Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Hi Everyone,
Sadly we have decided to postpone Crete until 2008!
Didn't want to take the risk of dodgy weather,so will book for may/June 2008 fo Marni Village.
We are off to Polis in Cyprus instead.
I look forward to hearing Tinka14 report on her return.
Cheers,
Heather2 - which restaurants didnt you like?

I've only had one bad meal and that was at Emmanuel on the square.

Every where else has been great.

The hill is steep - dont let anyone tell you different - I would never walk up it.

My point was that you can have a perfectly good holiday without leaving the village (if you dont like the beach).

As I said - Car Hire / a five euro cab ride cuts out the need to climb the hill.
Why not use the Hersonissos landtrain. It operates from Taxi station at Hersonissos, Old Hersonissos, Piskopiano, Koutouloufari, Nana Beach then down high street back to Hersonissos.

It stops in each of the villages so I am sure you are able to get off.
We had a very dodgy meal at the Dianades, the first one with a roof top as you walk up from Marni. we also thought the Sports Bar was poor. I agree with you on Emmanuel, although my hubby liked it, I think that the one opposite was so so as well. But being in that trade probably makes me over critical. Loved 'Seaview' Maria and her husband were so friendly and very well priced. Loved the place where they wear the Togas, fab service.

I know the metaxa strong but I never saw the train around the villages only down the bottam. Total agree you can have a wonderful time without going down there. Koutouloufari needs an ATM machine, big time!
I know I said it was a steady climb, and it really was, but we walked up the hill from Star Beach, and being an old giffer, unable to compete with mountain goats, I would recommend that route to anybody.

:P :P
I must point out that there is a cemetary at the bottom of that hill as well. I think it's mainly for those of my age who tried going up the main road from town.
:roll: :roll:
Blimey..I'd better step up my gym sessions in preparation for this hill!!! We can see from Google Earth - marvellous website! - that there is a hill and there seem to be a few ways down it..down isn't the problem usually (unless you have stayed at the top of ones of the hills in Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria and walked dowm, I'm sure my knees have never been the same since! :( ) it's up the causes the problems....if we venture into Hersonnissos for ATM purposes etc I'm sure I can persuade hubby to take a taxi a couple of times.
Hi heather2,

There are some which are a bit "samey" (including that roof garden one)that we dont eat in now - and you cant call the sports bar a restaurant - the food is rubbish in there!

Gallini's is the toga place - although they only started wearing those last year so I enjoyed taking the mick last summer.

We tend to stick to three or four, Gallini, Marianthi, Lychnos (in Pisko) and another one in isko whose name escapes me, but its a v small place on a steep alley leading upto the church square - they do the best tsatziki i've ever tasted.

If you are in the trade I can appreciate how you would have high standards!!
Geoggy, come on tell us the name of the other place in Pisko. I know the others you speak of - all excellent choices, and another you left off: Mezes, Christine and Alex place
http://www.mezesbyalexandchristine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=40
Hi all, just 10 days to go!!!! :D Getting a tiny bit excited now - Mezes has had some good reports and sounds like our kind of place and can control what you eat..I'm afraid I have been on a healthy eating/exercise plan since Jan 2006 and I'm not far off losing 2 stone now so have to keep it up! :roll: Fortunately love things like Greek salad etc so looking forward to it all!
Tinka14
tankard honestly cant remeber - might be michaels??

put it this way, if you walk past mezes, as you get closer to the main centre of the village you take a left turn that almost doubles back on the way you came, and it goes up towards the church square. it is just on the left up there.

put it this way - there is only one taverna near the church in the village - its that one! about 3 to 4 tables outside and some inside.
Hi all, well I'd better try and get the name of this mystery restaurant in Pisko even if we don't eat there! Seems like we will be spoiled for choice for food in the 3 villages, just over a week to go and haven't started packing yet (although have bought a shedload of new clothes to put in suitcase!)
Tinka14 aka World's Best Shopper!
Tinka14

Let us know how the holiday went :D :D
Hi dotchas and everyone else, we had a fab time - the Marni Village is a lovely complex and Koutouloufari has some excellent restaurants and some good shopping!!! :) The weather was just perfect and getting hotter every day we were there....to see all of Crete, you'd probably have to live there, it's such a big island!
I will write a full review very soon but have just come back from London this weekend gone,(I know back from Crete one weekend, off the next weekend!) am frantic at work again, have masses of ironing to do etc etc! :roll: Argh!
In short, if we didn't have soooo many others places we want to visit in the world still, we'd go back!
Tinka14
I am going to Marnie Village Apartments in August. I have never been to Greece or any of the greek islands before so this is a first for me and my family. Recent media reports have said the temperature is so high a few people have actually died. Anyone know what the weather is like in August. Is the air conditioning good at Marnie?
Are mosquitoes a problem. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks
We went on 15 August last year, it was hot/very hot. The air con in the apartments is great our fridge had a freezer compartment and we used to get ice from the pool bar to stick in there for our drinks.
Thanks. Got some ice bags to take with me. Was considering hiring a car from the airport. Has anyone done that? Are the road signs easy enough to follow?
jean the most important things are

sun protection [try and stay out of the sun during the early afternoon when it is hottest

DRINK plenty of fluids by this i mean soft drinks as alcohol increases dehydration

one phrase you may need,

ena bookali nero horis anthrakiko parakalo [a bottle of still water please]

wizard
Jeancassi

We've been to Marni for the past few years. Going again next week. its fab Ok its a bit steep but thats the area. The staff are great. Ilija in the bar in the evening and Lilla. You have to try Gallini's even for the experience. Its a bit pricer that the rest in Koultoulefari but you get what you pay for. Also esperos rooftop restaurant is good. try the Greek night in old Hersonnessis on Monday nights great Craic and lovely Food. You'll certainly return - Have a great one Jamass!!
:lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.