Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
wendywu,

There's nothing to worry about with regards to haggling. It's something that we aren't used to that's all. Whaever price the seller comes out with initially, offer about 1/3 of that price in return. They'll then come down and you'll come up to agree a price somewhere in the middle. As long as you're happy to pay the price agreed, that's all that matters. It can be quite fun, although not as fun as haggling in Kenya!

Darren
Thanks you, we have been to turkey the last 7 years. My younger daughter often comes with us and we go to the markets and enjoy them.

But this year both daughters and boyfriends are coming so they do the market alone they don't need mum ( well that's my excuse ). That is why they are worrying. But i will tell them to knock a third off .

Roll on tomorrow :cheers
One more thing about haggling, if they are still not happy with the price, turn and start walking away. This will result in the seller chasing after them with a better price or an extra garment if it is clothes they are buying.

Les
Further to my earlier post, we were on Altinkum Market this morning and asked a guy who said, 100 lira(£35), which was the first figure that came into his head. So, your daughters should get TWO, if not THREE handbags for £10, provided they stand their ground !!

Les
The thing is though they wont be much different from the handbags you can get in markets in the UK for £12.50 off of stalls. The quality of things is very variable, if you are bothered about buying real leather that will last you will still have to pay real leather prices not plastic prices if that makes sense.

Definaltely haggle big time as if you pay something like £35 for a fake plastic handbag you will have been seriously ripped off.

Some people will have been daft enough to have parted with the £35 because they think they are getting something special and that makes it worse for those who come along after, or some will have paid £17.50 thinking they have got it for half price, ergo a bargain, but if it's then sold to the next person for £10 they have in effect been ripped off to the tune of £7.50.

xxxx
I used to buy 5 handbags for £10 at the markets and give them to charity shops when I got home. :rofl
I dont buy them now but if I did want a nice bag i would buy it in a shop in the resort but haggle to get the price you want to pay.If they dont come down to a reasonable price I walk away.
Well we are still in turkey, they all went to the market and had a really good time shopping . They got plenty of clothes but they did not have the handbags the girls wanted .

Never mind there is always next year :tup
I've already got a couple of fake designer bags but this time I want to get a really nice leather handbag while I'm in Altinkum. How much do you reckon is a fair price?
Roswell, there's a good selection on the market but have a good look at them and be prepared to haggle hard. There's also handbags for sale in Didim Shopping Centre at the bottom of Ataturk Boulevard, once again you need to haggle for a better price, the quality may even be better here.

Les
Thanks Les, I've got a hankering for a nice, soft leather bag so hopefully I'll strike lucky!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.