioned Jolley's is located to the right of the Sofitel Winter Palace hotel in Luxor and here is a recent price list, all Prices all in Egyptian Pounds (Le)

West Bank (inc Valley of Kings, Valley of Queens, Hatshepsut temple) 300LE
East Bank (Karnak & Luxor temples) 210LE
Camel Ride 45LE
Karnak Sound & Light 130LE

Graham :cheers

ps Kath, that is the wrong hotel, the one your link takes you to is in Sharm, it is this hotel http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/egypt/the-nile-valley/luxor/maritim-jolie-ville-kings-island-luxor/ the hotel changed 2 years ago and is now the Maritim Jolie-Ville Gardens (no hotel listed in Review section) which might explain why there are no recent reviews.
of flip lol - will get it right soon - thanks Graham. :tup
Kath x
Thanks Graham. Is the west bank tour an all day thing?
Hi Mark

Thanks Graham. Is the west bank tour an all day thing?

No, you are usually picked up in the early(ish) morning and back by about 12-1pm to avoid the heat :sun

Graham
we have been 2 times ,going back in september ,we love it there, :)
I can change the hotel details but am a little lost. Is the Movenpick Jolie which we have listed as in Luxor now the Maritim Jolie-Ville Gardens? It's just that I can't find any details - just for the Maritim Jolie-Ville without Gardens............arghhh

http://www.classic-collection.co.uk/egypt/luxor/maritim-jolie-ville-luxor-island-resort#offers
Hi Glynis
Is the Movenpick Jolie which we have listed as in Luxor now the Maritim Jolie-Ville Gardens?

The correct name is just The Maritim Jolie Ville Luxor Resort, there should be no gardens, island etc.

http://www.jolieville-hotels.com/luxor_welcome.php

Graham
Hi Graham - thanks for the price list and explanation - the west bank tour that costs about 300LE, is that spread out over a few days? I'd read it's just a short taxi ride to Luxor and Karnak temples, do we really need Jolleys for that? Or do they make it a much better experience?

We're there for two weeks so am just planning out how many days we'll want for each activity / area etc.

Thanks!

Mark
Hi Mark

the west bank tour that costs about 300LE, is that spread out over a few days

No, this tour takes place in just the one day and takes a few hours to cover the various sites. There is an alternative to booking through a travel agent and that is to either find a reliable taxi driver (the hotel can arrange this) and get them to take you to the sites or you can get the ferry from Luxor to the West bank and get a taxi from there to the sites.
This works out cheaper but the disadvantage of this is that you have no Egyptologist to guide you, and in my opinion they are invaluable for your first visit.

I'd read it's just a short taxi ride to Luxor and Karnak temples, do we really need Jolley's for that? Or do they make it a much better experience?

I would suggest that you do these on your own without booking, they are soooo easy to get to and find your way about, just pay the few LE at the entrance.
I would recommend that you visit Luxor temple in the evening to get the best from the setting sun and subsequent floodlighting of the temple.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/570049876HQqArF;jsessionid=abcGaVxsdPmFCgdfwB4is

Karnak temple can be done during the day again very easily from Luxor without booking any excursion, there is a sound and light show at Karnak Temple in the evening which is worth going to see, again this can be booked easily independently, although you will have to check the times for the English narration.

Going to PM you with some more info.

Graham
HI Mark

Just another small tip, the Maritim Jolie Ville Luxor Resort is located a short distance outside of Luxor so you will probably take a taxi on occasion, remember to agree the price in Egyptian pounds, *PRIOR* to getting in, the price should be about 30-35LE per taxi not per person.
Thanks for all the info - anyone know what the snorkelling is like in the area? Or do we need to go to Sharm for that?
Hi Mark

No snorkelling, you would have to go to a Red Sea resort.
How much is it to get from Luxor to Sharm? Is it worth doing for a days snorkelling?
Well its about 120 pounds the other way ie Sharm to Luxor. I wouldn't pay that to go snorkelling for a day but I guess its an individual choice.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.